Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which slalom ski for a 13 year old boy?

Lieutenant Dan

My 13 year old son has grown at least 6 inches taller since last summer and has of course put on some weight although he is skinny (maybe 115 lbs.). He has been skiing on a 61" O'Brien junior slalom and can run the course at long line, 19.3 mph. I intend to push him a bit harder this year to improve.

Any suggestions on good medium performance skis to move him up to?

Anyone have a used "adolescent's" ski lying around gathering dust that I can buy?

If it were me, I'd go 65" Ho Triumph or 65" Radar Senate. He's a little light at 115, but would have plenty of room to grow into either. Both are a bit wider than norm...for added forgiveness & starts. I think Wileys may have some leftover deals on the Triumphs.

I'm 1 year ahead of you. My 14yr old son is now ANOTHER 4" tall, and another 20# heavier at 133. He skied all last year on a Connelly RS-2. It's a 7 year old ski, but for advanced recreational skiing, it's been excellent. We don't have a course nearby. I'm thinking about stepping my kid up. Interested in my RS-2?

[edit] Oh...boot and RTP...

Edited by JeffS

IMO dont put him on anything shaped like a triumph/senate, especially because he is running the course!! If he wants to get a little bit more into slalom and is keen, he will probably pick up 3-4 speeds over the summer. Something shaped will become too fat pretty quickly. Im 6' at 140 pounds of pure muscle :biggrin: and a 65" in that ski is too big for me.. Maybe look for something like a 65" CDX. You could probably find a 65" monza for 300 with boots probably... Whatever you find, make it a 65" IMO.

Edited by Toby

hmmm again its a probably getting a little fat and big for him. its about half an inch wider than most higher end skis. but would definitely be a better choice than many.

:plus1:

That would be a great ski for him. Plus you could get some bindings rather cheap that he will most likely grow out of in one or two summers.

Ski-it-again has quite a few slalom skis to choose from. If it were me, I would definitely go with used over new for a kid unless you don't care about spending the money.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom

Edited by areamike

Last summer my 10 year old was skiing on an HO Odyssey which is a 63" wide ride ski and skiing into 30 mph at long line at about 115-120 pounds. After Nationals I picked up a used D3 X5 in 65.5" and he ran a best of 4@32 mph.

For the speeds your son is skiing at a little extra floatation wouldn't hurt. I saw a kid at a tournament run 26 mph on a Connelley mid.