Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Superbright LED's

Wakesetter

I just installed the 6 LED clusters and having an issue with a few of them. I installed about 8, daisy chained together. On 4 of them (so far), only 3 of the 6 LED's in the cluster are working. I swapped out two assuming just bad lights, they worked, then the same issue happened again. I can't find a pattern. Pods that were working perfectly fine, suddenly the same three went out. It is not in the same position in the chain, its not the last light, there are pods later in the chain that are working fine as well. Has anyone had this issue or know why this may be occuring?

Hmm...are you running them in parallel? Since each pod has it's own resistor, running them in series would cause loss in voltage and overly sensitive LEDs might cut off. Worked on my boat yesterday replacing the stock white LEDs with blue and no probs so far.

Hmm...are you running them in parallel? Since each pod has it's own resistor, running them in series would cause loss in voltage and overly sensitive LEDs might cut off. Worked on my boat yesterday replacing the stock white LEDs with blue and no probs so far.

Sounds like the wiring is in series. You will need to run the wiring in paralle. i.e. a power feed per light cluster to main tain the required voltage for all culsters. The easy way to accomplish this would be to run a single wire from the switch to a termanal block near the installed location, then from the termenal block to the clusters.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I removed the bad lights and hooked them up to their own power source individually and the same problem occured. I have replacement lights on the way. Hooking up in series wouldn't have damaged the lights would it? None the less, the ones left in the boat all work (for now). When the new ones arrive, I'll run a separate wire to those and hope for the best!

Thanks for the info. This forum is a great source of information!

Thanks for the info. I removed the bad lights and hooked them up to their own power source individually and the same problem occured. I have replacement lights on the way. Hooking up in series wouldn't have damaged the lights would it? None the less, the ones left in the boat all work (for now). When the new ones arrive, I'll run a separate wire to those and hope for the best!

Thanks for the info. This forum is a great source of information!

To hook them up in series you would have had to wire a postive of one to the negative of another and so on and so forth. I really doubt you wired them like that? More likely you wired them in parallel where you just combined the positive and negative leads from the LED's to a 12v+ and 12v- source. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it this way and it would not have damaged the lights.