Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast de-winterizing?? help!

hjelmjw11

I was going riding for the first time this year and my ballast tanks were just filling up in my hull setting off the bilge. I bought the boat when It was winterized so I don't know what the mechanic did? Is it posible he disconnected the line that screws into the tank, and if so how the hell do I get to that on a 04 23 xti? The water pours in fast, too fast for there to be a crack In the tank I am hoping!

You probably have the drain hose that connects to the ballast disconnected. You will just have to trace the hose lines to make sure they are all connected.

If the boat was winterized when you bought it who reconnected all the hoses for the engine?

You probably have the drain hose that connects to the ballast disconnected. You will just have to trace the hose lines to make sure they are all connected.

If the boat was winterized when you bought it who reconnected all the hoses for the engine?

I managed to do that part...

Make sure all the T handle and rear transom drain plugs are installed, circulating pump hose connected, the manifold drain hoses connected to eachother, check engine block drains/knock sensors make sure they are there, check the sea water pump hoses, and the oil cooler hose, hot water for shower if you have one, heater hoses/heater core if you have one, no v-drive hoses/plugs to worry about... then if still taking on water close the ballast fill pump valves below the pumps. If you are still taking on water you have other problems maybe shaft packing but by the way you make it sound its a lot of water so probably not packing. Once you have all the pump valves off, a dry hull, test eack tank while on the water or elevate the boat nose up and start at the front tank and go back test each tank by using a fake a lake to test each ballast untill you find the leak. Its not uncommon for the tank fittings to break and leak.

Its not uncommon for the tank fittings to break and leak.

I'd bet good money this is the issue. I had a '05 vRide that broke several of the fittings. I ended up replacing four of them on the rear tanks.