Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water Pump

Got some good sets in this year already!! Was checking out the boat Thursday to see if the dripping from the shaft seal was at the correct rate, and discovered a drip from the back of the raw water pump. Other than being anal about having everything on the SSLXI working and looking right, is there any reason to replace or repair the pump? It leaks a drop about every 15 seconds while the pump is running. Certainly not enough to worry about the bilge filling up--the shaft seal drops water faster than that. Is there any danger of the pump failing? I have searched the forum to see if anyone reported a failure and couldn't find anything. Anyone tried to repair the seals in a raw water pump? It may be easier to just replace it with one from Skidim--I just wonder if this is a high priority item.

Not sure how yours is setup, personally I would just check it once every time out and also make sure it's not leaking on to the alternator. I wouldn't think it's a big deal if you're maintaining the correct temp.

The raw water pumps are dependable pumps when everything is working well. Being a positive displacement pump, they draw the lake water in by creating a vacuum. If the pump is leaking water you can bet that it's leaking vacuum when it's attempting to prime itself. The leak will only get worse and the delay in priming equals to a dry impeller. If you got 10 years out of this pump change the seal and have piece of mind...

:plus1: Yes, change the seal as soon as possible. How many hours on the boat/pump? If the pump has a lot of hours you might want to get a new pump. The immortal words of Chuck Yeager "Never wait for trouble". The last thing you need is cooling system :blowup: .

yep skidim should have everything for you. I would replace the pump before fixing.

Edited by Killer

I have a leak where the pump that houses the impeller joins onto the engine. It is spitting a large amount of water into the boat. I believe this is the raw water pump. How much work is it to change? I am going to call skidim tomorrow and get the right part and hope to get it fixed by next weekend. I put the boat in the water anyway because we had a short window. Hopefully it won't be a big deal to fix.

460 hours on the boat--I am the third owner so I don't know if it has been replaced or not. Is replacing the seal a big deal? I would love to find an exploded view of the pump to see how difficult/easy it would be.

What are the correct tools?

allen wrenches t remove the raw water pump. As for tools to remove/replace the seal, that's a good question.

Look here

EDIT: Mine was leaking a year ago and I just replaced the whole pump.

Edited by areamike

guys get yourself a copy of the clymers manual, it has everything you need to pull the pump and parts fiche so you know how it all goes together.

I would just replace the pump, you can always try and fix the one you have now, keep it as back up or sell to a needy crewmember..

River Rat, are you sure it's not leaking out of the weep hole? Water pumps have weep holes to let you know if the internals are working or not. No leak from weep means good inside. If it's weeping, that means bad bearings/shafts or something else in the pump. If it's weeping, that means either a rebuild or replacement.

Talked to Skidim today and was all set to get a new pump. After a couple of questions, they sold me the seal and promised that was all I needed. Props to them for saving me about 150 bucks!! That is a good vendor!!

Talked to Skidim today and was all set to get a new pump. After a couple of questions, they sold me the seal and promised that was all I needed. Props to them for saving me about 150 bucks!! That is a good vendor!!

I had the same conversation. The seal is supposed to arrive on Friday so hopefully the installation will go smoothly.