Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower mirror arm modification

obski

I have a tower mounted mirror arm I bought as part of a group buy from Rod R a while back. I like the looks of the arm and it has worked well, except that I have never been able to adjust it such that the mirror comes to the horizontal. I was in e-mail contact with Rod last year and sent him pictures of his mirror arm on my tower. He said that he was working on a modification that would allow another level of adjustment to the mirror position. He had said that he hoped to have it ready by this past Spring, but nothing ever came of it as far as I know. I have been unable to contact him since then as he has not been returning e-mails now.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to contact Rod, or if someone has another answer to straighten out the mirror. I believe that something along the lines of the modification he put together for the Cipa Extreme mirror would work.

This picture should give some idea of how the mirror is situated on the boat:

post-108-1128537787_thumb.jpg

I know that Rod's responded to somone on WSR recently, and I believe it was through email. It took a long time though.

Your problem could be rectified if you had the CIPA Extreme AND the additional adapter that Rod provides. This combination would allow you to put it at virtually any angle. Here's a picture of it.

Only problem, you'd need to get the additional adapter from Rod.

post-9-1128540204_thumb.jpg

Edited by chathamsolutions

FYI - Rod also changed out my 'arm' (the second part of the mirror arm assembly) for a longer rod. I believe it's a bit smaller in diameter and the longer arm makes it easier to adjust with the CIPA. Apparently the CIPA is so wide people were having problems with the second part of the arm assembly.

Thanks Andy.

I have thought about getting the Cipa Extreme mirror just so I could get the mirror to horizontal with an adapter. It works just fine the way it is, but the angle on the mirror bothers me from an aesthetic standpoint. I guess I could also just buy a different mirror arm and replace Rod's.

I'll try to contact him again, but I thought that someone else may have some other ideas.

I'm very happy with the Monster mirror arms I have. They can be adjusted to fit perfectly, remove in a couple seconds, and are pretty inexpensive. Plus you get a calendar when you order Biggrin.gif

edit: and it fits almost any size tower too

post-99-1129057533_thumb.jpg

Edited by edwin
edwin Posted Today, 12:05 PM

I'm very happy with the Monster mirror arms I have. They can be adjusted to fit perfectly, remove in a couple seconds, and are pretty inexpensive. Plus you get a calendar when you order 

Ditto. A bargain at $110 w/o mirror.

I worked with Rod to fit his adapter on the Monster mirror arm. The Monster mirror arm has a slightly larger diameter.

On Wakeworld, Bill from Monster stated that they would have an adapter very similar to Rod's in production this fall.

I have the same set-up and the same problem. It has bothered me from day one. I emailed Rod here and at WSR about three or four months ago. I was willing to pay for a fix. But, I never heard from him. I really want a fix. I was thinking of taking it to a local machine shop to see if they could help.

Kelly

I am looking at buying an arm from Proflight, but it will present the same problem as well. I bought one of the monster arms but had to send it back because it was not long enough to work with my swoop tower. I also would be interested in some type of adapter.

I am looking at buying an arm from Proflight, but it will present the same problem as well.  I bought one of the monster arms but had to send it back because it was not long enough to work with my swoop tower.  I also would be interested in some type of adapter.

Mike,

Looking at the picture of your boat in your gallery, the Swoop looks like it sits

back pretty far in relation to the windshield, just like the Swoop does on my

'23 LSV. I tried three different mirrors & all were too far back to be usefull. I

ended up buying a SamsonSports arm that they make for the observer side of

the windshield. With the extreme mirror it works pretty well. I mounted it to the

base of the tower - just below the curve.

I have the same set-up and the same problem.  It has bothered me from day one.  I emailed Rod here and at WSR about three or four months ago.  I was willing to pay for a fix.  But, I never heard from him.  I really want a fix.  I was thinking of taking it to a local machine shop to see if they could help.

Kelly

I sent another e-mail to Rod, but haven't heard back.

Here is a reply I got from Rod back in Feb. when I asked if he had considered a fix for the arm:

"Hi David,

Yes I have. I did not know that yours was at such an

extreme angle. I will keep you up tp date on the

progress.

Rod"

The next contact was in response to an e-mail in April asking about the status of the fix:

"Hi Dave,

I will have some some pics by the middle of next week

sent some parts to polishing and will let you check it

out. Thanks for being so patient.

Regards,

Rod"

I haven't heard anything else since then. Let me know if you come up with a solution.

Didn't someone on this site work with Monster to develop an adapter for the Extreme?

Yep. You can see pics in my gallery. I love it. Not only was it priced right, but it also is mounted on their standard quick-connect mount, so it comes off to hide under the cover each night.

Edited by billb