Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurf

InvisibleMask

Is it just me or does getting up on the wake surfboard really put some strain on the knees?

I don't have a problem on a wakeboard or once I'm up on the surfboard but that first 10 seconds of trying to get up it feels like my knees are about to explode.

I have a wakesurf rope, 20' long I think, with a handle. Its connected to the tower on a 08 LSV 23'.

Getting up, I lay back, rest my heels on the board where I want my feet. Boat slowly moves and board then flips up to my feet and then hold on.

I thought since the board was so big that getting up would be simple but its brutal.

I also want to add that once I'm up it takes almost no effort to stay up. Can stay there all day. But I can't manage to let go of the rope for too long. I can lean fwd and practically hit the boat, lean back and go back to the wave more but I can never find the sweet spot. Seems like I have to use the rope every 7 seconds or so to keep myself in check. I know this has been covered before but I'm wondering if the board will make all the differnce here. Maybe some have an easier time because their board is longer, thicker, whatever. Or maybe I just suck at it.

By the way, I've only tried it maybe 4-5 times last summer.

on the getting up piece, I think it helps to take the strain off your legs if you turn the surfboard so that the nose is pointing at the boat (rather than sideways) as soon as you can. You may already to that, but if not, try it and see if it helps.

martinarcher

We have an Inland Surfer Blue Lake and it has to be one of the easiest things in the water to get up on. I assume because it is a bit bigger than most and pops right to the surface as you start. Good tip on turning the board nose toward the boat ASAP. That also helps. My dad complained about knee pain and we found that he was leaning back against the boat instead of standing up quickly with the boat. Not sure if you might be fighting the boat a bit. As soon as I hear the engine respond I get to a crouched position over the boat and then stand. No leaning back. Once my dad tried that it took the strain off his knees and calves.

ok, I'll try pointing the board more. I thought I already did that but maybe not. I do lean back though and that could be my main issue. It actually feels like the water under me is pushing me away while I'm trying to hang on, like force from the prop, but that could be in my head.

I am 180lbs , 5 '11"

I can't remember my board brand, its not here, but it looks like this one sort of

http://gatorbaitwakeboard.com/uploads/Marcos_Moran_Wakesurf.JPG

the one I have is a more popular one and was on sale at amazon or something last year. I remember reading reviews and people seemed to like it but the other thing that I thought was odd is it fits in my wakeboard rack. So I guess its not as fat as others since I see some people have to buy a new rack for the surfboard.

ok, found my board.

It is the hyperlite broadcast.

http://www.groovesk8.com/boardshop/featured/hyperlite-broadcast-49-wakesurfer-09/

I see they offer a longer one. The one I have is 4' 9" while their other one is 5' 6".

It says this as the description on another site

Broadcast boards are crafted with more of a traditional wakeboard rail for a deeper ride in the water. Preferred by riders that want to surf the way they wakeboard. Quicker reacting, harder edging with more of a centred weight distribution for a knifing style of bottom turn. Available in two sizes with a fast rocker prepared for the endless summer.

I think then martinarcher is on the right track. I don't really notice but I don't think the prop wash even gets to me before I am standing up and we are about the same weight. You shouldn't be dragging yourself through the water. Bend your knees so your heels are up to your butt and stand up ASAP! Just don't stand up so fast that it throws you out the front.

martinarcher

No problem. Have fun and let us know if that helps. I think you'll be golden if you get vertical faster. My dad said the same thing when he was having trouble. He said it felt like he was holding the boat back and the prop wash was pushing on the board.

I'm with Ronnie, you should be riding over the prop wash in the standing position. Thumbup.gif

No problem. Have fun and let us know if that helps. I think you'll be golden if you get vertical faster. My dad said the same thing when he was having trouble. He said it felt like he was holding the boat back and the prop wash was pushing on the board.

I'm with Ronnie, you should be riding over the prop wash in the standing position. Thumbup.gif

Not sure if you would want to try this but you can go straight of the swim deck no deep water start. keep the front half on the deck with most of you weight on it, when you get to speed or even while your getting to speed slowly transfer your weight to your back leg, and your surfing, wont even get your hair wet.

there is a bit of a knack to getting up on the board. i don't believe the make or style of board makes a difference when trying to get up. Ronnie nailed it. As soon as you feel any pull from the boat, STAND UP. You should be standing on the board before the boat is even hardly moving. Do not wait for the boat to pull you up, just stand up. Once you get it you will be amazed at how easy it was.

Am not sure if i will still be in havasu next weekend but our boat has a great record of teaching and going ropeless for first timers.

Once up, until you become one with the wake, you need to constantly be on the gas (weight forward) then the brakes (weight on back foot). By that i mean subtle weight shifts. If you put on the brakes, immediately (don't wait till you think you need to) shift weight forward again, otherwise you will be spit out the back of the wake. Eventually you will find yourself not needing to do that and will be just riding.

Once you get confident to drop the rope, just drop it, don't try to toss it to the boat (initially). Once you can ride for a while with the rope, release it, i find people use the rope as a crutch and it affects their ability to ride without it.

and of course...have fun.

Not sure if you would want to try this but you can go straight of the swim deck no deep water start. keep the front half on the deck with most of you weight on it, when you get to speed or even while your getting to speed slowly transfer your weight to your back leg, and your surfing, wont even get your hair wet.

Yeah, I've seen videos of this but I just vision myself falling and smacking my head on the swim deck which would ruin my day.

But it does look pretty easy to do once its learned. I may try it.

there is a bit of a knack to getting up on the board. i don't believe the make or style of board makes a difference when trying to get up. Ronnie nailed it. As soon as you feel any pull from the boat, STAND UP. You should be standing on the board before the boat is even hardly moving. Do not wait for the boat to pull you up, just stand up. Once you get it you will be amazed at how easy it was.

Am not sure if i will still be in havasu next weekend but our boat has a great record of teaching and going ropeless for first timers.

Once up, until you become one with the wake, you need to constantly be on the gas (weight forward) then the brakes (weight on back foot). By that i mean subtle weight shifts. If you put on the brakes, immediately (don't wait till you think you need to) shift weight forward again, otherwise you will be spit out the back of the wake. Eventually you will find yourself not needing to do that and will be just riding.

Once you get confident to drop the rope, just drop it, don't try to toss it to the boat (initially). Once you can ride for a while with the rope, release it, i find people use the rope as a crutch and it affects their ability to ride without it.

and of course...have fun.

ok, I'll try just standing up instead of laying back and waiting to pop up. Again, its only like a 5-6 second ordeal & then I'm up but its enough to feel the strain on my knees which I don't like at all. yeah I tried the weight shift and went fwd, then back, then fwd, etc but I always had the rope there to keep me from losing it. Basically the rope was loose 90% of the time I was riding but as soon as I let go I'd last maybe 10 seconds and then back I'd go. Guess it just takes practice. Looking at videos it looks like it takes very little skill but when riding it takes the smallest movements or the ride is done.

hopefully the havasu weather cooperates this next weekend. Its supposed to be around 90-98 all week until thursday. Then it drops to 80 until Monday and its back to the 90's.

Here's a pic if my boat if you ever see us out there.

mal2.jpg

we use the swim step off method. its very easy and hve never had the feeling or been close to falling and hitting the swim step. we tried last year as i couldnt get my dad up with holding the rope in deep water because he has arthritis in his hands and lost some strength. i was wondering if it would work and sure enough it awsome. i never even get wet anymore i come in and put the board back on the swin step when im done and then step off the board.

the way we first started doing it was get two people on the back of the boat. one person was the surfer the next helped keep the balance for the surfer and would assist in getting the board off the swim step. the pesron on the board would be holdong onto the grab rail with all the weight forward till the boat got to its surfing speed. then once at that speed he would stand up on the board and grab the hand of the other person on the rear vdrive compartment. he would help with the person keeping his balance and would help push the baord off with his feet. i would put the ball of my foot on the nose of the board and would push very easy till the board was off the swim step and then i would let go of the hand and watch them surf. its alot easier than it sounds and this whole thing may take 20 seconds and is for begginers that dont have much of any board time. but it works everytime with great results. good luck.

ok, I'll try just standing up instead of laying back and waiting to pop up. Again, its only like a 5-6 second ordeal & then I'm up but its enough to feel the strain on my knees which I don't like at all. yeah I tried the weight shift and went fwd, then back, then fwd, etc but I always had the rope there to keep me from losing it. Basically the rope was loose 90% of the time I was riding but as soon as I let go I'd last maybe 10 seconds and then back I'd go. Guess it just takes practice. Looking at videos it looks like it takes very little skill but when riding it takes the smallest movements or the ride is done.

hopefully the havasu weather cooperates this next weekend. Its supposed to be around 90-98 all week until thursday. Then it drops to 80 until Monday and its back to the 90's.

Here's a pic if my boat if you ever see us out there.

mal2.jpg

nice rig, it was hot here today, we hit 100, yesterday for the offshore boat races, we figured there were over 1000 spectator boats, it was pretty crazy. hopefully it won't be that busy next weekend.

mine is a pink and black one with the side decals removed.

Edited by Cervelo

Yeah, I've seen videos of this but I just vision myself falling and smacking my head on the swim deck which would ruin my day.

But it does look pretty easy to do once its learned. I may try it.

I can do the platform start and stops but I don't thing getting started is that easy. Not for me anyway. I have to push so hard on the tail of the board to get the board to back away from the platform that it is a pain. May need to try another aproach at it than what I'm doing.

From my expierience, with the Hyperlite he is riding, he should be able to start off on that bad boy with it fully submerged underneath the water. I have done it alot with the less boyant boards. Pretty cool to just rize up out of the water with a board under your feet.

Also, the more boyant boards are alot harder to do a "deep up" type start to me, but his board us not exactly what I call boyant.

I second the fact that you need to loose the rope soon. Keeping it turns into a crutch and you won't learn how to stay in the pocket with it. Sucks for the driver untill you get the hang of it, but much more fun without it. if You are having a hard time staying in the pocket move your stance forward a little on the board. It will keep ya more "on the gas" side of things. Gotta learn the wiggle or pump, that helps ya build speed and get back into the pocket.

I used to do the swimstep start and stop thing, but after owning and riding some of the more exspensive custom and hand built boards they don't take a beating as well . I found the platform can be hard on them and leave dents and dings in the boards. So i usually deep up when riding those 700-800 dollar boards.

Cervelo, are there more races or something going on next weekend?? hope not.

thanks everyone for the tips. If the weather is good I will be trying it all out. My bro-in-law starts with the board underwater as you suggested Bawshogg . I tried it and was a pain in the arse to time it right and have the driver take off. It just seemed harder than my knee explode method.

Hyperlite, I will definitely try your method with the other riders & probably myself at first.

Edited by InvisibleMask

Is it just me or does getting up on the wake surfboard really put some strain on the knees?

I don't have a problem on a wakeboard or once I'm up on the surfboard but that first 10 seconds of trying to get up it feels like my knees are about to explode.

I have a wakesurf rope, 20' long I think, with a handle. Its connected to the tower on a 08 LSV 23'.

Getting up, I lay back, rest my heels on the board where I want my feet. Boat slowly moves and board then flips up to my feet and then hold on.

I thought since the board was so big that getting up would be simple but its brutal.

Have you been wakeboarding first? reason I ask, is that when we wakeboard first, then set-up for surfing- I have a hard time getting up the first few runs. I think it's because my legs are tired and my brain still thinks I am going to wakeboard. When we just surf, no problem getting up.

Have you been wakeboarding first? reason I ask, is that when we wakeboard first, then set-up for surfing- I have a hard time getting up the first few runs. I think it's because my legs are tired and my brain still thinks I am going to wakeboard. When we just surf, no problem getting up.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did wakeboard first now that you mention it. And my wakeboarding is a whole new set of issues but i don't want to open that can of worms. No problems getting up, cutting, etc . Just jumping is my issue and my goal is wake to wake this summer but after a lot of reading/videos I see exactly what I was doing wrong all this time.

• 12 years later...
On 4/25/2010 at 6:56 PM, hyperlite said:

we use the swim step off method. its very easy and hve never had the feeling or been close to falling and hitting the swim step. we tried last year as i couldnt get my dad up with holding the rope in deep water because he has arthritis in his hands and lost some strength. i was wondering if it would work and sure enough it awsome. i never even get wet anymore i come in and put the board back on the swin step when im done and then step off the board.

the way we first started doing it was get two people on the back of the boat. one person was the surfer the next helped keep the balance for the surfer and would assist in getting the board off the swim step. the pesron on the board would be holdong onto the grab rail with all the weight forward till the boat got to its surfing speed. then once at that speed he would stand up on the board and grab the hand of the other person on the rear vdrive compartment. he would help with the person keeping his balance and would help push the baord off with his feet. i would put the ball of my foot on the nose of the board and would push very easy till the board was off the swim step and then i would let go of the hand and watch them surf. its alot easier than it sounds and this whole thing may take 20 seconds and is for begginers that dont have much of any board time. but it works everytime with great results. good luck.

Glad I found this thread! I have bad OA in my left knee and blew it out trying to surf for first time on our 2022 A22. Surfed before on other boats so not a total newbie.  Needless to say I am super bummed as I love surfing but don’t think my back leg/knee can withstand a water start with risk of re-injury. Of course the kids and everyone else is having a ball while I always drive..

I was going to resort to boogie boarding until I saw this.

The platform start intrigues me and sounds like just the thing I need to master. Do you have any videos of this in action you can share?  I assume you wait for boat to get fully up to speed and for wave to form?  I assume if you wipe out even falling forward you would still miss the platform as boats forward momentum would cause you to fall behind it?