Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
GrahamH

Response LXi Steering

GrahamH

I have an 05 LXi with about 150 hours on it. Took it out yesterday for the first run of the season. The cadillac steering that I was used to was gone. I bought the boat new in 05 and set the rudder up so it pulled to the right slighly, was always loaded and really nice to drive through the course. If I let go of the wheel in open water it would veer right. Yesterday I could let the wheel go and it ran straight. The steering felt stiff and when making steering corrections in the course there seemed to be a slack spot before any load come onto the wheel.

I searched and read the great thread by Deck Hand on his Malibu Euro F3 Skier. Before I jump into that scale of a job, is there anything else that I should look at? Is the rudder assembly on an 05 LXi similar to the Malibu Euro F3 Skier? Is it common for this to happen after 150 hours?

Thanks

Graham

tvano

i would be tempted to remove the connection between the cable and the rudder.

exercise the rudder and steering wheel, after that connection is broken, and see which end is giving you the problem.

if you have greased the rudder assy. regularly i would bet a dollar to a doughnut that the cable is the problem.

SunriseH2OSkier
i would bet a dollar to a doughnut that the cable is the problem.

:plus1:

Had to replace the cable on my '03 two summers ago...

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Sixball

ten to one it will be the steering cable. You will need to replace it. Its not a big job and there are some excellent directions on this site on how to. I am just getting ready to walk out of the house so I don't have time to find it.

Replace it and you will be back to your one finger drive.

GrahamH

Thanks everyone. I hate to admit this but the rudder has not been greased. Just looked and found the grease zerks. So I will start there. Should I use a particular grease? I have some water resistant wheel bearing grease. Would that be ok?

Graham

JeffS

Thanks everyone. I hate to admit this but the rudder has not been greased. Just looked and found the grease zerks. So I will start there. Should I use a particular grease? I have some water resistant wheel bearing grease. Would that be ok?

Graham

Yep. And I'm +1 on the steering cable.

wienrdog

Don't put too much grease in the rudder - we've had a few people put too much grease in there & blow out the seals/o-rings. That turned the preventative maintenance into much more work.

It shouldn't need more than one pump.

You'd be better off disconnecting the rudder from cable & seeing which is stiff. +1 on the steering cable - it's about time.

eyepeeler

Make sure you keep your bilge dry and block your motorbox after you replace the steering cable.