Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V -drive Barefoot Boom

TrickyNicky

Hi guys, I'm looking for a barefoot boom for our VTX. I know I want the BI quad-v but was curious how it attached to the retractable pylon. I don't have the boat so cannot measure it, but I have been informed it's quite short. How do you guys attach your booms to retractable pylons, I know the pylons got shorter around 2006 or 2007. Any solutions that don't involve replacing the pylon? If so can you post pics of the boom clamped to the pylon.

I'd also appreciate comments on the height adjuster (do I need it), the extensions (1 or 2), and the quick release pin (is it any easier)?

my two cents on the boom - yes on the extender - and yes on the quick release pins - you won't regret... on the retractable pylon- you should still be able the clamp to what you've got. disclaimer: I had the barefoot intl tho...

my two cents on the boom - yes on the extender - and yes on the quick release pins - you won't regret... on the retractable pylon- you should still be able the clamp to what you've got. disclaimer: I had the barefoot intl tho...

Thanks for the feedback. And yes I'm looking at the Barefoot International one. I take it you have no problem with the retractable on your 08 v-ride? I'd imagine that has the same pylon?Dontknow.gif

I am guessing this is how it would look attached to your pylon

http://www.barefootcentral.com/bi-deluxequadv-driveboom.aspx

Also, :plus1: on the boom extension and quick release pins. You will have more side spray back there than at the boom position on a direct drive boat.

EDIT: Check craigslist. You might be able to find a deal there...or if you're lucky, a paedofile. :unsure:

Edited by areamike

Just a quick note on V-drive Booms.

I've had this project on the burner for some time now, but I hopefully will actually have finished a prototype to test soon.

[edit] Old bad info removed as no longer pertinent. Newer threads have current info.

Peter. :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Peter,

Keep us up to date on this project. I have the v-drive boom from BI and it works, but I avoid using it because of the cons that you listed above. works great when I need it, but would love a better design.

I am guessing this is how it would look attached to your pylon

http://www.barefootc...-driveboom.aspx

Also, :plus1: on the boom extension and quick release pins. You will have more side spray back there than at the boom position on a direct drive boat.

EDIT: Check craigslist. You might be able to find a deal there...or if you're lucky, a paedofile. :unsure:

The MC pylon is a lot longer than Malibu's, which is precisely my concern. I still have yet to see one clamped to Malibu's current retractable pylon. Anyone on here have a picture?

hmmm. I don't have one but found this.

sdbm-v-drive-top.jpg

sdbm-v-drive-front2.jpg

Mike, your working hard for me aren't you. I'm appreciating the effort, but thats still the older version of the retractable pylon (I'm pretty sure). I'm not trying to be difficult, and I've read about people ordering the v-drive boom with 07 and newer boats, just no feedback after. It's just bothersome not having a picture of the new retractable pylon with a boom attached, I figured someone on this site must have one? I don't want to order and than realize afterwards I just needed a special clamp. I know for sure I've read of some guys ordering longer pylons, and I want to avoid this if possible.

I really do appreciate the efforts though.

I've got to do something while i sit here at this computer all day.

Do they make an Illusion Tower boom? That would be the ultimate.

I still cannot find a pic of a newer malibu v-drive with a boom. Those pics I posted look like an added clamp/extension for the pop up pylon. I think that is a nautique though.

I have a 2007 Sunscape 20 with Illusion tower (same as VTX with diamond hull) and use the barefoot international v drive boom with the retractable pylon. It is tight, but does fit on the pylon. I have a towel doubled over with hole cut for pylon that I slide on before I attach the boom clamp.

We run with 1 boom extension which is fine for most all barefooting applications including slow enough for my son who is 7. If slowing the boat way down to teach skiing/wakeboarding to youngsters another extension would be nice due to the spray.

I couldn't find a picture of the boom attached to the pylon, but you can see in the picture it is attached and runs on a slight angle forward out the side of the boat in front of the illusion tower.

post-6280-12724753634_thumb.jpg

I have a 2007 Sunscape 20 with Illusion tower (same as VTX with diamond hull) and use the barefoot international v drive boom with the retractable pylon. It is tight, but does fit on the pylon. I have a towel doubled over with hole cut for pylon that I slide on before I attach the boom clamp.

We run with 1 boom extension which is fine for most all barefooting applications including slow enough for my son who is 7. If slowing the boat way down to teach skiing/wakeboarding to youngsters another extension would be nice due to the spray.

I couldn't find a picture of the boom attached to the pylon, but you can see in the picture it is attached and runs on a slight angle forward out the side of the boat in front of the illusion tower.

Sweet! That is what I needed to hear GDirske. Sounds like a plan, I'll take one extension, And add after if I find beginners ng the boom. So far everyone I know has learned longline. (barefooting excepted)

similar to what we do...There is enough room to clamp on the pylon, but some sort of padding to protect the upholstery is needed...we just put a bunch of towels between the boom and upholstery near the pylon...we aren't sophisticated enough to cut a hole in a towel and do it that way.

Sweet! That is what I needed to hear GDirske. Sounds like a plan, I'll take one extension, And add after if I find beginners ng the boom. So far everyone I know has learned longline. (barefooting excepted)

Well, then, it's time to step up, you boom babies! :baby::tease2:

Well, then, it's time to step up, you boom babies! :baby::tease2:

I said no one has LEARNED to barefoot on a longline, everyone I know learnt on a boom and than progressed. Last year I went longline behind the 115 outboard at about 36-38 mph, I'd be shocked If we hit 40. I was quite impressed with myselfClap.gif, had to do it off the kneeboard because the boat wouldn't even plain if we tried to deep water start. I guess I do have to admit I only lasted 1000 feet or so but still a good effort. Don't think well have those problems this year!Yahoo.gif

BTW, to GDirske and hattric73, Do you guys use the height adjuster. Is it necessary? I was discussing with my uncle and we both think it would be more necessary to adjust the height of the boom(above water) up rather than down which is what the height adjuster seems it would do :dontknow: If you guys have it do you really adjust enough to justify it and if not do you wish you did have it? If neither of you have do you know if it is a different clamp and maybe too large to fit in the small pylon space we have to work with?

Thanks for the million answers to my million questions.

I said no one has LEARNED to barefoot on a longline, everyone I know learnt on a boom and than progressed. Last year I went longline behind the 115 outboard at about 36-38 mph, I'd be shocked If we hit 40. I was quite impressed with myselfClap.gif, had to do it off the kneeboard because the boat wouldn't even plain if we tried to deep water start. I guess I do have to admit I only lasted 1000 feet or so but still a good effort. Don't think well have those problems this year!Yahoo.gif

One good thing is you can learn good barefooting form on the boom. Then transfer that to long line you'd be surprised how slow below your normal speeds you could barefoot. My "normal" speed is 38 behind the boat, but I can foot all the way down to 28 mph with a nose-plug of course. :crazy:

When I got up the first time backwards on the boom/shortline, I was going 27 and did not want to go faster..."scared"

Edited by areamike

One good thing is you can learn good barefooting form on the boom. Then transfer that to long line you'd be surprised how slow below your normal speeds you could barefoot. My "normal" speed is 38 behind the boat, but I can foot all the way down to 28 mph with a nose-plug of course. :crazy:

When I got up the first time backwards on the boom/shortline, I was going 27 and did not want to go faster..."scared"

No kidding, I never would have thought you could go that slow. I always figured you could go slower on the boom because you can have worse position but get more lift from the boom, or even form a shortline. Longline I figured it's all your feet keeping you and the rope is pretty much a forward pull. I want to learn backwards footing this year, unsure if I'm ready. BTW when you say reverse on the boom you mean shortline right? I've never heard of anyone reverse on the boom.

No kidding, I never would have thought you could go that slow. I always figured you could go slower on the boom because you can have worse position but get more lift from the boom, or even form a shortline. Longline I figured it's all your feet keeping you and the rope is pretty much a forward pull. I want to learn backwards footing this year, unsure if I'm ready. BTW when you say reverse on the boom you mean shortline right? I've never heard of anyone reverse on the boom.

Didn't know I said reverse. :unsure: The only time I have backwards barefooted was on the shortline off the boom. That was last year, and I have not done so since. Never really feel the desire to do it. Did it once, got it done, that's about it.

Didn't know I said reverse. :unsure: The only time I have backwards barefooted was on the shortline off the boom. That was last year, and I have not done so since. Never really feel the desire to do it. Did it once, got it done, that's about it.

Oh come on Mike, I've done a lot of things ONCE Whistling.gif. My general rule is I'll try anything twice, that way you can always say (in a sarcastic manner) "Ya I've done it a couple times" and most people think that means a LOT of times Biggrin.gif . And besides Mike, ONLY shortline, does that even count? :Tease3: At least go longline than you can use the 'done it a couple times' rule.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Oh come on Mike, I've done a lot of things ONCE Whistling.gif. My general rule is I'll try anything twice, that way you can always say (in a sarcastic manner) "Ya I've done it a couple times" and most people think that means a LOT of times Biggrin.gif . And besides Mike, ONLY shortline, does that even count? :Tease3: At least go longline than you can use the 'done it a couple times' rule.

Roger that. Fine. Longline this year. That will be my goal.

I have the retractable pylon on my 05 23 LSV...I measured the height and it does not have the 3" minimum that barefoot international says is required. My Malibu dealer says the B204V is the boom they use for ALL Malibu V-drives. Who is right?

Also, I was told the extension is a MUST.

Edited by Badger 95
  • 2 weeks later...

K guys we have the boat and are ordering the boom. We do NOT have 3" of post above the seats. So to those of you that do have a The quad V-boom from BI and a VTX. Can you give me a measurement for either The pylon height (post only not swivel head, 'clampable height') OR the height of the BI clamp. If you have the height adjuster, let me know if the clmap is the same height as the boom clamp (maybe it is smaller and I can use it to solve my problem) I need these measurements so I can check to see if I have that much height. BI says you need 3" but I want to know exactly how tall their clamp is.

Thanks Guys.