Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 Wakesetter, gauges quit at 50 hours! Any ideas?

Hey all.. took the boat out for a quick run tonight after work. After the first guy went and the next guy suited up, when I went to go set the speed for him I noticed the center screen and the screens below the tach/speedo were blank (boat was running). So I turned the boat off, back on, off again, switched the batteries off for a minute, just seeing if it would reset itself. Nothing made it work again. Everything was fine when we first launched, rider presets worked, all gauges were fine, etc. We stayed out for another run but came in shortly after, pretty hard to give a good pull with no gauges at all, not to mention checking the fuel level!

So basically everything above the steering wheel quit working - the 3 lcd screens that show all the speed/temp/hours/depth/etc, as well as all the needle gauges (speedo/tach/gas/temp/oil). When you turn the boat on, the needles wiggle a bit, you kind of hear the 'whirring' sound, and the LCDs light up (malibu logo in the center comes on, etc). It will do this for 2-3 seconds then shut off again. The whole time we were running the boat, everything would continue to turn on every 10-15 seconds or so, then shut off. All the MUX switches seem to be working fine.

This a common problem or anything I should check? I tried all the connections behind the dash/batttery/lanyard kill switch, etc, everything seems ok. Its under warranty (only bought it last Aug, 50 hours on it now) but I've got to pay a $100 service fee every time it goes for warranty since I didnt buy from the local dealer. If its something simple I can try and look at it would save a trip to the dealer (plus I really want to get out this weekend :biggrin:

Thanks guys

Hey all.. took the boat out for a quick run tonight after work. After the first guy went and the next guy suited up, when I went to go set the speed for him I noticed the center screen and the screens below the tach/speedo were blank (boat was running). So I turned the boat off, back on, off again, switched the batteries off for a minute, just seeing if it would reset itself. Nothing made it work again. Everything was fine when we first launched, rider presets worked, all gauges were fine, etc. We stayed out for another run but came in shortly after, pretty hard to give a good pull with no gauges at all, not to mention checking the fuel level!

So basically everything above the steering wheel quit working - the 3 lcd screens that show all the speed/temp/hours/depth/etc, as well as all the needle gauges (speedo/tach/gas/temp/oil). When you turn the boat on, the needles wiggle a bit, you kind of hear the 'whirring' sound, and the LCDs light up (malibu logo in the center comes on, etc). It will do this for 2-3 seconds then shut off again. The whole time we were running the boat, everything would continue to turn on every 10-15 seconds or so, then shut off. All the MUX switches seem to be working fine.

This a common problem or anything I should check? I tried all the connections behind the dash/batttery/lanyard kill switch, etc, everything seems ok. Its under warranty (only bought it last Aug, 50 hours on it now) but I've got to pay a $100 service fee every time it goes for warranty since I didnt buy from the local dealer. If its something simple I can try and look at it would save a trip to the dealer (plus I really want to get out this weekend :biggrin:

Thanks guys

First thing I would do is find another dealer. I bought mine out of state as a used boat and my local dealer was more than happy to service my Bu under warranty and didn't charge me a dime. Seems like they're just padding their pockets at your expense. There are a lot of good ones out there, but sometimes I really hate dealers.

I would check connections on your breaker panel to your right of the drivers seat. It sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere or a fuse blown. There are a couple in line fuses behind the dash for all the gauges and displays. Check those.

If these don't fix it I'd take it in to the dealer for warranty service. Put up a fight on the $100 service fee though. That's a joke.

Sounds like the MDC might have blown. I hope not because that is an expensive part.

It it's under warranty it shouldn't be that expensive.

Thanks for the info... I don't think it would be a fuse as it does light up and attempt to turn on, so its obviously getting power. I'll take a look tonight regardless. As far as the dealer, not much I can really do about it. I live in Canada - one local dealer, another 4 hours away, only other option is Bakes in WA. Paul at Bakes has been more than helpful to me in the past and will do warranty work for me with no fee, just a hassle to get across the border and get it serviced. I tried to buy a boat from the local dealer, but prices in Canada are so out of wack. I was about to buy a used 07, ended up buying a new 08 for 10k LESS. It does suck that dealers are allowed to get away with it..

WOW!!! Are hey ever lining their pockets. Bums. I bought mine stateside also and our dealer has been outstanding. They treat me like a 20 year customer. Sometimes you are smart and sometimes you are lucky. Treating you like dirt now will will not create a committed customer in the future. I look at the $100 as a childish move... they are acting like 3 year olds pouting because they didn't sell the boat. I bought mine used and unfortunately bought it from someone who didn't care of his stuff and didn't disclose everything and have been into warranty repairs over $3000. The next 10+ years that he services the boat will more than make up for the offset on the purchase... plus all the word of mouth advertising they gets from me!!!!

• 1 month later...

hey im having the almost the exact same problems, on the exact same boat. has anyone been able to help you or have your figured it out yet???