Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing the Fuel Pump on a Monsoon

Folks,

I have a whine sound coming from my fuel pump on my monsoon engine and it's been like that for a while so I figured it's about time to take care of it. I read the posts on the forum and decided to pull the pump and check the screen on the inbound side of the pump. I found that is was clean, removed it anyway, cleaned it with carburetor cleaner, put everything back together and still had the whine. BTW, the boat runs fine. So here's my question. Looking at all the sites I have come up with these two that offer the pump:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=CARP60962&Category_Code=ALL4C

and

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080023

Big price difference. Has anyone had any problems buying from the the bpi.ebasicpower.com site?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Are you certain that's the right fuel pump for your motor? My monsoon is fuel injected and I just had a low pressure intake nozzle and the high pressure outlet on the fuel pump; I bought mine from the dealer for around $180.

My fuel pump started whining and eventually went out on me while in the water and I couldnt do anything but idle back to the ramp; I would definitley change it out.

Tom,

My friend with a 2001 Response had a fuel pump noise (whine) start up about two seasons ago. We decided to try a new fuel filter (the high pressure one) and the noise (whine) disappeared. It's cheap, and if it hasn't been replaced in a while it needs replaced anyway...do the low pressure one off the tank too while you're at it if that hasn't been replaced lately.

Without hearing your whine, I can't say for sure, but is it the whine heard while the system is priming when you turn the key on but not start the engine? That's the noise by friend's was making, but it just didn't go away when started.

Hope this helps,

Seth

Tom,

My friend with a 2001 Response had a fuel pump noise (whine) start up about two seasons ago. We decided to try a new fuel filter (the high pressure one) and the noise (whine) disappeared. It's cheap, and if it hasn't been replaced in a while it needs replaced anyway...do the low pressure one off the tank too while you're at it if that hasn't been replaced lately.

Without hearing your whine, I can't say for sure, but is it the whine heard while the system is priming when you turn the key on but not start the engine? That's the noise by friend's was making, but it just didn't go away when started.

Hope this helps,

Seth

Thanks for the reply! I'll change both filters to see if it makes a difference and update this post with my findings.

Edited by sunsetter49
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply! I'll change both filters to see if it makes a difference and update this post with my findings.

I changed both filters and the whine went away and the boat is running stronger when starting slalom skiers. Thanks for the tips!