Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 years for Trailer Tires...Really??

Oh come on "Mr. scuff and rattle can".

Do it right, have them powder coated, it'll last longer.

:biggrin: Just weighing out my options, I'll add that to the list. I also have access to industrial and marine coatings as well as commercial/industrial sprayers. I'm not buying a couple cans of Walmart's finest!!

Edited by Ndawg12

I still say metallic grey with a single blue stripe where the two thin ones are now. Something that would look nice with the logo on the boat right above it. Black will look like the cheap Cragar wheels IMO.

I still say metallic grey with a single blue stripe where the two thin ones are now. Something that would look nice with the logo on the boat right above it. Black will look like the cheap Cragar wheels IMO.

Since somebody won't buy my old wheels :whistle: I suppose I'll just clean them up real nice and rap them with new rubber.

Keep a good coating of 303 Protectant on your tires...especially if they are outside.

The OE Carlisles on my trailer lasted about 5 years. The Goodyears that are on there now are 5 years old and look near new. I didn't discover 303 until it was already too late for the Carlisles.

I noticed my 2 year old Michelins on my Bravada have cracking on the sidewalls :mad: I got some 303 from my bu dealer last night, gonna hit every tire I own with this stuff. I'll report back in 3 years how it worked on the new trailer tires :biggrin:

Sounds great!

See you in three years.

Ha, you wish!! I cleaned a couple of my old rims up and I'm defintely going to just put new rubber on them. I was surprised at how well they cleaned up.

post-8316-127224951761_thumb.jpg

Ha, you wish!! I cleaned a couple of my old rims up and I'm defintely going to just put new rubber on them. I was surprised at how well they cleaned up.

And I was about to suggest a painting party. That cleaned up nice. You could have some mischievous 12 year olds clean the other 3 wheels, with a toothbrush!

And I was about to suggest a painting party. That cleaned up nice. You could have some mischievous 12 year olds clean the other 3 wheels, with a toothbrush!

Ha, good idea, after they get done mowing my yard!!

Wow, what did you use to polish those up? I have the same rims and I wish they were that shiny.

I just sprayed the back of the rims with brake cleaner and lightly hit both sides with an SOS pad. I didn't even have wax on them on those pics, you should see them now after 2 coats!!

common there isn't one manufacture that make a decent tire for our trailers? Anyone?

edit: Did a quick search and all I found was a kenda...the rest are carlisle or goodyear. Seems like there should be at least a few more

Here's a list I've been compiling in case anyone is searching for options other than GY or Carlisle:

Loadstar

Trail Express

Deestone

Towmaster

Delta

I'm curious, do any of you guys jack your boat and trailer up off the ground and onto jackstands for the winter? I've done this for the past 8 years with my old I/O. The thinking is to take the load off of the tires and the trailer's suspension for the winter with hopes to extend their life some. It seems to have helped as I just put new tires on the trailer at the beginning of last year. It was also always stored inside which is a huge help obviously.

It's scary as hell doing it the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal. I'm considering doing this for the new BU and its trailer going forward. Anyone aware of any reason not to do this every year?

TIA

• 1 month later...

This was my tire from this weekend. Tire(Goodyear Marathon) build date was 05/06, so 4 years old. Tire was the spare and had less than 50 miles on it. Just mounted it on the trailer that morning while I took one of the others to get replaced. Tire blew the treat section completely off at 65mph. Tire held air for another 6 miles until the nex side road so i could change it. Wish these tires would last longer. New ones are same tires but have warranty from Discount tire.

post-8024-127544905392_thumb.jpg

Pete

Carlisles has same problem as Good Year. I have had same issues with both brands. I have done same as medicdriver and purchased from Discount Tire and paid for Certificates. Keep an eye on tires and usually see deteriorating before they let go completely. Take it back to Discount and get my new tire free.

I've only ever had Carlisles on my trailer so, I don't have any experience with G.Y. Boat and trailer are 10 yrs. old now. I'm on my 2nd set of Carlisles in 10 yrs. I had 2 flat tires in back-to-back trips. This is when I replaced all tires. I used to tow my trailer ~2000 miles a year in some pretty high temps and always over mountains. I do take extremely good care of my vehicles and trailer which includes religiously checking tire pressures and hubs. (I know some guys just "kick the tires and light the fires")

All I'm saying is I don't see guys with Carlisles having catastrophic failures like I see stories about G.Y. Maybe it's just because G.Y. are more prevalent than Carlisle when it comes to trailer mfgs. fitting OEM tires, I dunno. All I'm saying is that when my 2 tires failed at the end of their life, they went flat, they didn't go kaboom, no tread separation, no damage to anything else. One was at freeway speeds, the other on surface roads after freeway speeds.

I'll be buying Carlisles next time I need tires.

My 95 model trailer tires (GYs) lasted 7 years too till worn out. Since then I have never had a set last past 3 years. Good Year or Carlisles. Guess we can chalk that up to "They don't make them like they used too." Good luck with your newer tires and keep a close eye on them.