Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 years for Trailer Tires...Really??

Luckily I noticed this before it blew. I can only assume these are the original tires and since the original owner didn't take delivery until 4/07 they are only 3 years old (working life anyways, didn't check the manufactured date) and I would imagine they don't even have 3k miles on them. All 4 are dry rotted and cracking/seperating but they still have good tread left on them. My little helper and I temporarily replaced 2 of them with a generic rim/tire combo (as shown) from Northern Tool and the tires are Carlisle and I think that's what I'm going with, I figure I've got nothing to lose.

I don't want to start the classic Goodyear or Carlisle debate. My question is what kind of preventative measures can I take to get more life out of the tires.

And is anyone else using this same or similar rim. I like that it's a 15" and will fill the space better. But I would need to paint them, the white with a blue and red pinstripe is kinda fugly!! Any pics and suggestions???

post-8316-127185955544_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127185956452_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127185957329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

Goodyear warranty for their tires for 5 years, you may be able to get some cheap replacements. Also as a bonus the warranty is tied to tread depth, good considering you have very few miles on your tires.

I had a Goodyear separate like that and didn't do anything about it (had a spare), when I took it to the shop almost a year later found out the warranty just ran out a month ago, so I was stuck buying a new tire. So give it a shot.

-Chris

Must have been stored outside for some of their life. I you store outside, you can get some covers for the wheels.

Tires can be several years old before they are mounted on the rims and sold as new. Other than that not sure what else there is.

cute kid

This boat being an '06 could have been produced in the summer of '05 and may have sat outside in the elements for almost two years before being purchased. I think the trailer has a manufacturing date on it somewhere. The first owner may have left the trailer outside at times. Boats and trailers stored in your garage always keep better and are more protected.

Keep a good coating of 303 Protectant on your tires...especially if they are outside.

The OE Carlisles on my trailer lasted about 5 years. The Goodyears that are on there now are 5 years old and look near new. I didn't discover 303 until it was already too late for the Carlisles.

Goodyear warranty for their tires for 5 years, you may be able to get some cheap replacements. Also as a bonus the warranty is tied to tread depth, good considering you have very few miles on your tires.

I had a Goodyear separate like that and didn't do anything about it (had a spare), when I took it to the shop almost a year later found out the warranty just ran out a month ago, so I was stuck buying a new tire. So give it a shot.

-Chris

I've heard horror stories about trying to get tires covered under warranty, no thanks, plus I acutally think they're close to 5 years old anyways, see below.

Must have been stored outside for some of their life. I you store outside, you can get some covers for the wheels.

Tires can be several years old before they are mounted on the rims and sold as new. Other than that not sure what else there is.

cute kid

They weren't in the greatest shape when I bought it 11/08 but they really went south fast in 17 months. I keep it outside and I now assume the original owner did as well. I might have to look into some covers or something for the new ones. And thanks, he's 22 months going on 22 years and looks just like.....his mommy actually :blush:

This boat being an '06 could have been produced in the summer of '05 and may have sat outside in the elements for almost two years before being purchased. I think the trailer has a manufacturing date on it somewhere. The first owner may have left the trailer outside at times. Boats and trailers stored in your garage always keep better and are more protected.

Ah, I didn't think about that, so it probably sat at a dealership, for nearly 2 years, original owner had it for 1.5, and me for 1.5. So the tires have sat out in the elements for nearly 5 years.

I got 8+ years out of my tires (and they'll keep going for a while if Hoover covers them as well) by merely covering them with $10 tire covers (made for RVs) from Bass Pro Shops. As others have said, those pics indicate dry rotting from being out in the sun all of the time.

When I picked my boat up last fall I had two blow outs on trailer tires that looked fine. They were 8 years old but they had very few miles on them.

Keeping them out of the sun is essential, Even a piece of plywood leaning up against them outside will help.

in my experience tire warranty's are like carpet warranty's. This is what customer service tells me.

"If the carpet wears in a spot where people frequently walk, its not covered."

Ok Nate,

Gotta ask...why did your son need that plumber's wrench just to replace two wheels?

Don't you take your lugnuts off with a pipe wrench :whistle: ? I needed a cheater bar and had to improvise.

Luckily I noticed this before it blew. I can only assume these are the original tires and since the original owner didn't take delivery until 4/07 they are only 3 years old (working life anyways, didn't check the manufactured date) and I would imagine they don't even have 3k miles on them. All 4 are dry rotted and cracking/seperating but they still have good tread left on them. My little helper and I temporarily replaced 2 of them with a generic rim/tire combo (as shown) from Northern Tool and the tires are Carlisle and I think that's what I'm going with, I figure I've got nothing to lose.

I don't want to start the classic Goodyear or Carlisle debate. My question is what kind of preventative measures can I take to get more life out of the tires.

And is anyone else using this same or similar rim. I like that it's a 15" and will fill the space better. But I would need to paint them, the white with a blue and red pinstripe is kinda fugly!! Any pics and suggestions???

DSC03077.jpg Have I mentioned lately how I hate trailer tires? these were my 3 year old Good Years last year,stored in garage.

I have had the same thing happen multiple times. Best advice is to keep the tires out of direct sunlight as best you can. Generally that means tire covers.

So has anyone painted their rims? Any suggestions on paint and procedure, I'm thinking about just scuffing the existing white and painting with a high heat flat black...

Edited by Ndawg12

That's just a recommendation, like speed limit and stop signs. :biggrin:

No that is a physics fact direct from Goodyear. If you drive these radials faster that 65 there is excess stress on the tire while the radial design is doing its job.

No that is a physics fact direct from Goodyear. If you drive these radials faster that 65 there is excess stress on the tire while the radial design is doing its job.

:salute: ....I was j/k, I never go above 50 with my route to and from the lake.

So if you go faster (say 70 - 75 mph) I would assume you'd want to drop the air pressure a bit?

Ed

How fast do you go? Max speed at 50 psi is 65 mph.

Normally run at 65 mph. I have had Carlisle trailer tires with same defects. I am now back on Carlisle from Discount Tire and buy the certificates (warranty) for them to replace when they fall apart too(they will). If you google trailer tire failure, you will find it is common. Keep an eye on them and you can usually catch them separating or bulging in time to get it changed before it blows. Make a quick visual check before each trip.

My old 95 model boat rode on Goodyears that lasted 8 years before I replaced them due to tread worn out. All treated and used the same way. Every trailer tire (12 or more, I lost track) I have had since has not lasted past 3 years. I guess they don't make em like they used too!

I HATE trailer tires!

common there isn't one manufacture that make a decent tire for our trailers? Anyone?

edit: Did a quick search and all I found was a kenda...the rest are carlisle or goodyear. Seems like there should be at least a few more

Edited by Ruffdog

So has anyone painted their rims? Any suggestions on paint and procedure, I'm thinking about just scuffing the existing white and painting with a high heat flat black...

Oh come on "Mr. scuff and rattle can".

Do it right, have them powder coated, it'll last longer.