Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05-08 VLX vs LSV23-Monsoon

Woodsprinter

My 04 VLX will be sold this Sat.. I need help with decison with which boat I should upgrade. I am looking at 05-08 VLX and 05-08 LSV23. I know LSV is bigger and roomy. What about fuel consumption? They are about 300LBS difference. I have a family of 5 (3 boys -11,8,4). My other family friends will join us often. However, I often have only 3 persons for serious WB and wakesurfing... Also my criteria will be quad ballasts and wedge. Also I am not sure which about power and floating wedge.. I did read some forum. I don't care if power wedge is easy life because I don't mind going to release floating wedge. My concern is its function of wedge. If power is much better in function, I will go for it.. I like floating wedge because of maintenance free.. Can power wedge act as floating wedge in case of it doesn't work or too expensive to repair? Thanks

I upgraded from an 02 VLX to an 05 LSV and let me tell you, I am SO happy with the LSV. Like you, I also considered a newer VLX but came across this LSV which was priced right (Much cheaper than anything I have come across) and I couldnt be happier with the decision. I havent had the boat out too much, but fuel consuption doesnt seem to be too far off from my VLX(both have Monsoon). I have noticed my new LSV runs at a slightly higher RPM when cruising but I think that has more to do with the prop.

Either way, with your crew, I think you should focus on an LSV but I wouldnt pass up a VLX if it is priced right....

Regarding your quad ballast req, Dont forget you can add a bow tank....

My 04 VLX will be sold this Sat.. I need help with decison with which boat I should upgrade. I am looking at 05-08 VLX and 05-08 LSV23. I know LSV is bigger and roomy. What about fuel consumption? They are about 300LBS difference. I have a family of 5 (3 boys -11,8,4). My other family friends will join us often. However, I often have only 3 persons for serious WB and wakesurfing... Also my criteria will be quad ballasts and wedge. Also I am not sure which about power and floating wedge.. I did read some forum. I don't care if power wedge is easy life because I don't mind going to release floating wedge. My concern is its function of wedge. If power is much better in function, I will go for it.. I like floating wedge because of maintenance free.. Can power wedge act as floating wedge in case of it doesn't work or too expensive to repair? Thanks

if you need more room than you currently have in your '04 vlx then the 23 sounds like the boat for you, otherwise another vlx should work.

From what i have read here, the floating wedge works very well.

No, the power wedge is power only, it will not double as a floating wedge.

I upgraded from an 02 VLX to an 05 LSV and let me tell you, I am SO happy with the LSV. Like you, I also considered a newer VLX but came across this LSV which was priced right (Much cheaper than anything I have come across) and I couldnt be happier with the decision. I havent had the boat out too much, but fuel consuption doesnt seem to be too far off from my VLX(both have Monsoon). I have noticed my new LSV runs at a slightly higher RPM when cruising but I think that has more to do with the prop.

Either way, with your crew, I think you should focus on an LSV but I wouldnt pass up a VLX if it is priced right....

Regarding your quad ballast req, Dont forget you can add a bow tank....

-----

What do you mean by adding a bow tank? Is it better to have intergrated bow sac in bow than factory bow ballast bec of comfortable seating?

-----

What do you mean by adding a bow tank? Is it better to have intergrated bow sac in bow than factory bow ballast bec of comfortable seating?

You can add factory hard bow tank afterward if you can only find a boat without bow ballast. I actually think the seating is better with bow ballast myself.

You can add factory hard bow tank afterward if you can only find a boat without bow ballast. I actually think the seating is better with bow ballast myself.

:plus1: 06VLX said.

Before I had the bow ballast, I really wanted the "Walk through", but I am very happy with the bow ballast.

Edited by LiQUiDSX

For the amount of people you’ll be carrying the LSV will be more comfortable in terms of space. If your only occasionally taking more than your family than the VLX would be fine.... Both boats must have the bow weight so the front tank is a must imho, these boats love the front weight to create the rampy wake. Either boat will need to be repropped with the monsoon from the most likely Acme 537 to something like the Acme 1235, OJ 468, 475. Otherwise it takes awhile to get on plane fully loaded up w/ ballast and people.

The Power wedge is great to allow for adjustments for different riders. Occasionally I’ll have a Nautique rider take a set and bump of the PW and bam a vertical wake just as they are accustomed to. Can it break sure the actuators can break but it’s been around since ’06 w/ minimal issues. The floating wedge works great as well and certainly no slouch to the PW, if either boat had either one it wouldn’t be only factor of which one to get.

Might not want to rule out a 09 ride....same hulls as the 04-07 23 LSV and you can obtain a new or close to new boat for what people are asking for on '06's/'07's. I had a 23 and I really prefer the extra room...plus not sure if you get chop on the lake...bigger boat does a little better. I liked the 23 so well I just ordered my 2nd one.