Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My illusion tower is to heavy for my parents to raise and lower

I have an 08 21lsv with an illusion x tower but it isn't equipped with the counter balance setup that makes it easier to put up and down, where can I find the parts needed to install this. If I can't find the parts can I buy anew tower equipped with it. If neither of these are an option how can I make the existing tower easier to operate.

A retrofit like this has to be tough considering the amount of hardware to be installed. They have what appear to be like a garage door spring inside the gunnels. Seems like it could be quite the event installing the mounts & the spring & dismantling the interior to do it. :crazy:

If it is essential for your parents to raise and lower the tower, a different boat may be the most cost effective solution. The Illusion XS on my 2008 23 LSV was very light after the springs were adjusted properly. The G3 on the 2010's is truly a fingertip operation.

do they lower it to put it in storage only? If so get storage that allows them to get in with out lowering the tower. The tower is not very heavy when its not loaded, what all is on the tower to weigh it down? I do not have the cable and springs on my tower and by buddy does, there is really not much help there. Now the G3 is insane, you can lift it with a finger!

Get stronger parents.

Seriously though that tower should have springs on it, is it possible they just are not adjuested correctly. Also if you have a bunch of tower stuff like speakers, bimini, racks, lights etc, they make the tower a lot harder to put up and down.

-Chris

I have an 08 21lsv with an illusion x tower but it isn't equipped with the counter balance setup that makes it easier to put up and down, where can I find the parts needed to install this. If I can't find the parts can I buy anew tower equipped with it. If neither of these are an option how can I make the existing tower easier to operate.

I have had to unhook just the port side cable on my tower as the pulley was defective, so it has been unhooked for a few weeks as they get me the replacement. Can not believe the difference based on just having half the system. with both on the tower weighs nothing and can be raised and lowered with one hand. now need both hands and she comes down fast........................

The counter-weight (actually a spring) started in 2006 I believe (that's my year and I have it). If you have a 2008 it should have the spring, it may just need adjusting.

When you lower the tower, is there a cable connected to the stern end of the tower where the tower splits? this is the "counterbalance" cable.

Edit: spelling

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

how hard is it to adjust the spring on the IX? Mine was fine, until I added the racks, speakers and bimini. I can still lift it with one hand while putting the pin in with the other hand, but it's a struggle.

I'd also like to know how to adjust the spring on my 06. since I've added a lot of hardware, it's become pretty heavy and we need to lower it every time we put it away in the boat house. Thanks for the help

If I'm alone Its a chore to put the tower up by myself. To make it easier I take a racheting tie down (like you can buy at walmart or an auto parts store) and connect it to the ski pylon and the tower pylon. Wrench that puppy up and throw the pins in! They sell soft ties at walmart for a couple bucks that you can wrap around the pylons first so you dont scratch them

I'd also like to know how to adjust the spring on my 06. since I've added a lot of hardware, it's become pretty heavy and we need to lower it every time we put it away in the boat house. Thanks for the help

Madmanacrossthewater wrote in this thread

Have someone pull down front of tower (to take tension off spring) while you remove retaining pins. Most likely, the tower spring is already adjusted with a pre load. If additional items are installed on tower (like board racks, speakers, lights, etc.) then it may be necessary to adjust the back of spring. If more lift is required then screw nut to the right, for less lift turn nut to left.

However grizz737 then responded

The Illusion X works as a huge lever, so if you add accessories, the spring cannot be preloaded to the point it will compensate for the additional weight
Edited by CedarLakeSkier

Or be a good son and do it for them. :whistle:

Sorry it's taken me forever to get back on the thread, The tower does not have the springs installed...it was put on by the dealer without the springs. The reason it needs to be easy is because we have a very low bridge the boat with the tower up won't go under that takes us to the other side of the lake. So I either need to install the springs if possible, replace the tower with one that is easier, or keep the boat on one side of the lake. Just hoping their is a good solution. Also my parents and I are rarely in the boat together, if so we can lower the tower.

Edited by W.I.T.
MalibuNation

Or be a good son and do it for them. :whistle:

I'm glad you guys said it and not me ... I've got the Titan II with a pair of Wetsound Pro 80s and a Wetsound 485 and when I lift the tower I'm too weak/tired to ski :biggrin:

"The reason it needs to be easy is because we have a very low bridge the boat with the tower up won't go under."

We have one of those brides on our lake. You could do what I have seen on our lake.

Two time I have seen. A Little more SPEED It will fold the tower for you. :tease2::oops::fingerwag:

Sorry it's taken me forever to get back on the thread, The tower does not have the springs installed...it was put on by the dealer without the springs. The reason it needs to be easy is because we have a very low bridge the boat with the tower up won't go under that takes us to the other side of the lake. So I either need to install the springs if possible, replace the tower with one that is easier, or keep the boat on one side of the lake. Just hoping their is a good solution. Also my parents and I are rarely in the boat together, if so we can lower the tower.

Put it on the dealer, I'm sure the assembly came with the springs someone was just too lazy to put them on. I'm sure you guys mentioned you have a low bridge and need a tower that is easy to fold, the dealer should have made sure the tower was installed properly - with the springs. Also the spring bracket serves as the backing plate to distribute the load of the tower properly over the gunnel, I would peek/feel up there to see if there is a backing plate at all. If there is no backing plate and no springs, the install was a total hack job and should be fixed.

-Chris