Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used Boat Condition

TrickyNicky

I am discussing a deal form a malibu dealer on a used 2007 VTX.

These are the specs:

2007 VTX

250 hours

Cut Diamond hull

Bow ballast

Manual fixed wedge

alpha I tower speakers

sound pack 1 with sub and amp

titan spinner board racks

illusion xs tower

I have been informed by the dealer that the owner did not take great care of the boat. I asked the dealer to send me pictures of any defects. See Pics:

The questions I have are:

1- Would you even express interest in boat of this condition?

2-What would you be willing to pay? Or what kind of a discount would you ask relative to a similar boat in good condition?

3- Is there anything you notice in the pictures that I may be missing?

Thanks ahead of time.

Looks like easily repaired blemishes to me.

I would pay much more attention to the mechanicals.

Engine, transmission and such.

No real discount for a few cosmetics that can be fixed in a day.

250 hours means they really used the boat instead of sitting and looking at it in the garage.

That’s high hours for a 3 year old boat so the appearance may be from being used a lot. Remember the key word here is “used”.

Last I heard, average was 75 hrs per year, more if you live in a warm area. So 250 is only a little over average.

The worst thing I saw in those pics was that bent Malibu billet logo.... and a guy might be able to fix that. The scratches & dings can be fixed pretty easily by any dealer or fiberglass guy.

I'd be more concerned about the features than anything in those pics..... not an Illusion fan.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Last I heard, average was 75 hrs per year, more if you live in a warm area. So 250 is only a little over average.

The worst thing I saw in those pics was that bent Malibu billet logo.... and a guy might be able to fix that. The scratches & dings can be fixed pretty easily by any dealer or fiberglass guy.

I'd be more concerned about the features than anything in those pics..... not an Illusion fan.

Ya I was boggled by how the malibu logo could have been bent like that. Its a simple and cheap repair that the dealer has offered but I wanted to get opinions on what others may think.

When you say 'not a fan of the illusion' do you mean all illusion or just illusion x. And why?

Also any opinions on what it should be worth?

Ya I was boggled by how the malibu logo could have been bent like that. Its a simple and cheap repair that the dealer has offered but I wanted to get opinions on what others may think.

When you say 'not a fan of the illusion' do you mean all illusion or just illusion x. And why?

Also any opinions on what it should be worth?

I am guessing a wakeboard got caught under it with someone on the swim step and leveraged it up, or maybe caught something in it like a cover or rope. I agree with the other comments about the mechanicals, that is the most important. The vinyl also looks alot like board marks or what ever from things being set on the vinyl and dragged across it. I am surprised the dealer isn't detailing those minor defects out. Since the dealer said the boat wasn't taken care of, run with it. Start at 10k. off of comparably well maintained boats. They (the dealer) see lots of boats that are also very well maintained, so from their perspective what looks "trashed",half the boaters out their might not even notice. The main thing I would ask for is if there are any service records so you know if the regular maintenance was done.

I thought average hours were about 50 per year, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's time for an hour usage poll.

I thought average hours were about 50 per year, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's time for an hour usage poll.

crap, I have 26 hours on mine this year and it is April.............water temp 49 to 51...just wait til it gets to 60 degrees Crazy.gif

I usually put 80 - 100 hrs on my boat every year. We're already at about 15 now.

The Illusion is made by Metcraft, who is not in business any more. Metcraft had a history of making really crappy towers (see Tige & Calabria). Some of the Illusions had issues with bushings, pins & hinge bolts wearing prematurely, especially if their loaded with speakers, boards & foils (weight) & going thru the chop.

I'm a foil rider, like 225 lbs & probably the middle of the pack as far as weight & ability. We tend to expose any problems like this, and have seen some catastrophic failures. As a result I'm very sold on Titan's designs. Hoping that the new G3 lives up to their reputation.

Not, too bad. Dealer should be able to fix all of that for you in 2.2. Except maybe the scratches on the tower speaker? I would be more concerned about the mechanicals, too.

Yeah that damage is nothing. Based on those photos I think it is a little unfair to the previous owner to say he didn't take care of the boat.

I usually put 80 - 100 hrs on my boat every year. We're already at about 15 now.

The Illusion is made by Metcraft, who is not in business any more. Metcraft had a history of making really crappy towers (see Tige & Calabria). Some of the Illusions had issues with bushings, pins & hinge bolts wearing prematurely, especially if their loaded with speakers, boards & foils (weight) & going thru the chop.

I'm a foil rider, like 225 lbs & probably the middle of the pack as far as weight & ability. We tend to expose any problems like this, and have seen some catastrophic failures. As a result I'm very sold on Titan's designs. Hoping that the new G3 lives up to their reputation.

So an Illusion XS would still have these problems. I only ask because their is another boat with an illusion XS that we would be looking at if we did not go with this.

So an Illusion XS would still have these problems. I only ask because their is another boat with an illusion XS that we would be looking at if we did not go with this.

Anything is possible. Just be aware of it when you look them over. Lots of people use the towers with little or no problem.

Pretty sad that an 07 boat is in such banged up condition. If the previous owner cared so little about the things that you can see, how much did he care about the things that you can't?

Pretty sad that an 07 boat is in such banged up condition. If the previous owner cared so little about the things that you can see, how much did he care about the things that you can't?

Yea..it's a shame, but some people just don't care about the cosmetics of a boat. A neighbor of ours needs to replace the vinyl of his '02 Moomba because he leaves it uncovered year around in the boat house. Another friend of mine takes care of regular maintenance(oil&winterization) with his '06 Centurion, but after two years has yet to fix the busted piston that holds up his passenger seat or replace his steering cable, which about takes two hands to turn the wheel. I, on the other hand, get obsessive compulsive about water spots and should buy stock in Babes boat bright.

With that said, if the dealer OKs the mechanics of the boat, then the cosmetics are only a minor setback and will a little elbow grease, no prob.

This was precisely my thinking. I have no interest in the boat without a full mechanical inspection.

For many of the pictures I was not worried about fixing or cleaning, more curious as to how the damage could have occurred. Knowing the reasons can say a lot about an owner. For example, how do tower speakers get scratched. I've never owned any, but I'm assuming this isn't common. Dontknow.gif

If that's all you have for damage, that's nothing.

:plus1:

I finally looked at the pics, was expecting way worse from the comments. most of that stuff is normal wear and tear on a 3 year old well used boat. Obviously some instances have occurred, maybe from driver error or lack of boating experience rather than from an "I don't care attitude".

This was precisely my thinking. I have no interest in the boat without a full mechanical inspection.

For many of the pictures I was not worried about fixing or cleaning, more curious as to how the damage could have occurred. Knowing the reasons can say a lot about an owner. For example, how do tower speakers get scratched. I've never owned any, but I'm assuming this isn't common. Dontknow.gif

that is unusual, maybe from the way they were stored prior to installation?

For example, how do tower speakers get scratched. I've never owned any, but I'm assuming this isn't common. Dontknow.gif

Lifting a wakeboard up to put it in the rack, waves bouncing the boat around, someone backs into the person with the board up in the air, knocks the board against the speaker?

The marks on the hull could have been done while tied up to a dock or houseboat? If they were only using those small bumpers, it's pretty easy for the lake chop to make the boat hit at some point.

Dings happen. I really don't think that any of those marks are indicative of any abuse.

Looks like someone cleaned those speakers with a brillo pad, some people are anal about their stuff and others just use it, sounds like the previous owner was the latter of the two. Doesn't mean the boat isn't in top mechanical condition and had all the proper maintenance performed.

-Chris