Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No start + fault code

Hi everyone,

This site has been awesome in helping solve many mysteries with my vRide, but this one is quite a challenge.

I've got a dual battery setup. Water levels in both are full, and took them for a pre-season charge last week and both were diagnosed in good health. 55 hrs on the boat, terminals are clean, tight, and not corroded. Throttle control is not in gear (since it starts with the other battery).

Took the boat out yesterday and tried to start but got the dreaded "click-click-click-click" sound and the battery threshold warning/beep from the dash with no turnover. The second battery turned the engine over and started it up fine. I'll be honest, I didnt check any of the circuit breakers, but lights, horn, blower, and pumps all work properly.

After starting up with the good battery, we cruised and noticed volts showing 14-14.5. When I select the low voltage battery while underway, volts still showed 14-14.5 so it looks like the alternator is working properly.

After doing some searching I'm curious if this could this simply be the relay near the motor that I've read about that needs to be reset? Also, I'm getting an engine related fault code that says "Mhc SPN 65581 CM 0 Bad intelligent device or comp FMI 12 OC 18" which I have no idea what it means. The "No Crank Troubleshooting" file is awesome, but I'm leary about applying 12V direct to the solenoid nut.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Ryan (the new guy)

welcome to the crew.

if the starter spins up ok with one battery and not the other i think that is an indication of a bad (under-charged?) battery or something that is common with that batteries circuit yet not common with the good battery circuit. consider swapping the batteries and running through the same operating procedures. note if the problem follows the same battery, indicating a battery problem) or if the problem does not follow the battery then the switches or wiring is suspect.

sorry, can't help with the trouble codes.

good luck w it.

was this an aftermarket addition? or a malibu feature, if the later I would suggest ripping it into the dealer and getting it sorted out

nothing worse than no juice on the waterSad.gif

I can’t think of anything else but a bad battery. If one starts the engine and the other one doesn’t what else could it be. You said you had the batteries charged but did you have them do a drop test? My guess is that will show a bad battery.

And welcome to the BuCrew! :welcome:

I cant think of anything else but a bad battery. If one starts the engine and the other one doesnt what else could it be. You said you had the batteries charged but did you have them do a drop test? My guess is that will show a bad battery.

And welcome to the BuCrew! :welcome:

I'm the second owner so I don't know if it was a factory install or DIY job. I will pull it this weekend and have it drop tested since that seems to be the first logical step in troubleshooting.

Thanks again and for the warm welcome,

Ryan

Edited by nitram
  • 2 weeks later...