Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keel damage?

Anybody elses look like this? It almost looks like I'm scraping the trailer as I load and/or unload but I've never felt anything. I don't beach it either. A small section of it is patched because an actual chunk about the size of a dime was missing and fiber was showing. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

post-8316-127156344847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

Anybody elses look like this? It almost looks like I'm scraping the trailer as I load and/or unload but I've never felt anything. I don't beach it either. A small section of it is patched because an actual chunk about the size of a dime was missing and fiber was showing. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

you may need to check the roller on your trailer. Make sure it spins freely. Also check to see that the rubber on the roller itself is not cracked or that the metal bar is exposed. This happened to mine.

you may need to check the roller on your trailer. Make sure it spins freely. Also check to see that the rubber on the roller itself is not cracked or that the metal bar is exposed. This happened to mine.

Good call, I will check that tomorrow after we unload.

material transfer from one of the newly carpeted bunks? :dontknow:

Happened to me just had to buff off the material. Nate check to see if you are missing gel-coat or have a transfer of material.

The roller was very tight, I'll loosen that lock nut up, but as was stated the keel shouldn't be contacting there.

material transfer from one of the newly carpeted bunks? :dontknow:

I suppose when I load, that area will scrape across the bunks until it automatically aligns itself.

there is no way that is happening from loading the boat on the trailer. Are you sure you have never beached it?

I know that I never have but the previous owner...:dontknow: he did have his boat repo'd if that tells you anything.

Happened to me just had to buff off the material. Nate check to see if you are missing gel-coat or have a transfer of material.

ICBW but that black strip appears to be missing gelcoat, not a build up of material, I hope I'm wrong, I usually am, I'll take a closer look in the day time!!

The black is missing gelcoat which you want to get sealed up somehow. Your probably don't need a perfect repair or could even throw one of those keel guards on instead.

-Chris

I would ask someone to watch from the water (stand by the wheels) when you put the boat on the trailer. My first thought was the trailer was not in deep enough, but I am not sold this would do this damage. However before you do the final cosmetic fit I would have someone watch it come on the trailer.

have you ever loaded it and gone really sideways when driving it on?

I would ask someone to watch from the water (stand by the wheels) when you put the boat on the trailer. My first thought was the trailer was not in deep enough, but I am not sold this would do this damage. However before you do the final cosmetic fit I would have someone watch it come on the trailer.

have you ever loaded it and gone really sideways when driving it on?

Yeah, 2 weeks ago, the current was crazy and I came in crookeder than a dogs hind leg :cry: Thanks for reminding me of that because I never noticed it before, that's probably when it happened. Makes me feel better in a way because it's probably not something I've been repeatedly doing wrong.

• 1 month later...

Since I know that you've been on the edges of your seats waiting for an update :crazy: . I'm having warranty gel work done on the deep gouges on the transom where the storage lids come down. I got to thinking, he's all ready going to have the gel ready to go, why not have him shoot that area too since it's the same color, white. He said he would prep, spray, and finish it out for me for $150 :thumbup: