Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Skier stiff rudder

I have a 1991 Malibu Skier. I recently changed the steering cable and the steering was still stiff. I found out that the rudder is stiff. Can and how I grease the rudder/housing? I dont see any zerk fittings. Do I need to disassemble the rudder/housing? I've looked online on how to do this but I can't find anything. Please help!!!!!

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). My rudder is very sloppy/loose in its housing which has lead to stiff steering. This is a common problem with this age Skier. The link below may shine some light on what is going on with your boat. Thanks to JeffS for putting it all together. I am in the process this weekend of removing my rudder and rudder housing to send off and have replaced. I hope this helps.

Link

Here you go. This is the thread you want.

Or, you can just click [search] on the above menu bar, and type in something relevant like "Skier Rudder" or "Euro F3 Skier Rudder" and the selections will come up.

Bottom line - there are no zirks or grease fittings in that rudder, and the problem isn't grease, it's a worn out carrier sleeve made of plastic. Let me know if you have any questions beyond what you find on the thread linked here. It's easy to fix - costs $160.

Thanks for the reply!! Are there any aftermarket parts for this or does a machinist need to make custom parts. Thanks for your quick response :biggrin:

No aftermarket parts, no mfr parts - no nothing that I found anywhere from anyone. Had to do custom work. CW the mfr is no longer in business...nearest I can find they went out about 17 years go. Malibu dealerships have long ago forgotten everything they ever knew about Skier's. When you think about it, most mechanics under the age of 30 were toddlers or younger when these boats were new.

I was thinking about taking a shot at taking the housing apart and putting some marine grease in there. My rudder isn't sloppy or loose its just stiff. Worth a shot?

I was thinking about taking a shot at taking the housing apart and putting some marine grease in there. My rudder isn't sloppy or loose its just stiff. Worth a shot?

It's always worth a shot if you ask me. With that said - taking the shot may mean that the parts inside are broken or breaking and you may have to find replacements. It's not riskless. It may not go back together. Mine went back together, but the increased pressure of the new 'o' rings broke the old plastic casing under the load of water pushing past the rudder blade - and they started to break up in about a month.

-J

A few years ago I got a replacement rudder housing at Marine Hardware. Then had it machined to match my old one. You might want to go that route. But upgrade if you do. Measure your rudder shaft diameter and buy a rudder housing with that dim. I wonder what newer rudder housings use to seal out water. Mine uses flax packing in the top nut and has 1 rubber o-ring.

Good new....took the tiller off and noticed it wasnt a CW rudder assembly, but a Marine Hardware assembly. Dropper the rudder and the shaft was bone dry with no grease. I put some blue marine grease on the shaft, put everything back together and it turns with one finger. Happy I dont have to spend a few hundred bucks on stuff I didnt want to buy. Thanks guys!