Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon Stutter??

Took my Echelon (454 MPI) out a few times and it has a stutter. By stutter I mean it sounds like it is missing and then picks right back up and misses again. Heres the weird thing though. It only does it from idle to about 30 mph. Above 30mph it is as smooth as butter. I had a friend drive it today and he tried some things. With it out of gear as you give it gas it stutters up to about 2000 rpm's and then jumps to 3000 rpm's. I could not even get it to run anywhere betwenn 2000 and 3000 rpms. It auto matically jumps from 2000 to 3000 rpm. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Fuel filters are a good place to start, make sure you look to see if the one at the carb inlet is clean. Other possibilities include the accelerator pumps, that would cause a similar type problem. If not fuel, I would look at the distributor cap to ensure no corrosion.

I have changed the fuel filter before I took the boat out this spring. I replaced the cap and button this spring as well. The boat is Multi port fuel injection and I don't think that that is the problem. I am leaning towards an ignition problem beaceus my old boat did simalar things is it was not timed correctly. Does anyone know if I have to have a special tool to set the timing? My book say I do??? Also if someone knows how the timing advances on this boat I would love to learn. I know some distributors are vacum and some have springs in them, however in my repair manuel it appears that this model may be all computer controlled. Thanks for the help