Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help: Heatercraft repair not working properly

Crew,

Need help. Have done multiple searches but can't find technical details.

I have the Heatercraft 2 Port heater on my Vride. I have changed the core. Last core cracked over winter. Heater has never worked properly.

I have switched the hoses twice on the core, thinking order was an issue. Have also flipped the return line Y-pipe. I currently have return pipe pointed in direction of flow to create negative pressure.

So when I disconnect the return line I can get hot water flowing into bilge (using finger to plug Y-pipe) and therefore heater distibuting hot air. But when connecting Y-pipe to return, I immediately get system cold. It appears the cold water return jams the hot water feed.

I have tried burping the system by disconnecting the Y-pipe return. Letting hot water flow for awhile.

I have even tried revving the engine in Neutral to no avail.

Can someone advise on what am I missing to make this work?

(Dealer support is not an option. Boat is a 2008 Malibu Vride - 21)

The heater is a factory install. Would they really make such a mistake?

The Y-pipe is about 6 inches past Water Pump outlet.

I am very cautious about cutting another section of pressure line.

When the engine is running the return line has a small amount of water pouring out of Y-pipe under pressure. Is this correct or should it just be air suction?

Factory started installing the Y-pipe in 2005 and they need to install it in the water line after the raw pump per some Coast Guard regulation. It will work on either side, before the pump is better.

Is the Y-pipe pluged?

Edited by onamission

The Y-Pipe is not plugged. As you described factory places it after pump per previous topics on this site. Everyone seems to move it to before pump. I am not trying to get extra performance by moving. I am just trying to reach standard performance with current location, if possible.

So I would prefer not to plug it and create another point.

If you are asking whether Y-Pipe is clogged, it is not. While engine is running, I have disconnected just about every hose (it's not that much water flow loss to cause engine damage or sinking). So when I unhook the hot water return line from Y-Pipe, the Y-Pipe sprays cold water under mild pressure. It doesn't cause a sucking of air. While the now loose hot water return line near the Y-Pipe begins to pour 160 degree water. And ofcourse now the heater is working and blowing hot air. But I am now pouring water all over my bilge so this is not a real solution.

The moment I connect the hot water return line back to the Y-Pipe, the lines all get cold including the heater core. I presume this means the cold water is being pushed under pressure through the circuit.

This is such a simple design. I am not understanding what am I doing wrong. I have flipped both hoses on the core and flipped the Y-Pipe in case I had any of them running in the wrong direction.

Looking for any ideas or tricks or other troubleshooting advice to solve this.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I never understood how it worked at all with the Y after the water pump, seems like the pressure / suction thing would be all out of whack, but I could be wrong. My Y is installed as others have mentioned, before the raw water pump with the other hose connecting on the intake manifold (port on the water pump is plugged with a 1/2 inch plug), and it works great.

The hot water source hose is connected near the Exhaust manifold. There is a brass connector that was threaded into the head. Amazingly the brass 45 degree piece is actually two parts that have wrench slots to disassemble. Visually it would be under the plastic trim cover that screws to the air filter. It is near the back on top, slightly past the far right fuel injector.

I have unhooked this hot water source hose also when running. It is hot water flowing under pressure. (It is more difficult to reconnect while running due to pressure and heat involved, but can also be checked running without risk)

I have also removed the brass 45 degree piece (when not running) to check for clogs.

The hot water source hose is connected near the Exhaust manifold. There is a brass connector that was threaded into the head.

I don't believe I've ever seen an install like this. My own heater is connected at the engine water pump & at the intake manifold (no Y adapter). But I did work with Heatercraft on an MC install, with the Y, and neither hose was connected to the exhaust manifold in that case either.

Might be time to contact Heatercraft tech support on this:

http://www.heatercraft.com/TechSupportRequest.aspx

Posting the final solution for others that may be in search of similar solutions.

Based on support from Paul at Bakes Marine (not my local dealer), he instructed to look at the Transmission cooler. That typically the screen for the transmission cooler can get clogged with grass or other items and put enough back pressure to impact the heater return line. Upon clearing up the screen I was able to get enough suction for the heating system to work. (The debris didn't impact running temperature of boat, but did impact heater return line, so margin to failure is very small on heater)

So beyond all the trouble-shooting, recommend you check the transmission cooler screen for any debris.

Posting the final solution for others that may be in search of similar solutions.

Based on support from Paul at Bakes Marine (not my local dealer), he instructed to look at the Transmission cooler. That typically the screen for the transmission cooler can get clogged with grass or other items and put enough back pressure to impact the heater return line. Upon clearing up the screen I was able to get enough suction for the heating system to work. (The debris didn't impact running temperature of boat, but did impact heater return line, so margin to failure is very small on heater)

So beyond all the trouble-shooting, recommend you check the transmission cooler screen for any debris.

Good advice from Bakes... and the hose that is under the exhaust maifold is probably a red 3/8 hose? If so thats for the hot water to shower...if its not and is the 5/8 heater hose never seen it hooked up that way from Malibu...? Good luck!