Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hairline cracks in gelcoat at base of tower

I have a 2008 VTX with the illusion x tower and I just noticed a couple hairline cracks around the base of the tower in the gelcoat. How worried should I be? Is this something that other people have experienced? Any info is appreciated, just bought the boat from a private party and it's my first wakeboard boat.

It does seem to be a problem with some of the Illusion towers to cause cracking of the gelcoat at the base. You should contact your dealer, but be advised that the warranty on the gelcoat is 2yrs from purchase date. If it has been more than 2 years then you could still attempt to see if Malibu will cover the repair.

It does seem to be a problem with some of the Illusion towers to cause cracking of the gelcoat at the base. You should contact your dealer, but be advised that the warranty on the gelcoat is 2yrs from purchase date. If it has been more than 2 years then you could still attempt to see if Malibu will cover the repair.

Wow, I was not aware of that, I've got a gelcoat warranty request in to Malibu right now, but if that's correct I'm out of warranty, can anyone else verify that????

Thanks for the replies. The boat was originally purchased in June of 08' and I just purchased it last Monday. Should I try and get the warranty transfered before the 10 days is up?

I thought gelcoat was only 1 year, did it change recently?

No, you are correct. The gelcoat is 1 year, not 2 years as I posted earlier. I was being lazy last night and just did a quick internet search and found this link to Boat test where they list the gelcoat as 2 years. I went down and pulled out my manual and noted that it is 1 year. I would still contact the dealer about seeing if Malibu would still cover the repairs. It is worth the try.

No, you are correct. The gelcoat is 1 year, not 2 years as I posted earlier. I was being lazy last night and just did a quick internet search and found this link to Boat test where they list the gelcoat as 2 years. I went down and pulled out my manual and noted that it is 1 year. I would still contact the dealer about seeing if Malibu would still cover the repairs. It is worth the try.

I have an 08 with the XS tower and just had mine fixed a monthe ago. Everything was covered under warranty. Purchased the boat in mar of 08.

My brand new FXI has small gel coat cracks around the bow eye and windshield. I spoke to my dealer and they said no problem for the fixes. I heard from another dealer before I bought my Malibu that the EPA put more stringent regulations on something in the chemical make up of the gel coats on the boats that makes them more prone to cracking. Anyone else hear anything?

I knew they changed the gelcoat composition in 05', but don't know if they have since changed it even more. I had an 05 with the illusion that had cracks around the tower base, but before it was fixed I found the big nuts that attach the tower were loose on both sides, most likely that's what caused the cracks. Not drastically loose, but they took a few cranks before getting tight.

My brand new FXI has small gel coat cracks around the bow eye and windshield. I spoke to my dealer and they said no problem for the fixes. I heard from another dealer before I bought my Malibu that the EPA put more stringent regulations on something in the chemical make up of the gel coats on the boats that makes them more prone to cracking. Anyone else hear anything?

They did go to low VOC awhile ago, I think more hull blistering issues came up after the change, as for the cracking that comes from poor installation of hardware at the factory.

-Chris

This is true. When I toured the Malibu factory last year in TN, they said the same thing about the chemical change in the gelcoat.

This is true. When I toured the Malibu factory last year in TN, they said the same thing about the chemical change in the gelcoat.

The local dealer told me the same thing.

I thought the gelcoat warranty was 2yrs. Maybe its recently changed, but my dealer was still covering gelcoat for 2 years (no questions asked) this past winter.

I have had a lot of problems w/ gelcoat cracks on my 07. Around the starbord platform mount, tower, bow light, and windshield. I have had them all fixed, but most come back fairly quickly. The cracks around the platform mount have come back three times! Its like "The Fall of the House of Usher" for anyone old enough to remember that movie. Apparently, thanks to the EPA and so-called global warming gel coat cracks are here to stay.

Edited by shade

I have gelcoat cracks around the mounts for my swim platform. I had asked the dealer to see if they would be covered and they always say we will take a picture and check with Malibu and then I don't hear back. Its on me because I have not followed up. But anyway...

Do you think the hair line cracks are mostly a cosmetic item as opposed to a structural integrity concern?

we just had the same problem with ours. we purchased it in feb 07. they wouldnt cover it so called the manufactor direct and talked to the guy that handles all the warranties and told him that i was part of the crew and new this was a comin problem and he offered to cover the whole thing. he told me the cracks are only cosmetic and would not hurt to use it and that the integrity of the tower was just fine. the warranty on gel coat is 2 years and although im three years malibu still covered it. just tells you that malibu cares about the there customers.

I've had the same problems with my 06 VLX.

They fixed the cracks around the tower in 07 but they came right back! And In 08 I noticed I had alot of spider web cracks around my swim platform base. Contacted Malibu and they said they weren't under warrantty however the posed no structal threat just cosmetic. For right now I'm just living with them however it's very dissapointing!

I have an 05 Sunscape with an Illusion X. I did not see cracks while the tower bases were on. I took off the tower bases and saw cracks around the bolt holes, especially the back hole. The back hole was also humped up while looking flat across the top deck. There is alot of leverage on that back hole!! I cut a 24" piece of channel iron [2"x1/2"] and bolted it under the deck to the bases to span farther for support, just did it so we will see. I'll keep you posted. Does anyone know if the Wakesetter is re-enforced for the towers and the Sunscape is not.