Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond Hull VLX vs Nautique 211

Jim11

I'm looking to buy a VLX used, but one with diamond hull to preserve slalom capability (former shortline skier with a DD Nautique, now just an old imitator). I have young teenagers who want to wakeboard, so that's first priority. For a "crossover" boat, I believe the VLX with diamond hull (and ballast and wedge) give me more versatility and better boarding wakes than the Nautique 211, yet wakes just as flat at 30+ MPH for slalom.

The easy thing to do is get a used VLX with wake hull (many are available), but I fear that even with bow ballast full, I won't ever really use this boat to ski much.

Any opinions?

I'm looking to buy a VLX used, but one with diamond hull to preserve slalom capability (former shortline skier with a DD Nautique, now just an old imitator). I have young teenagers who want to wakeboard, so that's first priority. For a "crossover" boat, I believe the VLX with diamond hull (and ballast and wedge) give me more versatility and better boarding wakes than the Nautique 211, yet wakes just as flat at 30+ MPH for slalom.

The easy thing to do is get a used VLX with wake hull (many are available), but I fear that even with bow ballast full, I won't ever really use this boat to ski much.

Any opinions?

I'm fairly certain that, as a shortline slalom skier accustomed to DD wakes, you will

be disappointed with the VLX, whether its a wake hull or a diamond hull. The diamond

hull will have a noticeably smaller wake above 30 mph, but its still not comparable to

a DD.

My guess is that you'll probably be disappointed with any v-drive, from the perspective

of a slalom skier, but the slightly smaller VTX on the cut-diamond hull may be the

best compromise.

Edited by srab

What years are you looking at?

For surprisingly good slalom performance, the models to look at are:

2001 Sunsetter VLX

2002-2004 Sunscape 21 LSV

2008-current Sunscape 20 LSV or the Fakesetter version.

All will ski really well. The 2005-current 21 LSV on the diamond hull is decent, but isn't quite as good as the others listed above. I regularly ski our 2001 VLX at 28 off and don't feel it gives up too much to the direct drives. You run into more spray beyond 35 off, but if you're that type of skier, you aren't going to be buying a V drive.

IMO This comparison is not a good one as the VLX is very concentrated on wakeboarding NOT skiing. The VTX is a MUCH better comparison. Maybe a misprint?Dontknow.gif

First understand that my opinion is based solely on what I have heard from others as I have been researching lots for a similar boat.

Generally DD's ski better than V-drives, V-drives produce a better wake for boarding than DD's.

In Malibu's current lineup,:

All three boats below have the exact same hull!

-Best v-drive for skiing is the Sunscape 20LSV (let someone else confirm)

-Best crossover v-drive is the Wakesetter VTX on Diamond hull. (new in 2007) Same as the sunscape but with stock 900 lb ballast (opt 1250) and tower

-Best DD crossover boat - Response Fxi (New in 2009) Same as sunscape except DD configuration and 400lb rear ballast

IMO the reasonable comparison would be CC 211 vs. Malibu VTX Diamond Hull. I would also be very interested in this comparison.

IMHO I think the best boat for your needs is the VTX. But if you don't mind the layout of a DD go with the Response Fxi for best ski wakes of the 3.

Edited by TrickyNicky

I have a 09 VTX with the Diamond Hull and honestly the ski wake is amazing. I feel that the vTX produces a better ski wake than my 89 DD Sunsetter! You wont be disapointed!!

I've got a 2002 Sunscape 21LSV and the slalom wake is very good for a boat its size. No, its not DD quality, but it is very good, and a great wakeboard, surfer, and cruiser at that! I just test drove one of the new generation 21' v-drives (VLX on a diamond hull) and it was not nearly as good for slalom, bad enough so I would not consider it at all.

I'm opting for a new VTX on a diamond hull, finding used ones on diamond hulls are like finding a needle in a hay stack.

My 2002 21LSV is for sale. its loaded to the hilt, looks like a wakesetter so your kids will love it!! (2005 illusion tower, wedge, racks, massive stereo, perfect pass GPS...etc) but sits on a diamond hull, so you'll still have a boat that skis well for you (we've had it through the slalom course many times!). I'd be glad to take you for a ski on it if you are close by.

Send me a PM if interested.

I've attached a pic of the ski wake and board wake for a general idea of what to expect on a 02-04 21LSV

- Chad

ski.JPG

board.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by chadwick02

What years are you looking at?

For surprisingly good slalom performance, the models to look at are:

2001 Sunsetter VLX

2002-2004 Sunscape 21 LSV

2008-current Sunscape 20 LSV or the Fakesetter version.

:bash:

Agree with Tricky. VTX or CC 211. I think the VTX has a better layout than the CC 211. 211 has a strange seating arrangement and a high floor. Worried about resale on the 211, too. Depends on what part of the country you're in I guess. Nautique's don't sell too well in my neck of the woods. I own a 2005 MC X2, it's not a bad crossover boat either. Decent ski wake, bit of a bump, legendary wakeboard wake and an OK surf wake. The boat can feel small at times.....I hope to demo a VTX soon......

The best dual purpose boat with a world class slalom wake is a Sunsetter LXI from 99 to 04 with the Diamond v23 hull.

With the wedge and ballast its boarding wake is not bad. My bud's boy is doing flips with it and we ski short line all the time the wake is very very close to my RLXI

:bash:

? What? You've never heard that term? Malibu's been making Wakesetters on Diamond hulls for years. I see you've got one. No need to be offended. It's just a clever name someone here came up with to describe them.

I prefer skiing behind my VTX than I did behind my SSLxi. The VTX on Diamond hull skis very well. That's the cross-over boat in the Malibu line that you really should look at.