Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gah! No gauges on keyup

Gang,

As you've seen from my posts here over the past several months I've made the following mods to my boat:

1. Blue Seas Add a Battery

2. Stereo mods

3. Added the factory depth gauge module.

I'm taking my boat in to get summerized this morning and I thought I'd better stick the key in the ignition and make sure I get gauges at keyup. Unfortunately I get nothing. The house bank does work (i.e. I can turn on ballast pumps, blower, etc.). The starter also works to turn over the engine (was not hooked to water so just bumped it for a sec). I don't know if the boat will actually fire... obviously I didn't try as I'm not hooked up.

The only messing with the gauges I did was to add the factory depth module. It did not come with instructions, but it appeared simple enough. I plugged in the molex plug to the empty slot under the dash. There were two dangling wires which I did not initially hook up before keying up the first time. They are red and black. I figured that maybe they were preventing the gauges from working. So I just hooked the red wire to key'd power (ignition) and black to ground. Again, no instructions, but I'm figuring that those are pretty universal.

Tried again, still no gauges at keyup.

Then I unplugged the newly added depth module from the molex plug.

Tried again, still no gauges at keyup.

I pushed all of the breakers, but none seemed blown.

I'm stumped and a little bit freaked out that I broke something. HELP!

Edited by shawndoggy

WOOOT! Even though the lanyard is in place and looks fine, with some giggling it did cause the gauges to come on. Perfecto. Thanks. I'm a freaker.

I did something like that years ago with my I/O. Had the whole family loaded up for a late nite cruise (kids were pretty little then). Got 'em cozy in blankets, the youngest with a bottle, cranked down the lift, shoved off and no ignition. Crank, crank, crank, nothing. Foating further out. Jiggle stuff, nothing. I'm angry. So I have to jump in and swim the boat back to the dock (80 feet?), unload everyone, crank it back up on the lift. Soaking wet. I dry help get the kids in and change clothes. Come out and push hard on the lanyard, got power....so we had a nice boat ride the next morning.

In about 24 seconds I'd convinced myself that I'd fried my gauges hooking up the depth module. Whew! And as an aside, the module does work... I get the depth screen and the low depth warning and everything. Pretty sweet.

In about 24 seconds I'd convinced myself that I'd fried my gauges hooking up the depth module. Whew! And as an aside, the module does work... I get the depth screen and the low depth warning and everything. Pretty sweet.

Depth gauges are great, especially in unknown waters.