Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What size battery do I need?

I need to replace my stock batteries on my 08' 23 LSV. I am looking at Optima batteries, can anyone tell me what size/group I need? Can I just go with the biggest or could that ever be bad? Anyone like anything more then the Optima Blue Tops? Thanks so much for your help.

I need to replace my stock batteries on my 08' 23 LSV. I am looking at Optima batteries, can anyone tell me what size/group I need? Can I just go with the biggest or could that ever be bad? Anyone like anything more then the Optima Blue Tops? Thanks so much for your help.

Blue tops are not a good choice for a stereo bank. The ammount of amp hours you get vs the cost of the battery is very lopsided. Best thing to get for house bank/stereo is batteries with high amp hour ratings. Dual 6v golf cart batteries are a good choice, so are big wet cell batteries like Interstate group 29 batteries like the SRM-29. These batteries are nearly half the cost of the Optima blue tops and have 2-3 times the amp hour ratings. When running a larger stereo don't forget to address your reserve battery bank needs.

send a message to 06vlx he has covered this subject

upgrading to a larger size group 27 etc will gain you amp/hours only

means you can play your tunes longer with the motor off

personally I would get a new starting battery 24

and 2 6v wired in parallel for the stereo

ha ha o6 beat me to it

Wired in series though.

Wired in series though.

Correct you want it in Series not Parallel! Parallel will only give you 6 volts when you need 12 volts!

Just got done doing a weeks worth of battery shopping and have come to conclusion the dual 6 volts is the best performance and price! They just need to be maintained like any other battery. Check the water levels of batteries and keep them charged.

2 Suggestions on the 6 volts are the Interstate 6 volt. And Trojan makes good 6 volts. The interstate 6 volt is about $95.00 and the trojan is about $149.00. You can't go wrong with either or.

Correct you want it in Series not Parallel! Parallel will only give you 6 volts when you need 12 volts!

Just got done doing a weeks worth of battery shopping and have come to conclusion the dual 6 volts is the best performance and price! They just need to be maintained like any other battery. Check the water levels of batteries and keep them charged.

2 Suggestions on the 6 volts are the Interstate 6 volt. And Trojan makes good 6 volts. The interstate 6 volt is about $95.00 and the trojan is about $149.00. You can't go wrong with either or.

There are several sizes of 6 volt batteries. If you're going to do it get the big ones, dementionally they don't vary much in size but their capacities can vary. For instance Interstate (US battery) 6 volt batteries come in 232, 242, 251, 255 amp hour capacities. Might as well get the bigest ones possible.

Thanks everyone for the input! So the consensus is stay away from the Optimas, wire a couple of 6V in series, and then a 24 as a starting battery. So, these only come in wet cell that have to be maintained. I really just want my boat and stereo to work w/o thinking about it much---the least maint. or potential issues the better. However, if this would give me the most insurnace and be sure I am never stranded then it sounds good to me. Who can help me do the wiring (I know nothing), and how much might it cost? THanks so much for all of your help!

Thanks everyone for the input! So the consensus is stay away from the Optimas, wire a couple of 6V in series, and then a 24 as a starting battery. So, these only come in wet cell that have to be maintained. I really just want my boat and stereo to work w/o thinking about it much---the least maint. or potential issues the better. However, if this would give me the most insurnace and be sure I am never stranded then it sounds good to me. Who can help me do the wiring (I know nothing), and how much might it cost? THanks so much for all of your help!

One last question, on my 08' LSV does it come stock wired so that one battery is just for starting or do they both power the boat, stereo, etc? Also, to add an extra is it as easy as just running wires from one battery to the other to add another in series? THanks so much, love the hobby but am clearly a mechanical moron!!!!