Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I Be Concerned About This

These are impressions in the gelcoat on the transom caused from the black cushion strip on the rear deck lids. The really deep ones are pitted, not only does it look terrible, I am worried that if these gouges continue to get deeper the actual fiberglass matting will be exposed, soak in water, and lead to whole host of future problems. What do you guys think?

post-8316-127137861954_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127137866394_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127137871821_thumb.jpg

wow, i have a little hint of rubbing from that same strip in the same area, but it is nothing that deep!! I think i would repair that and add some protective rubber to the bottom of the deck lids to keep it from doing that again!!

I have some rubbing from the black tray that covers the engine but nothing like that. I was thinking about putting some type of protective film on it to protect it but I don't know what to use.

Yeah, it's pretty deep, and pitted which really bothers me. I've got literally 2 days left on my warranty and my dealer waited after hours for me to get a bunch of pics so he could send them Malibu. So I'll see what they have to say, just wanted to see what you guys thought and if I was just being ridiculous, apparently not.

• Like 1

I had some similar stuff going on in the trunk of my old lxi, you have some decent hours on your boat so that rubbing/chafing leads to that. I will say that is pretty bad, I'd see if you can put some of that clear 3M stuff they use on the hoods of cars to protect it.

-Chris

I had some similar stuff going on in the trunk of my old lxi, you have some decent hours on your boat so that rubbing/chafing leads to that. I will say that is pretty bad, I'd see if you can put some of that clear 3M stuff they use on the hoods of cars to protect it.

-Chris

About 390 hours. That's a good idea, hopefully Malibu will do something like that. There was a guy on here selling that stuff, I might have to look that up.

Edit-I guess I should ask, do you think this was caused by something I or the previous owner was doing wrong?

Edited by Ndawg12

-Chris

Nate, I actually do 3M clear bra installs on the side. I've got a TON of extra material if you want some to cover up those areas. I can even help you install it. Being that they're flat straight areas, it'll be easy.

Nate, I actually do 3M clear bra installs on the side. I've got a TON of extra material if you want some to cover up those areas. I can even help you install it. Being that they're flat straight areas, it'll be easy.

That's awesome Mike, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind and see what Malibu decides to do. If they just fix the gelcoat but don't take any preventative measures I'll take you up on that. :cheers:

Whether you can get that done under warranty or not, I'd patch it with gel coat. I think you could DIY for two reasons: One, you can sand, buff and polish gelcoat so you should be able to get the patch material flush and polished in. Two, since it is under the lid if the patch is not a 100% color match, you probably won't notice it too much if that did happen. Then add a new bump strip and cover with 3M.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a lot of rubbing going on. Rubber may hide the result but is there a more severe problem like flexing of boat parts to create this type of wear?

Do you think I could get some of that 3M material. My deck lid has rubbed through my blue gel coat to the white but hasn't gouged anything yet and I would like to prevent it. I could take some pics if it would help.

Thanks

Gary

Yeah, it's pretty deep, and pitted which really bothers me. I've got literally 2 days left on my warranty and my dealer waited after hours for me to get a bunch of pics so he could send them Malibu. So I'll see what they have to say, just wanted to see what you guys thought and if I was just being ridiculous, apparently not.

Two day left under warranty is still under warranty. If your getting the pics and details to the dealer after those two days just make sure you have something to prove you started this before the warranty expired.

We used to use 3M film between truck toppers and the truck beds. It doesn't last very long in that application. It is meant more for occasional use, like the vehicle front end protectant, where there is not constant rubbing going on. I would say in an application such as this, it would be worn through in a few weeks. I would look at thin white plastic strips like the stuff they make butcher blocks out of. It will last many times longer than the 3M film.

Hopefully Malibu doesn't consider this normal wear and tear and covers the repairs. But I would still take measures to prevent this from happening again, wether or not it gets fixed.

You need to tell those smokin hot girls to stop dancing on your sun pad. :whistle:

Ha!! My wife is hot but she doesn't dance so not sure what the issue is :biggrin:

Just found out that it will be covered :thumbup:

Hey Nate,

I may have some abraision tape that goes on the leading eadges of airplane wings and parts. It goes on like regular tape and when it wears out you just stick on another piece. Good stuff really and if I still have it the price will be right.

I will be in the CLT area early June.

Hey Nate,

I may have some abraision tape that goes on the leading eadges of airplane wings and parts. It goes on like regular tape and when it wears out you just stick on another piece. Good stuff really and if I still have it the price will be right.

I will be in the CLT area early June.

Thanks REW, I'll keep that in mind. I'm interested to see how they repair it and if they take any preventative measures.