Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure question

I have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter. Last summer the oil pressure gauge started fluxuating, but never lost pressure. I stopped the motor and restarted it. The pressure came up fine but I started getting a one second beep (like when you just put the key in the ignition). Would this be a oil pressure sensor issue? Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before taking it to the dealer.

Thanks

I have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter. Last summer the oil pressure gauge started fluxuating, but never lost pressure. I stopped the motor and restarted it. The pressure came up fine but I started getting a one second beep (like when you just put the key in the ignition). Would this be a oil pressure sensor issue? Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before taking it to the dealer.

Thanks

make sure the connections are good

Removing the (electrical) sender for the gauge from the engine and installing a direct reading pressure gauge (0-100 PSI) in its place will answer all your questions.

Replace the sender - at least then you'll know it's not that component. Reseat the connections, put some dielectric grease on them, clean everything up. Oil pressure isn't one of the things to guess at. You either have it or you don't.

The oil sender that controls the gauge are known to go out/flakey after about 5 years. If yours is still original, it's likely bad.

The switch that controls the buzzer is also know to occasionally have problems.

Both are typically just above the oil filter. Sender looks like a bell & switch is small/oblong. R020001.jpg

Switch is more like a barrel - R020015A.jpg

Both are easy to replace & don't cost too much.

I would be concerned that both the sender and switch went low at the same time - you had fluctuations & the buzzer.

Edit: Change image

Edited by wienrdog

I would be concerned that both the sender and switch went low at the same time - you had fluctuations & the buzzer.

Edit: Change image

That would have me concerned too which is why I would varify good pressure with a mechanical guage.

I had the same problem, gauge all over the place and warning beeper at idle. Replaced both sending unit, works perfectly now!