Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many hours is too many?

msuwaterski

As I am in full boat buying mode, I wanted to ask the crew your thoughts on how many hours are too many hours on a used BU? Certainly I know age comes into play. Right now I am very interested and talking with a guy about a 2001 SSLxi with 570 hours on it (link below). The boat has every option I want, but for some reason the hours are weighing on me. Please let me know what you think.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/1671126770.html

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Jeff

570/9=63.33 hrs per season. I'd say that's in the window of being properly used, not too many, not too less. I've got nearly 400 on an '06. I'm sure others will have many more than that. Just make sure it was 570 well maintained hrs!

As I am in full boat buying mode, I wanted to ask the crew your thoughts on how many hours are too many hours on a used BU? Certainly I know age comes into play. Right now I am very interested and talking with a guy about a 2001 SSLxi with 570 hours on it (link below). The boat has every option I want, but for some reason the hours are weighing on me. Please let me know what you think.

Jeff

A properly maintained boat/engine will give at least 2500 - 3000 hours of service without major overhaul or significant problems PROVIDED that proper (anal) maintainance has been performed. On that age boat I wouldn't consider that particularly heavy use at all and assuming correct and proper maintainance I wouldn't be bothered by those hours. My $0.02.

Ed

Slightly less hours than what I have on mine. I bought mine with about 460 3 years ago & wouldn't be too worried about the hours if the maintenance was done correctly. There are often fewer issues with one that was used & taken care of than one few hours that only got taken out a few times a year.

The boat has run great with typical age related & maintenance issues (hoses, plugs, tune-up items). No major issues at all.

I did notice that boat doesn't have Perfect Pass, but looks to be in decent condition.

Slightly less hours than what I have on mine. I bought mine with about 460 3 years ago & wouldn't be too worried about the hours if the maintenance was done correctly. There are often fewer issues with one that was used & taken care of than one few hours that only got taken out a few times a year.

The boat has run great with typical age related & maintenance issues (hoses, plugs, tune-up items). No major issues at all.

I did notice that boat doesn't have Perfect Pass, but looks to be in decent condition.

Thanks! The boat does not have perfect pass unfortunately, but that is not a deal breaker.

when you look at the boat take a look at the guys garage and other vehicles. If everything is clean and neat then he probably took care of his boat too. I love my 2001 sunsetter.

If the boat has been taken care of I don't know if hours would be a huge thing. For that year boat Its not a big deal.

If a boat had a very large amount of hours and was newer I may want to know more of its history.

A older boat with very low hours if not taken care of may be a grater concern. (JMHO)

If the boat has been taken care of I don't know if hours would be a huge thing. For that year boat Its not a big deal.

If a boat had a very large amount of hours and was newer I may want to know more of its history.

A older boat with very low hours if not taken care of may be a grater concern. (JMHO)

:plus1:

2 things that make this boat a plus for me is that it is a one owner and his price is just on the high side for year/hours/options.

I would ask in passing what kind of cleaners he has used on the interior and closely inspect the seams of the upholstery.

when i sold my '01 sunsetter vlx it had over 800 hours on it, you would never know it though, ran great, looked great.

Edited by Cervelo

If you are content with the hours issue on this boat, another important inspection on this boat is the hydro box. An inspection by a trusted dealer would be great.

A properly maintained boat/engine will give at least 2500 - 3000 hours of service without major overhaul or significant problems PROVIDED that proper (anal) maintainance has been performed.

Ed

:plus1:

I know of several Log Salvage workboats around here with the same engines and drivetrains as most of our boats. They are pushing upwards of 10,000 hours or more still pulling strong. They are abused, worked hard and under load all the time and are definitely not maintained even close to as well as we look after our shiny ski boats. 500hrs is nothing, just barely broken in.

That's a nice looking boat there, Happy shopping!

Edited by Wakeboarddude

Hey man that boat is new.

I sold my 2009 VLX with 460 hours in8 months of use.

Now my 2010 VLX has tree months and 237 hours.

I m the dealer in Argentina and im offering that boat at the same price as a new one.

Dont hesitate.

If the price is correct go ahead.

I ll be a bit worried with more than 1500/2000 hours

If you are content with the hours issue on this boat, another important inspection on this boat is the hydro box. An inspection by a trusted dealer would be great.

Might be a stupid question, but what is a Hydro box? Is that just a different way of wording stuffing box??

The hydro box(hydroponic dampening system) or HDS is just to the rear of the stuffing box. The hydro box can be the "achilles heel" of these boats if they start to leak and is a bit pricey to repair.

Jeff

I'd be more worried buying a boat of that age with 100 hours than 600. I never saw the boats of the guys who put 100-200 hours a season on their rigs at the shop for repairs, more often its the boat that is hardly used that has more repair issues.

-Chris

agreed, the worst thing you can do to a boat is not use it. My 1970 Winner has 3750+ hours on it and still going strong. When people ask how I keep it running so good, I just tell them that I use it.

Jeff

100 hrs on a boat is equivelent to about 8000 car miles ,would you hesitate to buy a 50,000 mile well maintained car.

The stress on these marinized engines propelling a boat is comparable to driving a truck uphill so 100 hours on a boat engine equals approximately 8000 to 10,000 miles on a vehicle,

I was told once if you compare to a car then about 50hrs would be 5,000kms. First oil change on a new boat, 50hrs.... Oil change on a car, 5,000kms.

100hrs = 8000miles. Same thing....

Made sense to me.

A properly maintained boat/engine will give at least 2500 - 3000 hours of service without major overhaul or significant problems PROVIDED that proper (anal) maintainance has been performed. On that age boat I wouldn't consider that particularly heavy use at all and assuming correct and proper maintainance I wouldn't be bothered by those hours. My $0.02.

Ed

Ed- Please tell me more about this anal maintenance you speak of.