Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable Replacement

I am working on replacing the steering cable in my parent's 1999 Response LX. Printed out the how-to article that I found here and grabbed the wrenches. I can't get the big nut off that holds the cable. The whole thing keeps turning, and this is the part that everyone says not to touch! I tried putting a vise grips on the backside, but still kepps turning and I didn't want to screw anything up. Any suggestions?

Scott

You want the nut that is verticle all the way back. It should all slide through the one your turning. I just went through the same thing with my sunsetter. I am assuming our boats are similar.

I have the rudder disconnected for the steering cable, that was a PITA but I got it apart. The nut that I am having problems with is the one that is connected to the steering cable and attaches to the stay that is used for adjustment. The whole thing turns, cable and the threaded ajustment. Talked to some guys at work and they suggested maybe putting a little heat on the nut to see if it will break free.