Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP PLEASE ASAP!!!

So started the de- winterizing today, no mold, boat was still spotless, bone dry started up first turn of the key..... great!!! engine was running fine, checked for any leaks, none, perfect! 5 mintues of running the motor later I see a decent amount of water coming down the side of the engine..... oh Sh*T my worst nightmare..... then I hear something drop its this almost disk like plug, some call it a frost plug?? now it wasnt cold enough to freeze over the winter so what could cause this plug to come out and how do I put it back in? theres barely enough space to push it back in! I have a 08 383HH. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated!

Sometimes they fall out, hopefully it was not pressed out by freezing water. Go to NAPA and they should have some freeze plugs that have a rubber seal that you can tighten with a wrench. Much easier to put in than the standard type using a socket and hammer in a tight spot. I would check the oil level for it being extra high or looking like chocolate milk. Good luck.

thanks for the replys, the oil looked normal, no milky color. I have maybe a 1/4" of space to push it in. How do the ones with a rubber seal tighten up? I didnt feel any threads in the hole. If it was pushed out by froozen water else should I look for or keep an eye out for?

thanks for the replys, the oil looked normal, no milky color. I have maybe a 1/4" of space to push it in. How do the ones with a rubber seal tighten up? I didnt feel any threads in the hole. If it was pushed out by froozen water else should I look for or keep an eye out for?

A cracked engine block and water coming out of the engine itself.

The rubber ones have a bolt in the middle of them, when you tighten the bolt the rubber expands in the hole. I have never used one for a permanent fix,(and do not recommend it) only to get by untill i can get the correct core plug in place. This is on an 08 boat? I would talk to the dealer about them taking care of it first!

Edited by txwakejunkie

I would get with your dealer and have it done right. Esp on a boat and motor that new, I would not want to be liable for that replacement plug failing and the cracking the block from it overheating. If the freeze plug fails the engine will drain water very quickly and damage can be catastrophic from the heat build up.

I had one fail on my last dodge truck. Now I live in texas and this happened in the summer time, so you jsut never know. But it had over 200K miles on it Luckily the plug did not come out completely and destroy the engine. I noticed at home in the garage, towed it to the dealer, had me out in an hour and half, no harm done.

Edited by Ramman17

So going to take it in this weekend. Still worried even though no water was leaking for the first bit of the engine running. Dealership wont take care of it for me, because I didnt purchase the boat from this malibu dealer(purchased from the states) they will charge me $100 just to bring it in then they said probably another 3-400. So taking it in to a local boat mechanic. How much do you think putting in a new plug would cost?

So going to take it in this weekend. Still worried even though no water was leaking for the first bit of the engine running. Dealership wont take care of it for me, because I didnt purchase the boat from this malibu dealer(purchased from the states) they will charge me $100 just to bring it in then they said probably another 3-400. So taking it in to a local boat mechanic. How much do you think putting in a new plug would cost?

I would give Indmar and Malibu a call and ask why your 2008 boat under warranty won't be serviced by your local dealer.

Also if its an engine issue, any Indmar dealer (mastercraft dealer, supra, etc) can do warrenty work.

-Chris

I would give Indmar and Malibu a call and ask why your 2008 boat under warranty won't be serviced by your local dealer.

Also if its an engine issue, any Indmar dealer (mastercraft dealer, supra, etc) can do warrenty work.

-Chris

They will service it but because it wasnt purchased at their dealership they charge you just to bring it in to them. I posted a topic about this and apparently a lot of malibu dealerships do this

They will service it but because it wasnt purchased at their dealership they charge you just to bring it in to them. I posted a topic about this and apparently a lot of malibu dealerships do this

Call a Malibu factory/home office and ask them. Somebody on this site will have a number to try.