Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfing vs.fuel

philly

Out of curiosity the dealer told me about 3 gallons per hour surfing and 5 gallons per hour wakeboarding. I have a 2008 247 lsv with a 383 hammer head. Brand new 30 hours on it. My question is what are other people consuming for fuel? And I will proably always have a full boat. Would like to hear other owners thoughts on fuel consumption, is the dealer telling me the truth? Thanks

I run an 07 HH and surf. The question what kind of wave do you want? bigger wave = more gas. I want a tall wave with a long pocket. In order to get this you are going to need a lot of weight. I average 5 GPH running the Acme 1273 prop at 11.8 MPH and 2800 RPM. Now the weight I run all of the stock MLS except the non surf side rear so 3 tanks. a 750 in the trunk, with 400# of lead along the corner under the bag. A 500 in the bow along the surf side rail. 200 # lead under the surf side corner cushion. 400# of lead along the side of the boat under the cushion. It takes the weight well. The rub rail is just under the water. I just switched from a 800 # sac on the seat to the lead because no one liked setting on the bag.

Here is a photo of the wave

690027.jpg

I run an 07 HH and surf. The question what kind of wave do you want? bigger wave = more gas. I want a tall wave with a long pocket. In order to get this you are going to need a lot of weight. I average 5 GPH running the Acme 1273 prop at 11.8 MPH and 2800 RPM. Now the weight I run all of the stock MLS except the non surf side rear so 3 tanks. a 750 in the trunk, with 400# of lead along the corner under the bag. A 500 in the bow along the surf side rail. 200 # lead under the surf side corner cushion. 400# of lead along the side of the boat under the cushion. It takes the weight well. The rub rail is just under the water. I just switched from a 800 # sac on the seat to the lead because no one liked setting on the bag.

Here is a photo of the wave

690027.jpg

I should not have looked at this, I was out last night surfing and all pumped over the wake I had.........after seeing this I shall retreat to the garage and work on things.....

This is huge man

I do not have the HH i have the 340 monsoon but we get about the same surfing as we do wakeboarding. we averaged 5gal last year with 1550# on top of 1000# factory and use the wedge, 10.5-12mph depending on who is surfing. all factory ballast and the wedge wakeboarding 20-24mph depending on who is riding. We have the oj475 prop.

Out of curiosity the dealer told me about 3 gallons per hour surfing and 5 gallons per hour wakeboarding. I have a 2008 247 lsv with a 383 hammer head. Brand new 30 hours on it. My question is what are other people consuming for fuel? And I will proably always have a full boat. Would like to hear other owners thoughts on fuel consumption, is the dealer telling me the truth? Thanks

I'd say you'd be better off assuming 4-6 gph depending on how you have your boat weighted, and driving habits. 3 is a pretty low guess.

Edited by 06vlx