Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cover Options

Catch

Hey Gang,

Just finalizing a deal on a new VLX. Looking for some comments regarding choice of storage covers.

My 2 previous Malibus both had the snap-on Sunbrella covers i.e. bow and main cabin. Dealer is now suggesting I take a full cover for boat that tightens with a couple of straps on the transom.

I have the choice which one to take, anyone have any ideas on pros and cons? I like the idea of having no snaps drilled into the boat, but not sure if it is as good a product. Heard that the 1 piece cover can be difficult to put on when windy. Not doing much trailering, boat is usually tied up to the dock...

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• Bill_AirJunky

• Catch

• Ndawg12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Gang,

Just finalizing a deal on a new VLX. Looking for some comments regarding choice of storage covers.

My 2 previous Malibus both had the snap-on Sunbrella covers i.e. bow and main cabin. Dealer is now suggesting I take a full cover for boat that tightens with a couple of straps on the transom.

I have the choice which one to take, anyone have any ideas on pros and cons? I like the idea of having no snaps drilled into the boat, but not sure if it is as good a product. Heard that the 1 piece cover can be difficult to put on when windy. Not doing much trailering, boat is usually tied up to the dock...

Thanks!

Personally, i do not like how snaps look on a malibu, but maybe for your situation that is the best way to go. I too mostly tie my boat up to a dock and have not had any trouble putting my cover on. roll it back from the nose, over the glass, do up the snaps at the tower, roll it to the back, stand on the swim deck and cinch it down.

check the look of the evolution cover from this other thread:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25570-boat-covers/page__hl__evolution

newcoverandspeakers001-1.jpg

newcoverandspeakers008.jpg

newcoverandspeakers007.jpg

newcoverandspeakers009.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Wow, thanks for the info guys. Cervelo, great pics! Is that an Evolution cover or the standard CS cover from Malibu? I guess from the looks of things too that the CS covers are lighter and are probably somewhat easier to manage. No problems with water protection with them? Do you know if they last as long as the Sunbrella stuff?

Wow, thanks for the info guys. Cervelo, great pics! Is that an Evolution cover or the standard CS cover from Malibu? I guess from the looks of things too that the CS covers are lighter and are probably somewhat easier to manage. No problems with water protection with them? Do you know if they last as long as the Sunbrella stuff?

those pictures are of the evolution cover, the evolution cover is made of sunbrella. If you go snaps, that is one thing. if you go full cover, do not get the cs cover, get the evolution. lighter is not enough to notice.

That is coming from a guy who will be trying to sell his '08 cs cover.

The Evolution will roll up like Cervelo explained into a ball that is about the size of a large duffel bag. I can cram it into the space under the bow center cushion. Weight is not an issue at all. The fact that it will keep the bugs out of your boat, is trailerable, and doesn't let rain water pool up on it...... their way nicer than any snap on cover I've seen.

Hmmm... I guess now the question is how to convince my dealer to give me an Evolution cover vs. the CS cover that comes with the boat. Out of curiosity, what is it about the CS covers that you guys don't like? Is it a question of quality, fit, finish?

If you’re tying up on the dock how much of a pain will it be to get the cover on and tied down at the transom. You would be unrolling it while in the boat and then standing on the swim step to cinch it down. My not be too bad. Just something to think about.

Hmmm... I guess now the question is how to convince my dealer to give me an Evolution cover vs. the CS cover that comes with the boat. Out of curiosity, what is it about the CS covers that you guys don't like? Is it a question of quality, fit, finish?

fyi, you are not getting the cs cover for free, just upgrade to the evolution.

the cs cover does not fit as well, it will flap somewhat in the wind. water will pool, water will get into the boat around the tower. has no padding to protect the gel coat or tower. does not look as good.

See if your dealer will give you a credit on not purchasing a cover. I don't know that your dealer will work with Evolution, and if they do, then you'll have to pay the "middle man". Just call Cory at Evolution, tell him TMC sent you :whistle: , and let him know when you expect delivery. Not sure what his lead time is but he should be able to work with you on it.

post-8316-127121572172_thumb.jpg

See if your dealer will give you a credit on not purchasing a cover. I don't know that your dealer will work with Evolution, and if they do, then you'll have to pay the "middle man". Just call Cory at Evolution, tell him TMC sent you :whistle: , and let him know when you expect delivery. Not sure what his lead time is but he should be able to work with you on it.

Cover looks good, nice and tight.

Tell the dealer you don't want the cover, you should get a $1k credit back or refund. Call up cory and buy a cover from him for less than that. Better quality, fit, and finish IMO. Sure as hell better customer service.

fyi, you are not getting the cs cover for free, just upgrade to the evolution.

the cs cover does not fit as well, it will flap somewhat in the wind. water will pool, water will get into the boat around the tower. has no padding to protect the gel coat or tower. does not look as good.

Just a clarrification the Evolution covers will leak around the tower legs on the Illusion towers just like any other cover will. There is really no fix for that other than putting shrink wrap around the base of the tower where the cover wraps around the tower. Every cover made will leak there.

Just a clarrification the Evolution covers will leak around the tower legs on the Illusion towers just like any other cover will. There is really no fix for that other than putting shrink wrap around the base of the tower where the cover wraps around the tower. Every cover made will leak there.

I always wondered what others with Evo's thought about that. Of course I have a Titan tower but I have never seen water in the boat around the legs (or any where). I know water has to enter the tower leg holes but it's almost like it is channeled outside some how, :crazy: but good!!

I always wondered what others with Evo's thought about that. Of course I have a Titan tower but I have never seen water in the boat around the legs (or any where). I know water has to enter the tower leg holes but it's almost like it is channeled outside some how, :crazy: but good!!

I've only seen water in the cupholders and assumed it got inbetween the cover and the tower leg. The only other place it could have possibly come from was the tower speaker mounts and I'm thinking that's less likely. Anyways it wasn't alot of water but If I was going to keep my boat outside for any lenght of time I'd be shrink wrapping that area around the tower legs (at least on the Illusion and I'm sure the G3 will be the same) regardless of what cover I had.

If you’re tying up on the dock how much of a pain will it be to get the cover on and tied down at the transom. You would be unrolling it while in the boat and then standing on the swim step to cinch it down. My not be too bad. Just something to think about.

We back into our slips so the swimstep is a short hop from the dock. The boats are suspended in their slips so they can't hit the dock anywhere.

My cover is 5 yrs old (Rankin), never been scrubbed clean, only hosed off & is still waterproof. Water barely trickles in around the tower legs.

My neighbors is almost a year old & every bit the same. It'll give him years of great service.

covers.jpg

This is last week. As you can see the hooks on the side aren't hooked on the rubrail. It still fits like a glove.

IMG_2020Large.jpg

Well, based on everyone's comments, snap-in is out. Thank to all of you for input, well appreciated. I will be giving my dealer a call to make the switch to Evolution, and if he can't do it, as suggested I'll get the credit and purchase and Evo cover. Thanks again, goes to show you the value that a forum like this has.

I didn't know you towed with an Avalanche Bill.

Changes everything, huh. :crazy:

Great truck. We call it the Transformer. Goes from being an open bed dog hauler to dinner for six in a matter of minutes. Tows everything I've hooked to it easily. Thinking about a surfboard rack on it in the near future (board is 12' long, so a support at the back of the bed & Yakima / Thule bar over the back of the cab).

I just referred another customer Cory's way at our HOA meeting last night (AKA; "the party"). Early 90s MC 205 on it's original cover. He's tired of it always pooling up in the slip & has seen our two. I suspect he'll be calling Cory soon enough.

Okay guys not plugging CS’s cover but I’ve got cleat cutouts all the way around so when my cover is on and I tie it up to the HB or dock it’s real easy to attach the ropes. I’m sure Cory will add them and has done some great mods people have asked for. Certainly can't go wrong w/ Evolution and the customer service is unmatched.

Okay guys not plugging CS’s cover but I’ve got cleat cutouts all the way around so when my cover is on and I tie it up to the HB or dock it’s real easy to attach the ropes. I’m sure Cory will add them and has done some great mods people have asked for. Certainly can't go wrong w/ Evolution and the customer service is unmatched.

Yea, he added gas cap flaps on my neighbors cover. :rockon: