Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ Fusion prop

Bawshogg

Anyone have any expierience with this one? In the market for a new prop. Talked to Eric at OJ and was recommended "THE FUSION" for my application. Anyone have one, or know someone with one. Suposidly performs as good if not better than the 475, and it's cheaper! That one had me scratchin my head for a bit. It never works that way. When asking the difference I was told it is hand finished, and not cnc'd. Really don't know much about that,and sometimes when things sound to good to be true, they are. I am really intersted in this one now, just wanna hear from someone with a bit of hands on expierience with it.

No experience w/ the "fusion" but I know for a fact the 475 works reall well and the 468 even better unless you cruise. Eric knows his stuff and if you buy a prop and don't like you can exchange it for another, provided it's not damaged of course.

The 14.25 X 14.5 LC FUSION 4-blade is created from a CNC machined Master Pattern. The casting produced from this pattern is very close to a "net part", meaning there is very little clean up to be done to "finish" the part. The finish is done by hand as opposed to being machined in the mill. Very little material is removed in this process resulting in a very accurate FUSION part. The CNC machined 475, 468 are also created from a machined Master Pattern however the casting created is much thicker to allow for the machining. The difference in the cost of the parts is mostly found in the castings. A lighter casting costs less to produce. The finished products do not differ in performance as the FUSION is just a "copy" of the finished 475.

Thanks for the info Eric. And thanks for helping me out several times regarding different props for my Echelon. You've always been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I just received my new prop yesterday; looking forward to trying it out.

-G

Thanks for the info Eric. And thanks for helping me out several times regarding different props for my Echelon. You've always been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I just received my new prop yesterday; looking forward to trying it out.

-G

Which prop did decide on? I'd suggest getting a prop puller kit, great way to have all the parts needed to change props and keep it protected.

Recieved my prop 1.5 weeks ago at work (Midland-Texas) Haven't got home to put it on yet but it looks awesome and I'm super impressed with the hard cased puller kit!

I'm hoping to be doing some real water testing with the Fusion soon and will give a full head to head comparison between the 475 and Fusion (sorry forgot the number). :yahoo:

I know from dealing with OJ and Eric over the years, Eric would never allow or produce a "to good to be true" product. OJ has always produced quality and stands behind every thing they make.

Keep up the great work Eric and Team OJ :clap: .

Anyone have any expierience with this one? In the market for a new prop. Talked to Eric at OJ and was recommended "THE FUSION" for my application. Anyone have one, or know someone with one. Suposidly performs as good if not better than the 475, and it's cheaper! That one had me scratchin my head for a bit. It never works that way. When asking the difference I was told it is hand finished, and not cnc'd. Really don't know much about that,and sometimes when things sound to good to be true, they are. I am really intersted in this one now, just wanna hear from someone with a bit of hands on expierience with it.

I too talked with Eric about this prop ( Very nice person to talk too! ) We have the Acme 537 now and he thinks we will loose very little top end if any, while gaining bottom end pull. And I too thought the same thing, this sounds too good to be true. I have seen a few OJ props and they seem to be a bit beefier looking then the 537 I have, so think I am going to give it a try. I really want one of those hard cases too, they look very handy to have.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to be doing some real water testing with the Fusion soon and will give a full head to head comparison between the 475 and Fusion (sorry forgot the number). :yahoo:

I know from dealing with OJ and Eric over the years, Eric would never allow or produce a "to good to be true" product. OJ has always produced quality and stands behind every thing they make.

Keep up the great work Eric and Team OJ :clap: .

You have a chance to try this prop out yet?

I too am considering the Fusion. From my understanding it is the exact same as the cnc'd just hand finished. Anyone who uses it please post for those of us who are considering it. Thanks

I just ordered this prop today. Hoping to have it by the weekend, since it's being drop-shipped out of Tn. If I do get it, I'll report back on it vs. the prop currently on my boat.

Which is a 381? It reads 13.5 x 17.5 V L

I just ordered this prop today. Hoping to have it by the weekend, since it's being drop-shipped out of Tn. If I do get it, I'll report back on it vs. the prop currently on my boat.

Which is a 381? It reads 13.5 x 17.5 V L

What do you mean if you do get it?

That won't even be a fair comparison, it will eat your current prop's lunch.

Eric at Oj is pretty confident that this one performs just as good, if not better than the 475. He assured me I won't be disappointed. I am sure it can't be any worse than what I have in the 537.

Eric at Oj is pretty confident that this one performs just as good, if not better than the 475. He assured me I won't be disappointed. I am sure it can't be any worse than what I have in the 537.

I think your boat will be quite the stump puller when you throw that prop on there. Big difference in hole shot.

That's what I am looking for. I have gotten to where I am running so much wieght for surfing that I can't go faster than 9-10mph with only 3 of us in the boat. WOT and 9mph top speed???? :crazy: . I need a little more speed to lengthen the waves pocket. Mind you this is all from last year's data. I hate the weather in this god forsaken place we live. I am offically going nuts with this week, rain all week! :lame: . Last year I was in Texas at this time, surfin, came back mid May and never stopped. Don't think we are quite there yet!

That's what I am looking for. I have gotten to where I am running so much wieght for surfing that I can't go faster than 9-10mph with only 3 of us in the boat. WOT and 9mph top speed???? :crazy: . I need a little more speed to lengthen the waves pocket. Mind you this is all from last year's data. I hate the weather in this god forsaken place we live. I am offically going nuts with this week, rain all week! :lame: . Last year I was in Texas at this time, surfin, came back mid May and never stopped. Don't think we are quite there yet!

I've been out twice this year so far. But it's been a while and I'm getting a bit of cabin fever.

I've been out twice this year so far. But it's been a while and I'm getting a bit of cabin fever.

I love this site, but REALLY! I can't wait untill I don't have time to be on the damn computer cause I'm at the river after work. I wanna go do this crap instead of type about it.

What do you mean if you do get it?

That won't even be a fair comparison, it will eat your current prop's lunch.

I meant if I get it before the weekend... Of course, I'll get it eventually.

Is my current prop that crappy? It seemed to do fine until we had 10 people on the boat and full ballast + Wedge. With all that weight, it couldn't get on plane unless we put 8 people in the bow....lol

Update:

So, I did get the prop on Friday (thanks Eric!)

Initial impressions -

From the drivers perspective: Hole shot is greatly improved.

At half throttle (for gradual starts), with full ballast and 5-6 people, the boat can actually get on plane.

Full throttle, boat gets on plane MUCH faster and pulls harder than before.

Top end speed down to about 40 mph...but doesn't matter to me at all. Just thought I'd mention it.

From the riders perspective -

Boat pulls MUCH harder. To the point, I had to adjust my start to compensate. The first couple times, I actually face-planted.

Overall, it's exactly what I was looking for. I was having issues getting on plane with a boat load of people and full ballasts. Although, I didn't have enough people to test a 'full' boatload (pun intended) of people. But, given the performance from the weekend, I don't see why I won't meet that requirement.

So anyone running the Fusion line, can you please state which model you're running, what the pitch is, and what kind of RPM you're turning unloaded at cruising speed (around 30 MPH)?

We do a lot of slalom at 34 and 36 MPH and our Acme 537 is just about 1:1 (3650 RPM for 36 MPH). Wouldn't mind a bit better holeshot and less lugging while surfing though.