Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges only shake at startup

RanchDweller

All of my gauges were working the other day. Now they only shake at startup and do not work. They do not zero out, only shake. Any ideas? I am not sure where the MDC is to check to make sure there are not any loose connections. I am guessing everything is connected if they shake at startup? 2002 Sportster. Thanks for any Ideas.

Also, how can you check to see if the gauges are working out of the water if you can not turn on the engine? Thanks

Edited by RanchDweller

You're in luck, I took a piture of mine today! I have a very similar problem, here's my old post: My orignial post

IMG_6464.jpg

I just bought a product online to try to fix it. Here's the link to what I got, I haven't found anyone else with one, so I've been taking pics to show how it works. Nautic Laugic

Just realized looking at this larger pic, that you can see the calcium on my MDC where the water went up the line and messed up the MDC (calcium on the side labeled "primary"). Good luck.

The gauges shaking at startup typically indicate that the MDC is alive & initializing.

I've also had some success with gauges not initializing by removing the lanyard & replacing it. This seems to cut power to the mdc in a different way than just turning off the key. (The gauges don't shake at key-on).

You could also have an/the corrosion issue with the cabling/harness connection to the engine - typically called the 'Canon Plug'. This plug connects all sensors from the engine to the MDC.

The Canon plug is connected on the rear starboard side of the engine (above the transmission). It is a large (about 1.25") plug with a hose clamp around it.

I was having intermittent problems with my gauges & wiggling/moving addressed the problem. Others have made an index mark (it will go back together in more than one orientation), unhooked it, cleaned it out a little & reconnected.

Good luck.

How will I check to see if the gauges are working in the garage. I can't start the motor out of the water to see if anything is registering. Tonight I will find the MDC and check the tubes. All gauges shake at startup so I need to know how to check the gauges as I am checking connections. Any ideas? Thanks.

How will I check to see if the gauges are working in the garage. I can't start the motor out of the water to see if anything is registering. Tonight I will find the MDC and check the tubes. All gauges shake at startup so I need to know how to check the gauges as I am checking connections. Any ideas? Thanks.

pull it out of the garage, hook up the fake a lake and start it.......

You're in luck, I took a piture of mine today! I have a very similar problem, here's my old post: My orignial post

I just bought a product online to try to fix it. Here's the link to what I got, I haven't found anyone else with one, so I've been taking pics to show how it works. Nautic Laugic

Hybrid,

I'd be very interested to hear how that NL worked out for you.

Which set up/model did you get? The econ. set-up?

Pistol

I ordered it with the duel gauge setup (both will show the same speed, but neither work currently with my stock setup), and after talking a length with Cary (the developer) I ordered the Garmin (5hz unit). At the last minute, he agreed to let me also try out the globalsat (lowest price unit) as long as I provided him with my comparison of the two so that he could assist others in the decision (I paid for it, and plan to return one).

So far, I have to say this thing seems amazing. I had it hooked up in 5 minutes (took longer to find the right sized alien wrenches to get the dash panel off), and started the calibration and right off the bat both of my gauges were running! I have to tell you that after having dead speedos, I was stoked to see them move! I've got it all hooked up and tried to get to the lake today, but of course got stuck at work.

Here's a video I took durring calibration, you can see the jumper wire (used for adjustments in the upper left corner of the screen)

th_MVI_6471.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack. I'll do a real write up when I have it all in.

Also, how can you check to see if the gauges are working out of the water if you can not turn on the engine?

Hey Ranch,

Without starting the boat, you can still turn the key on and get a fuel reading and voltage. If you're not getting those now, probaby a fair bet that whatever you've tried so far has not changed anything.

Additionally, I was told that you could use an air compressor to blow air in the area of the tube connections on the MDC (with the key on) and that should allow you to get speedo movement. You can see the connections in my pic above. Can anyone verify this? I tried it when I was trouble shooting, but had no movement.

Additionally, I was told that you could use an air compressor to blow air in the area of the tube connections on the MDC (with the key on) and that should allow you to get speedo movement. You can see the connections in my pic above. Can anyone verify this? I tried it when I was trouble shooting, but had no movement.

I'd be really hesitant to blow air up those lines. I understand that the way they work is probably just air pressure pushing on a diaphram but, if you slip with the air pressure, you could rupture the diaphrams I suppose. Anybody know what sort of pressure those pitots produce?