Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 VTX questions

CJAY

So we picked up an 07 VTX with the monsoon and diamond cut hull over the winter. We've had it out the last couple weekends and I have a few questions.

1. We seem to porpus when the power wedge is at full wake. Any fix for this? I was thinking of putting 400lbs in the bow.

2. What speed and rope length do people typically ride on this boat? I'm riding 23 at 70' and it feels like I'm just behind the wash and the wake seems better about 5' back. Going to buy a new rope, but would slowing down help? I weigh 225 and on the 24v tige I used to ride behind I rode at 70's 25lbs and it was perfect.

3. It's a dog with the ballast full and the wedge set to full wake... I think I may need to get an acme prop, but it does have the high altitude prop

I have an 07 VTX (wake hull though).I dont seem to have the porpus issue. Although any boat will porpus if incorrectly weighted. Much of the other malibu owners will agree keeping your weight distribution at a 60/40 ratio from 60 in the back and 40 in the front, will keep your wake correctly shaped. Also with stock ballast at full and wedge down, I have people in my boat ski anywhere from 65' to 75' with a MPH range of 18-22mph depending on their skill level without any issues. It really is a trial and error situation trying to dial in your boat for the most optimal wake performance.

I didnt have issues with the stock prop, but i have since upgraded to the acme wakeboard prop. which i have noticed a significant amount of power out of the hole now. A new prop is definitely worth the investment and you will have a spare prop on the side which i would recommend to anyone.

A Wake prop is a definite nice addition.

I have an 08 Wake hull.

I run full factory (L,R,C,F) Then I add a 450 in each locker and a 300 in the bow. We typically don't run the wedge but, we do we run it almost all the way down. If you start to raise it too much the wake gets kinda funky.

So we picked up an 07 VTX with the monsoon and diamond cut hull over the winter. We've had it out the last couple weekends and I have a few questions.

1. We seem to porpus when the power wedge is at full wake. Any fix for this? I was thinking of putting 400lbs in the bow.

2. What speed and rope length do people typically ride on this boat? I'm riding 23 at 70' and it feels like I'm just behind the wash and the wake seems better about 5' back. Going to buy a new rope, but would slowing down help? I weigh 225 and on the 24v tige I used to ride behind I rode at 70's 25lbs and it was perfect.

3. It's a dog with the ballast full and the wedge set to full wake... I think I may need to get an acme prop, but it does have the high altitude prop

I'd suggest taking a look at OJ props as well. I use the OJ 468 and the whole shot is sweet loaded up w/ ballast and 11 people.

You need to calibrate the power wedge any time that the battery has been disconnected (or switched off). The instructions are posted around here somewhere (search) and in your owners manual. After that, if you still get porpoising, then make slight adjustments to the wedge position, and as you mentioned additional weight in the bow will help.

I agree with the wedge calibration issue. One other point is that you have to remember the wedge is adding approx. 1200 lbs of extra ballast, as well as drag add the max position. I always try to put the wedge all the way down at holeshot and adjust to the desired position once we are getting up to speed. There is a huge difference on the feel with the wedge all the way down. As far as the porpoising goes...I have never had a problem. I also run the ACME 1235 prop.

Congrats with the new boat though!

Trent

Edited by Malibuzer

Thank you guys for the help. I'm pretty sure my wedge is calibrated, i's like to make sure, but couldn't find any threads with the instructions, just people talking about it.

Thank you guys for the help. I'm pretty sure my wedge is calibrated, i's like to make sure, but couldn't find any threads with the instructions, just people talking about it.

It is in the SETUP selection on Malivue. Keep poking around until you find it. Then you calibrate the two stops by raising and lowering the wedge, so you pretty much need to do it when you are on the water.

It is in the SETUP selection on Malivue. Keep poking around until you find it. Then you calibrate the two stops by raising and lowering the wedge, so you pretty much need to do it when you are on the water.

Thank you very much again.

One last question, I got under the boat last night and it looks like I have the 537 prop, should I upgrade it?

I would change the prop out if you normally load up the boat, surf, have a large crew and want to get on plane quickly. If you don't cruise much or travel far to a ride location I like the OJ 468 otherwise the OJ475 does great and keeps the RPM's down for cruising. The 468 will rip your hands off w/ the low end grunt. The RPM's w/ this prop are about ~1,200RPMs higher than the speed, so 30mph is roughly 4,200RPM's. I don't care so much about speed rather the consistent pull, rapidly on plane and the ability to hold speeds for surfing and boarding. I have the 537 for a backup only.

I would change the prop out if you normally load up the boat, surf, have a large crew and want to get on plane quickly. If you don't cruise much or travel far to a ride location I like the OJ 468 otherwise the OJ475 does great and keeps the RPM's down for cruising. The 468 will rip your hands off w/ the low end grunt. The RPM's w/ this prop are about ~1,200RPMs higher than the speed, so 30mph is roughly 4,200RPM's. I don't care so much about speed rather the consistent pull, rapidly on plane and the ability to hold speeds for surfing and boarding. I have the 537 for a backup only.

:plus1:

I am running the 537 right now due to a minor mishap :Doh: and it is not a bad all around prop. Works great for wakeboarding and waterskiing. Like Mdude is saying if your are going to be running really loaded, you may want to re-prop.

If you want to run an ACME go with the 1235 that Trent suggested. This prop is refered to as a "High Altitude Prop". You will have no issues with getting up with this prop however you will run high RPM's and will loose some top end speed. I beleive at 31mph you will be over 4000 rpm's. For the wedge again do as Trent suggested and keep it all the way down (25%?) then as you hit speed gradually increase it to max. I wouldnt suggest going more than 88%. If you have front ballast it will help with the issue you are having. As for speed I prefer 65-70ft at 21.3mph with full ballast and wedge at 88%. I dont think you will notice any difference between the wake and diamond hull.

Not sure, but no Malivue in 07? :unsure:

Not sure, but no Malivue in 07? :unsure:

ha ha, sorry, brain fart. What ever the LCD screen is called. (Malivue Kindle version, all greyscale, text only!)