Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

power wedge blow breaker

TNWakesetterLSV

I have an 06 wakesetter lsv and when I hit the switch to deploy the wedge it will drop to half way then the breaker will blow sending the wedge back up. This happened all day... 1st time I had the boat on the water any ideas?

Edited by TNWakesetterLSV

I have the same boat. I have had issues non stop with our wedge. I think 06 was the first year they really did the power wedge and there are some bugs with that year. The issue you are experiencing is something I have had issues with as well. Before we had experience with how to live with the problems it ruined more than once day on the lake for us. A couple things I learned:

1. There's no real solution to fixing all the wedge issues. I had the boat into the dealer way too often during the warranty period to try and fix the wedge. They would never really tell us what was the underlying issue. They would simply tell us they spent time in diagnosis and testing and couldn't find anything. They told us they cleared the system of any error codes and everything was working properly for them.

2. Last year, which was the first year out of the warranty period, I took the boat in for the same wedge issues as before (wedge not moving at all, getting stuck, operating out of control like you mentioned) and ended up getting charged over $400 for them to look at it and "reset" it as they had done before. This really pissed me off because the next time on the lake it did the exact same thing and got stuck half way down. After some research on themalibucrew I did some poking around on my own and found the issue was a fuse tucked up under the dash on the bottom right by the stereo remote is an inline fuse for the wedge. This fuse pops all the time, causing the issues described (wedge not responding). At that point I realized all the dealer had ever done was replace the fuse and charge me $400 for some BS work they didn't do. Because of this I never take my boat in to my local dealer for ANYTHING (and if anybody reading this lives anywhere near Utah avoid Taylor's Boats in Draper, UT like the plague). But I digress. The fix was a $.50 fuse. I now keep a whole supply of blade fuses on the boat just for this issue. Haven't lost any lake time since.

3. Correct operation of the wedge is imperative. You must have enough water depth. You must be traveling between 3 - 5 mph any time you move the wedge up and down.

Hope this info helps. Sorry to say I don't know of a fix for the issue, other than completely replacing the entire computer system and wedge components. For me that's too much of a cost to justify.

I have the same boat. I have had issues non stop with our wedge. I think 06 was the first year they really did the power wedge and there are some bugs with that year. The issue you are experiencing is something I have had issues with as well. Before we had experience with how to live with the problems it ruined more than once day on the lake for us. A couple things I learned:

1. There's no real solution to fixing all the wedge issues. I had the boat into the dealer way too often during the warranty period to try and fix the wedge. They would never really tell us what was the underlying issue. They would simply tell us they spent time in diagnosis and testing and couldn't find anything. They told us they cleared the system of any error codes and everything was working properly for them.

2. Last year, which was the first year out of the warranty period, I took the boat in for the same wedge issues as before (wedge not moving at all, getting stuck, operating out of control like you mentioned) and ended up getting charged over $400 for them to look at it and "reset" it as they had done before. This really pissed me off because the next time on the lake it did the exact same thing and got stuck half way down. After some research on themalibucrew I did some poking around on my own and found the issue was a fuse tucked up under the dash on the bottom right by the stereo remote is an inline fuse for the wedge. This fuse pops all the time, causing the issues described (wedge not responding). At that point I realized all the dealer had ever done was replace the fuse and charge me $400 for some BS work they didn't do. Because of this I never take my boat in to my local dealer for ANYTHING (and if anybody reading this lives anywhere near Utah avoid Taylor's Boats in Draper, UT like the plague). But I digress. The fix was a $.50 fuse. I now keep a whole supply of blade fuses on the boat just for this issue. Haven't lost any lake time since.

3. Correct operation of the wedge is imperative. You must have enough water depth. You must be traveling between 3 - 5 mph any time you move the wedge up and down.

Hope this info helps. Sorry to say I don't know of a fix for the issue, other than completely replacing the entire computer system and wedge components. For me that's too much of a cost to justify.

Thanks for the fast response... I didnt know about the 3 to 5 mph i will give it a shot I was really excited about the wedge and hope I will be able to get good use out of it... I'm surprised Malibu didnt replace the defective wedges out there? I wish I lived in Utah I love it out there you cant beat the snow you guys get we snowboard out there at least once a year. I will try all of your suggestions and I hope they work or me thanks again!

Remove the pins that hold the ram/ actuators on the wedge and move the wedge up or down. Do this out of the water obviously simply unscrew the speedo pick up so you don't have to climb under the boat its next to the v-drive under the rear cushion spin it to move up, you do not need to be moving to lower the wedge. See if both rams move. Most likely only one is moving thats why the fuse is blowing and you need to replace the stuck ram.

Remove the pins that hold the ram/ actuators on the wedge and move the wedge up or down. Do this out of the water obviously simply unscrew the speedo pick up so you don't have to climb under the boat its next to the v-drive under the rear cushion spin it to move up, you do not need to be moving to lower the wedge. See if both rams move. Most likely only one is moving thats why the fuse is blowing and you need to replace the stuck ram.

I had the same problem and was that I had a broken actuator. The good one make a lot of effort and blow the fuse. Check the actuators and replace the broken one.

Edited by Luciano Chedrese