Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carnauba based waxes or synthetic based waxes?

What do you guys think about synthetic waxes? I've always been OCD when it comes to my boats and trucks and to tell you the truth it is pretty dang hard for me to tell the difference in shine between a car that was waxed using a few coats of Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax ($175.00 a can) and a car that was waxed using a few coats of S100 Carnauba Paste Wax ($15.99). In my quest to find the longest lasting wax with the best shine for my boat, my only means of testing is to rely on information that I receive on the forums and through individual tests. One of the most prominent and unbiased test that I have read was done through the Guru Reports, which tested many different synthetic and carnauba based waxes on the hoods of cars left out in the same weather conditions over the span of so many months. From what I can recall, Zaino was the number one product tested at the time as far as durability and shine, Klasse Sealant was second but just slightly behind Zaino, I can't remember who was 3rd, etc. The best Carnuba based wax was Collinite Fleetwax for durability and shine. The durability of the synthetic waxes far outperformed the carnuba waxes, by months and months. I know this is a big debate between car enthusiast because of the whole natural and synthetic thing. I doubt its much of a debate with boaters. Based on the price between Zaino and Klasses, I think Klasse is a better value, at least for me. What are your thoughts and preferences? I like to slap on a few coats of Klasse and a few of Collinite fleet wax to get the best of both worlds, and I do this pretty much every week!!!! I'm sick I know :crazy:

Guru report test mag: Have to purchase one to get the info. If I could find mine I could give more info.

http://www.gurureports.org/specialreports/waxtest.3.html

By the way, this test was done in 2002, so there is probably better products out there now so if anyone has any new products they prefer over Klasse, Zaino and Collinite for boats, please let me know.

Edited by MexTex

I used Wolfgang Fuzion on my Yukon. I loved the end result, but it only lasted maybe 3 months. Next week, I'm going to try Klasse first, then follow up with the Fuzion. I'm hoping for longer lasting paint protection, but still have that warm look on the finish that Fuzion gives.

No clue how they work on boats. I just use Starbrite PTEF for the 'bu.

I use the porter cable to apply polishes and carnauba waxes, I do not use it for the Zaino Sealant and the Klasse Sealant. With that stuff you just apply a few light coats with the hand pad and leave them on for about 24 hours between each coat. I do the hull/bottom only once a year, usually at the end of the season.

Edited by MexTex

I use the porter cable to apply polishes and carnauba waxes, I do not use it for the Zaino Sealant and the Klasse Sealant. With that stuff you just apply a few light coats with the hand pad and leave them on for about 24 hours between each coat. I do the hull/bottom only once a year, usually at the end of the season.

If you are OCD and waxing on a regular basis (including the bottom) then stick with the 15.99 stuff as you are not using the durability of the more expensive wax. You are looking for shine, your repeted waxing with the inexpensive stuff will make you boat shine better than most on the water that only get a couple of waxes per year

I don't know much, though I have had the annual 3 - 4 day waxing job year after year...on the big boat. Get winter off and summer on is a Friday - Sunday job at least.

The most common product in the marinas where we slip and visit is by far 3M paste wax. I found this article very interesting.

3M comparison.

I admit, we're not after the OCD shine. We're after long lasting wax protection on huge expanses of fiberglass so we don't have to do it again very soon. Though totally different, still thought I'd put in my vote for 3M products.

I have had excellent results with the Klasse polish followed with Zymol Marina wax. My 2005 looks brand spanking new. The Zymol holds up exceptionally well.

NuFinish. Works great, easy on/off, reasonably inexpensive. Or work you a** off rewaxing all the time with the expensive stuff that doesn't last. Your call.

Ed