Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hit the prop today

IMG00053-20100411-18441.jpg

IMG00054-20100411-18451.jpg

Should I purchase a new one or fix this one? - is this damage something that I need to fix ASAP or can it wait for a couple sets?

also - what material is this prop? the boat is an 08 V-ride and I had a newb help out on the launch which as you can see didn't work out all that well... he feels terrible and wants to make it right - any suggestions that you might have would be appreciated...

Edited by FlatH20

Should I purchase a new one or fix this one? - is this damage something that I need to fix ASAP or can it wait for a couple sets?

also - what material is this prop? the boat is an 08 V-ride and I had a newb help out on the launch which as you can see didn't work out all that well... he feels terrible and wants to make it right - any suggestions that you might have would be appreciated...

What happened?? I would replace it...

The props are made out of NiBral, and I would get a few quotes on what they will charge you to fix. There arn't alot of places that are qualified to work on NiBral props so do some checking around. I would get it fixed sooner than later vibrations can kill alot of other parts.

The props are made out of NiBral, and I would get a few quotes on what they will charge you to fix. There arn't alot of places that are qualified to work on NiBral props so do some checking around. I would get it fixed sooner than later vibrations can kill alot of other parts.

Which means you may have to mail it off somewhere. Then the question will be how long till you get it back?

My prop looked worse than yours and it was $150 to repair it. The repaired prop looks just a new, you cant tell in any way that it was repaired. A new one is around $400-500 vs/ $150 repair. I would remove it as soon as possible as vibrations can ruin other driveline parts pretty easily. I would repair that one, and purchase a ne wprop as a spare. That way if this happens again all you do is back to the parking lot and switch it out. Or if your really good you can switch it underwater.

This is JM2C

Become a supporting member,

Buy a new prop suited to you're need from the discounted Group Buy. This will save you way more then the membership.

Repair prop and use it as a spare.

This way you will never be down again because of a bent prop. :yahoo:

This is JM2C

Become a supporting member,

Buy a new prop suited to you're need from the discounted Group Buy. This will save you way more then the membership.

Repair prop and use it as a spare.

This way you will never be down again because of a bent prop. :yahoo:

:plus1:

Plus you can try a bit of a different prop if you are so inclined. It is always nice to have the ability to switch out to another prop that is spec'd a bit different.

IMG00053-20100411-18441.jpg

IMG00054-20100411-18451.jpg

Get it fixed and get a spare. Tacoma Prop does great work, so does The Prop Shop down the road from me in Mukilteo.

If its an acme prop - you can always call acme or email bill at acme ([email protected]) to see if there is someone local they recommend to fix it. It may not be reparable since the tips of the fins are bent. My last prop had more drastic bends on the tips and it wasn't fixable - yours doesn't look too bad.

Either way - like others have said, buy a new one and use this one for a spare.

Edited by elc

While it's always good to have a spare prop, that dinged up prop is an easy fix. Two years ago I paid $108 to have one repaired that was a lot worse off.

In fact, we've successfully done a repair on a prop that was in similar shape after hitting the trailer prop guard while we were on vacation. I don't know that I'd recommend just anyone do that, but if they have some experience tuning foils & the damage is not too bad..... dig in!

just a follow up - that tip regarding Tacoma Prop - turns out they offer a pick up service from a couple of local marine repair outfits - one of which is about 4 miles from my house - swung by borrowed thier puller, brought back the puller and the prop about 20 minutes later - I'll have the prop back by friday and we'll be back on the water by saturday. I'll stay tuned to the group buy threads to jump on a new/spare and puller to keep in the boat. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

If you are in a pinch, you could actually straighten it out yourself. Lay the prop on top of your trailer hitch ball and CAREFULLY hammer it back to match the shape of one of the good blades. Pound it a little at a time. Nibral is soft enough that you can get it close to the right shape enough to run vibration free. Now you don't want to do this for a long term fix, but if you've just started a long weekend and hit something, this can get you back on the water pretty quickly. Don't do it for a major hit, but your prop is a good candidate for a little "massage" back into shape.

If you are in a pinch, you could actually straighten it out yourself. Lay the prop on top of your trailer hitch ball and CAREFULLY hammer it back to match the shape of one of the good blades. Pound it a little at a time. Nibral is soft enough that you can get it close to the right shape enough to run vibration free. Now you don't want to do this for a long term fix, but if you've just started a long weekend and hit something, this can get you back on the water pretty quickly. Don't do it for a major hit, but your prop is a good candidate for a little "massage" back into shape.

I agree. If you cant get it off right away just use a "Crescent" wrench and bend a little at a time. Where I live I get little "licks" in mine all of the time and I normally can get them out that way. The tip will be the touch part for you.