Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Northern US and Canada - Pix and stores if day 1, 2010

JeffS

By the way - the title is supposed to be "pix and stories of day 1" not pix and stores if day 1. The tiny keyboard of a netbook computer - and I didn't proof read...whoops...sorry 'bout that.

Our DAY 1...

April 11th, 2010 for us - Wisconsin. Temp 61. Water 49 - 50.

Great day on the water. It's been a great spring so far. We are SSSSOOOO due for a warm spring and hot summer. Hopefully this is the start of it!

041110-1.jpg

041110-2.jpg

Edited by JeffS

Little Muskego - heading back out on Wednesday afternoon. Lake temp is warming up super-fast. Last weekend it was 42. This weekend, 50 in the shallow areas, 48 in the deepest part of the bowl. At 4' down, it's 38deg though.

Which is why I titled the thread Northern US and Canada...

Well you don't have to get a snotty about it. :fingerwag: And I am in Nor Cal. :biggrin: We get snow. :yes:

Of course,....our lakes do remain liquid. :tease1:

Edited by NorCaliBu

My apologies if you read it wrong...but I promise, that wasn't snotty. If I was going to get snotty, it would be very obvious. :biggrin: I was merely being factual. :innocent:

And for everyone - here's a working definition of Northern US. If you have to drive through two other states to get to Canada - you're not in the northern US. :thumbup:

My apologies if you read it wrong...but I promise, that wasn't snotty. If I was going to get snotty, it would be very obvious.

I was just :Tease3:

And for everyone - here's a working definition of Northern US. If you have to drive through two other states to get to Canada - you're not in the northern US.

So would you consider Baltimore, MD in the northern US? Cincinnati, OH?

Edited by NorCaliBu

My apologies if you read it wrong...but I promise, that wasn't snotty. If I was going to get snotty, it would be very obvious. :biggrin: I was merely being factual. :innocent:

And for everyone - here's a working definition of Northern US. If you have to drive through two other states to get to Canada - you're not in the northern US. :thumbup:

I guess we are in the Northern US here then. I didn't get out, but some friends of mine get out on the river every year on New Years Day. My first day of the year was in Feb.

I guess I don't know how to better describe who I'm encouraging to post. Maybe these might help.

• If you HAVE to own a snowblower because your winter is long, cold and snowy - you are encouraged to post pix of your day 1 2010.
  • If you have looked out the windshield and wondered if they can pave a highway with salt - you are encouraged to post.
  • If you don't have to go up in altitude to get to a snowmobile trail, you are encouraged to post.
  • If your annual snowfall total is measured in feet, your schools don't close until the buses get stuck, if your city has winter parking restrictions because of snow banks, please post.
  • If your fire hydrants have flags on them so they can be found and get dug out after winter storms, please post.
  • If people ice fish where you live - please post.
  • If pickup trucks drive on lakes at least 2 months per year, please post.
  • If your furnace can bring the indoor temperature above 70, even when the real temp is 100degrees colder (-30) outside...please post.
    I think this might be clearer.
    Winter warriors - post your pix of Day 1, 2010!!!

...OH is a northern state.

OK. Well Grass Valley, CA (where I live) is at Lat 39.2 while Cincinnati is at Lat 39.0 (meaning Grass Valley is actually further north than Cinci). Other points of interest... The most northern town in CA is at Lat 42.0 South Bend, IN is 41.6. Chicago is 41.8. Ann Arbor, MI is at 42.2 (only slightly north of the CA border latitudinaly speaking) And yes, I did just make up the "latitudinaly". :biggrin:

I guess I don't know how to better describe who I'm encouraging to post. Maybe these might help.

• If you HAVE to own a snowblower because your winter is long, cold and snowy - you are encouraged to post pix of your day 1 2010.
  • If you have looked out the windshield and wondered if they can pave a highway with salt - you are encouraged to post.
  • If you don't have to go up in altitude to get to a snowmobile trail, you are encouraged to post.
  • If your annual snowfall total is measured in feet, your schools don't close until the buses get stuck, if your city has winter parking restrictions because of snow banks, please post.
  • If your fire hydrants have flags on them so they can be found and get dug out after winter storms, please post.
  • If people ice fish where you live - please post.
  • If pickup trucks drive on lakes at least 2 months per year, please post.
  • If your furnace can bring the indoor temperature above 70, even when the real temp is 100degrees colder (-30) outside...please post.
    I think this might be clearer.
    Winter warriors - post your pix of Day 1, 2010!!!

Oh... that's what you meant? :lol::Tease3:

I can't believe anyone would live in the places you just described. :dontknow:

:lol:

Yea, we're only at 49 degrees "latitudinaly". It's not legal to ice fish around here, even though the ice on the lakes is thick enough to drive your truck on. And even when there is ice on one lake, theres always another one that is liquid a few miles away.

Our fire hydrants have flags, but they never saw more than a couple inches of snow this year.

They don't use salt here. Some chemical mixed with molasses (so it'll stick to the road).

Oh, and my snowblower only got started once this year...... to see if it still ran!!

Over 9' of snow last year. And less than 9" of snow this year. So I guess we'll make up for it on the water instead. :yahoo:

Oh... that's what you meant? :lol::Tease3:

I can't believe anyone would live in the places you just described. :dontknow:

:lol:

I like to explain it like this...

In Wisconsin, we love the people and tolerate the weather. In California, they love the weather and tolerate the people.

Sound about right to you? :thumbup::unsure::whistle::thumbup:

I like to explain it like this...

In Wisconsin, we love the people and tolerate the weather. In California, they love the weather and tolerate the people.

Sound about right to you?

Actually, I used to work for a company that was headquartered in Madison and twice a year would head back there for sales meetings and most of the people there were very warm and friendly. As with any area, there are exceptions.

In reference to Cali...the smaller towns in the Sierra Foothills have a very different feel from the likes of LA and SF. I grew up down in So Cal (beach cities of LA) and I hate even going back for visits. I used to go to the bay area regularly for work and didn't really care for that either (no offense to those that live there but I could not deal with those crowds and that traffic on a day to day basis). CA has a bad rep because of the idiots in Hollywood, the liberals in SF, and the moronic politicians in Sac. Some of us are just normal folks. :)

Actually, I used to work for a company that was headquartered in Madison and twice a year would head back there for sales meetings and most of the people there were very warm and friendly. As with any area, there are exceptions.

In reference to Cali...the smaller towns in the Sierra Foothills have a very different feel from the likes of LA and SF. I grew up down in So Cal (beach cities of LA) and I hate even going back for visits. I used to go to the bay area regularly for work and didn't really care for that either (no offense to those that live there but I could not deal with those crowds and that traffic on a day to day basis). CA has a bad rep because of the idiots in Hollywood, the liberals in SF, and the moronic politicians in Sac. Some of us are just normal folks. Smile.gif

Let's be honest most view Ca by the wackadoodles from SF and LA (Socal). The people and terrain/climate is so diverse that it's impossile to lump us all together. With that said we sort of tolerate others, but usually look to just get ahead at all costs...lol