Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fitting a Titan Board Rack on an Illusion X Tower

MaddMaxx

I have a 2008 VLX with an Illusion X tower. I bought a pair of used Titan fixed board racks from a malibucrew member that posted them on the forum classifieds here. The studs on the Titan will not go in the guide holes on the tower. I tried using a rubber mallet but the studs are just a tid bit too big becuase I'm pushing up what appears to aluminum and paint in the guide holes. Is it supposed to fit better than that? Also, it appears that the previous owner struck the side of a wall or something because one of the forks is bent and has damage to the rubber coating on all three forks. The bolt is screwed up about half way down the thread. I can see the damage and it will only go so far in the rack bracket and then it gets hung up. Am I doing something wrong with trying to get the damn things installed?

You will have to drill the holes out to the pin size. As far as tweaked forks i may or may not know someone who did that before :unsure: Just remove put them in a vise and use a rubber mallet mine look new again :whistle:

Hello, this is Mrs. Maxx (a.k.a. The Wifey). I cannot express how unsettling it is to hear the sound of hammer-pounding coming from our new (to us) Malibu. Is it common for these things to not fit and to have to be drilled? If so, is there any concern about doing it yourself vs. taking it to someone who routinely does installations? Maxx has the equipment to do it himself and typically does his own work. That's usually a good time for me to go shopping... -- T.W.

I have a 2008 VLX with an Illusion X tower. I bought a pair of used Titan fixed board racks from a malibucrew member that posted them on the forum classifieds here. The studs on the Titan will not go in the guide holes on the tower. I tried using a rubber mallet but the studs are just a tid bit too big becuase I'm pushing up what appears to aluminum and paint in the guide holes. Is it supposed to fit better than that? Also, it appears that the previous owner struck the side of a wall or something because one of the forks is bent and has damage to the rubber coating on all three forks. The bolt is screwed up about half way down the thread. I can see the damage and it will only go so far in the rack bracket and then it gets hung up. Am I doing something wrong with trying to get the damn things installed?

Yep, You have to drill them because of the powdercoating! Just go slow and easy! No big deal! They just keep it from spinning!

OK, so after I drilled out the holes on one side, fell off the ladder and gauged the gelcoat with my wrench :Doh: , I still am having issues with the racks. I can get the guides in the holes and the bolt started but it won't tighten up completely. It's almost like the bolt only goes so far (it doesn't bottom out that I'm aware of) and no more and yet there's about a 1/16" of play. Should I hacksaw the bolt to shorten it, put in some gaskets to bridge the gaps, maybe something I'm missing?

BTW, I see my wife posted here. She didn't like hearing the rubber hammer whacking the tower. :bash:

i had to drill mine out to. just drill alittle bit at a time. i personally would send them back if they have bent forks and he didnt notify you in the sale. good luck and take your time. also buy a tap with the same thread as your bolt and you can fix the damaged threads in the rack.

OK, so after I drilled out the holes on one side, fell off the ladder and gauged the gelcoat with my wrench :Doh: , I still am having issues with the racks. I can get the guides in the holes and the bolt started but it won't tighten up completely. It's almost like the bolt only goes so far (it doesn't bottom out that I'm aware of) and no more and yet there's about a 1/16" of play. Should I hacksaw the bolt to shorten it, put in some gaskets to bridge the gaps, maybe something I'm missing?

BTW, I see my wife posted here. She didn't like hearing the rubber hammer whacking the tower. :bash:

There are two different bolts, one for the upper mounts, and one for the lower. That might be your issue here.

I had a similar issue last weekend with a Titan wakesurf rack I bought from a dealer on my 07. It was the quick release style and I had to hammer the plate on just to get the holes to fit, then the screw hole didnt line up with the threads on the back of the plate. I took it partially off and was able to get the bolt in at an angle and turn it a few times but this weekend it fell off the boat, thank goodness I caught it and it had the surfboard attached to keep it afloat. I re installed it but still dont feel super comfortable. I bought a Metcraft spinner rack from another poster on this site and hopefully it goes better. The Titans look cooler but I just dont think they fit.

So those of you talking about drilling, do you mean the pegs or the bolt hole.

I had to drill out the peg holes (a lot on some). I had to drill some of them bigger than the actual pegs so the bolt would line up straight. Watch out for the wires.

Sounds like the OP threads are either stippred or he needs the shorter botl. I have some extra short bolts, if you need them.

Edited by jimw

Thank you all. I've got several things to try. The boat went back to the storage area, so I'll be getting to it again this weekend.

JimW, if I could but them from you, I may take you up on the offer.

I'm pretty sure I meant to say "..if I could BUY them from you.." and not "...BUT them from you...". Good thing I didn't add another 'T' to that word the first time around.

• 3 weeks later...

there is a difference in mounting an IX and an IXS fixed board rack. before drilling i would suggest determining they are for the correct tower. there is a drill jig available as well. luke can help at 916-858-1178