Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keeping boat on hoist

WakeSurfin

Im looking at renting a boat slip this summer and purchasing a used hoist to hold my 2008 Response Lxi. I have a few questions about keeping a boat on a hoist -

What kind of hoist is best, cantilever or vertical?

My boat has black gel near the water line. Do I need a covered hoist to avoid it getting sun faded?

Aproximatley what should I expect to spend for a used manual boat hoist?

When I go to inspect a used hoist for purchase what kinds of things should I be looking for?

Im looking at renting a boat slip this summer and purchasing a used hoist to hold my 2008 Response Lxi. I have a few questions about keeping a boat on a hoist -

What kind of hoist is best, cantilever or vertical?

My boat has black gel near the water line. Do I need a covered hoist to avoid it getting sun faded?

Aproximatley what should I expect to spend for a used manual boat hoist?

When I go to inspect a used hoist for purchase what kinds of things should I be looking for?

I would go with cantilever,because it does'nt have to be dead level to work.A lot less maintance,for the cables and guides over the years of use.the covered top,works nice for rain,qicck,cover,but the sun still refects off water so much anyways. 2500-3500 for a good one. ck for stress cracks ,worn pullies,cables, gaer box wear,ck weight cap. Its well worth getting hoist only way to go. good luck!

I would go with cantilever,because it does'nt have to be dead level to work.A lot less maintance,for the cables and guides over the years of use.the covered top,works nice for rain,qicck,cover,but the sun still refects off water so much anyways. 2500-3500 for a good one. ck for stress cracks ,worn pullies,cables, gaer box wear,ck weight cap. Its well worth getting hoist only way to go. good luck!

Ditto all that, right on. That's what I have too. Also check for swelling of the legs at the bottoms, sometimes people don't let all the water drain out and they freeze and stretch the aluminum. And definitely go with the canopy, it will save your interior for sure, worth every dime.

I have a CraftLander 4,500lb vertical lift that I keep my Response on. It works great. I bought it used and made axles to put large plastic wheels on it. I just roll it in from my beach. Then level it up. I also added a Commander D/C lift direct-drive motor with remote control. Very convenient. I didn't get a canopy for it because didn't want it to block the view. If you have a set-up at the marina that you can roll the lift in and out when required, this type of lift is a good fit. However, if you can't, then you may want to consider something like an Air-Dock or a Hydro-Hoist that ties to the front or side of the slip. An air compressor that sits on the dock inflates a deflates the bags to raise and lower the boat. More convient for installation and removable. Whatever style of lift you choose, it is a worthwhile investment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Hydrogasm

Cantilever lift will require a bit more water and also keep in mind that when the boat is being raised it will move forward, so make sure you have room in the slip or at the dock. Agree that the cantilever mechanism is much simpler and has less maintenance. When looking for a used lift inspect the winch, cables, pulleys as these items wear out first. Canopies are awesome and once you have one you will never go back. 2500 to 3500 for a used set up with a canopy and vinyl would be a great deal, good luck finding that lift. New cantilever lift should run around 6k for everything.

Let me know what area of the country you are in and I may be able to suggest an installer/retailer. Many Dealers do trade ins on lifts this time of year so be sure to seek them out also.

Another note on canopies. If you find a used one that has worn vinyl, replacement vinyl usually runs around $800 for 22 to 24' canopy lengths. They are easy to get replaements with just about any manufacturer. Also, if you have or are putting a tower on the Lxi you want to check the clear height. I had to modify the entry end of my canopy so that I could pull on with the tower up.

I thought cantilevers could operate in shallower water than vertical lifts.Dontknow.gif

I just purchased a vertical lift...cantilever didn't work for me for 2 reasons...variable water heights, which includes low water. Both based on the research I did said vertical was the appropriate solution for my application.

I had to go with a vertical lift also. My front legs are as short as I can make them. The rear I had to get extra long and extend them 4 1/2 to 5 feet. I also can lift my boat higher out of the water. No wakes slapping the boat and the rear is not in the water. It also raises the boat three time faster. I also can move the boat closer to the sea wall. It allows for a shorter dock.

One thing I forgot to mention was that if you decide to go with a vertical lift, make sure you check out the Floe models. They have a lveling system that in great. You don't need to get in the water, you stand on your guides with a cordless drill and lower the legs until the lift is level. I put me lift in 2 days after the ice went out and the water was about 36F, I still haven't leveled it yet because the weather turned bad again, so the 'Bu is still in the garage. Here is a link to their website: http://www.floeintl.com/docks.asp?pageName=docksLiftsEasyLevelLegs&sm=4

Check it out

Gary

I had to go with a vertical lift also. My front legs are as short as I can make them. The rear I had to get extra long and extend them 4 1/2 to 5 feet. I also can lift my boat higher out of the water. No wakes slapping the boat and the rear is not in the water. It also raises the boat three time faster. I also can move the boat closer to the sea wall. It allows for a shorter dock.

But that's my scenario with a cantilever! The front legs aren't even out, they are all the way up inside the lift. Yet I had to buy "deep water extensions" for the rear. And, the boat is out of the water by about 1.5' when raised up. I built my pier around where the lift would sit, and kept it as close to shore as possible. So it would seem that this issue is the same for either type of lift?

I think the kicker is that with fluctuating water levels the vertical lift is better as it has more travel. Our lake has a small inlet and a regulated outlet, so we have very little fluctuation.

Dontknow.gif