Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What kind of surf board?

Lakenut

I surfed for the first time this summer and loved it. However, it was behind a large Vdrive. I understand other Crew members have surfed behind the Slxi. What kind of board would everyone recomend for the smaller wake my boat would rollout? Also, can used boards be found on Ebay?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to look at the new landlock 5'11" or try the broadcast 5'9". The inland surfer green room my work for you also. the longer the board the better it will be for you (small wake)

Lakenut I didn't find any boards on Ebay, but if you are considering a LF board now would be the time to get them as the 06's are going to be in this month so they might deal on any remaining 05's.

come on 'nut, there's still time to redeem yourself...that's the darkest of dark sides over there.

I know, I know......My ski buddies are all married and or having kids which means way less "serious" time spent on the water. My wife has gotten burned out pulling me through the course even though she has gotten good at it. All of that turning and driving perfectly straight and stuff. Heck, I haven't been out to the slalom course since early summer. Looks like our season is all but over and I am looking for something to do when the public lakes have been turned into mixing bowls.

Jetski-can the SLXi be surfed w/ wedge & ski locker MLS full?

LN,

I've had 500 Lbs. and three people on one side with the wedge. It worked ok you'll need to turn into the wake more than a v-drive and it takes more work to keep surfing. I didn't add any ballast up front though.

come on 'nut, there's still time to redeem yourself...that's the darkest of dark sides over there.

I know, I know......My ski buddies are all married and or having kids which means way less "serious" time spent on the water. My wife has gotten burned out pulling me through the course even though she has gotten good at it. All of that turning and driving perfectly straight and stuff. Heck, I haven't been out to the slalom course since early summer. Looks like our season is all but over and I am looking for something to do when the public lakes have been turned into mixing bowls.

In that pic we had the wedge, 500lb.s behind the engine and 5 people in the boat. 3 across the back, the driver and someone in the observers seat. We don't fill the ski locker MLS because the wake usually isn't as good. We are going to get another 500lbs because surfing took up a lot of our water time this year.

You can, but it will work better with a 500 pounder on whatever corner that you'll be surfing. We did this with CarveItUp's SLXI & it worked good (he doesn't have MLS, just a Wedge). We had the bag draped up over the trunk on the side that we were surfing & it was pretty good, much better than having it on the floor behind the engine box or even on the side that we were on. The CWB Ride has a lot of flotation & will work good behind that boat as well as the Inland Surfer either the Green Room or Blue that was mentioned earlier. Slider has experience on the Skimskate & said that it's good too. All of these boards are easier for him to ride on a wake like that than our 5'6" Broadcast - there's just not enough flotation there for a big guy like him on a smaller wake. YMMV

You can, but it will work better with a 500 pounder on whatever corner that you'll be surfing. We did this with CarveItUp's SLXI & it worked good (he doesn't have MLS, just a Wedge). We had the bag draped up over the trunk on the side that we were surfing & it was pretty good, much better than having it on the floor behind the engine box or even on the side that we were on. The CWB Ride has a lot of flotation & will work good behind that boat as well as the Inland Surfer either the Green Room or Blue that was mentioned earlier. Slider has experience on the Skimskate & said that it's good too. All of these boards are easier for him to ride on a wake like that than our 5'6" Broadcast - there's just not enough flotation there for a big guy like him on a smaller wake. YMMV

As Tracie said, the Ride works fine for us with the wedge and the fat sac (and some VAB). The smaller wave seems to call for a bigger volume board...

That's typically the idea. The other thing to consider is what size the people that will be riding it are. Smaller people will be able to get away with something like a 5'6" Broadcast, but big guys like slider have a much harder time. Boards with more flotation, even if they're the same length, the flotation is what helps.

So the consensus is bigger board w/ smaller wake?

Yes a bigger board is easier to ride on a small wake. Also the more buoyant the board the easier is is to go ropeless. Of all the boards that I have ridden the easiert to learn on was the Greenroom by Inland Surfer.

All that said, with a bigger board you won't be able to do nearly as much as on the squirrelly little boards.

By the way, your boat will work just great for surfing. I have surfed behind a Response LX with wedge and 500lb sack.

Good luck

Joe