Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 Hammerhead impeller change

Can someone give me the breakdown on changing the impeller on a 2006 247 wakesetter with a 383 Hammerhead. Like to know before I jump into tearing it apart. Looks like the whole pump comes of the from of the motor and taking off the hoses. Hope I dont have to remove the exhast muffler and stuff.

the impeller is on the rear of the motor facing the transom. It is located directly below the muffler that crosses over behind the engine. It is a bear to get to. I removed the side panels from the engine compartment for more access but ended up laying over the motor and reaching my hands down with a 5/16" socket to remove the four brass screws on the face plate. The plate, and gasket, should pop right off. The impeller on the other hand will be a pain to get out without a fancy impeller remover, or a couple of screw drives. Search on this site and you will find lots of discussion on impeller removal.

You do not have to remove the pump, the hoses or anything else, just the four small screws. Be careful with the screws because they are soft brass.

Edit.. I am in Modesto too. If you need me to drop by and show you where things are at, I will be happy to.

Ken

Edited by kb3

Yeah I thought that is what I should do but the muffler is right above the impeller housing so it looks very hard to get to. email me at [email protected] and if you are available that would be great. I will give you me cell number in the email.

Sounds like KB3 has got it covered for you. It's really not that bad of a job once you get it down. I've got the same engine in my 23 LSV and it takes me about 15 min to change the impeller now.

• 1 year later...

This is on a direct drive but should give you a good idea.

thanks!

Dark here - so will wait for morning to pull it apart. hopeing dealer has another. And hoping that is all that is wrong.

thanks!

Dark here - so will wait for morning to pull it apart. hopeing dealer has another. And hoping that is all that is wrong.

If you find your impeller to be toast, be sure to clean the tranny cooler and the hoses downstream of the impeller.