Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with a bunch of questions after my first 5 day trip - 2007 VTX

FireDoug

Well we just completed our first multi day trip with our new to us 2007 VTX Wakesetter, First off I must say I love this boat. My last boat was a 1997 Ski Nautique Open Bow. Like most new owners I have been doing a ton of reading and searching on various questions that have come up, so I have a couple questions below if anyone can help me answer it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ran boat engine out of water.

While trailering the boat we had a bit of added stress this trip as we stayed on the Parker Strip in AZ, and the launch ramp we used had some good cross current flowing that made trailering a bit of a challenge. Anyway long story short, my wife was driving the boat and once clipped to the trailer I pulled the truck up and walked back to make sure the boat came out properly on the trailer bunk boards when I got to the back of the boat to look I noticed that my wife did not shut down the engine, I reminded her to shut if off quickly. So the boat ran on the trailer out of the water for maybe 30 to 45 seconds.

What do you all think? Should I pull the impeller and replace it or is 30 sec no concern?

2. Dash Electronics

I noticed about 50% of the time the Malibu LCD cruise control information screen and the LCD displays in the lower half of the speedo and tach don't come on for about 10 seconds after the boat is started. Is anybody else's boat doing that? A bit annoying when trying to get a skier going, and I am waiting to get the cruise setup.

3. Watersking?

So I have tried a couple of setups for aggressive cutting slalom hoping to find the sweet spot for reduced wake. Well so far no luck, the step up on the wake is very tough to cross at full speed on edge, I have laughing friends to prove that... bouncing face plants are not much fun. I have tried 32, 30, 28 mph and full 15 off and full 75' rope, with the best combo seaming to be 28 mph @ full 75'. Did not shorten anymore than 15 off since that area looks to have a bigger step. My VTX is a wake hull. Anyone found a sweet spot/speed that worked for them? I know it may just be what it is, but I would like to try and find the best combo.

4. Wakesurfing:

So we tried to free rope wakesurf with no luck. Here is setup, wedge down, Center tank full, port tank full and then tried both port and starboard tanks full. Driver and observer = 450#s. We tried pulling in and out on my new wakesurf rope and never felt the sweet spot. I am guessing I need to add more weight. But I wanted to know what you guys with VTX have found to work.

5. Illusion tower with Bimini up?

When you pull a boarder with the Bimini up do you route the rope under of over the Bimini to your tower swivel? We did not need the shade this trip, but I was just wondering for next month?

I know a lot of questions, if you can answer just one I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Doug

All I can answer is #1.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine running for 30 secs but, if you don't know when the impeller was last replaced, I'd go ahead and do it now.

3. Watersking?

So I have tried a couple of setups for aggressive cutting slalom hoping to find the sweet spot for reduced wake. Well so far no luck, the step up on the wake is very tough to cross at full speed on edge, I have laughing friends to prove that... bouncing face plants are not much fun. I have tried 32, 30, 28 mph and full 15 off and full 75' rope, with the best combo seaming to be 28 mph @ full 75'. Did not shorten anymore than 15 off since that area looks to have a bigger step. My VTX is a wake hull. Anyone found a sweet spot/speed that worked for them? I know it may just be what it is, but I would like to try and find the best combo.

I would try 34 mph and put some weight (maybe 100 lbs or so) up in to bow to help counter balance the engine being too far back. Also, remove any extra weight from the boat that doesn't need to be there(anchors, extra coolers,...) and run with ¼ tank of gas instead of a full tank.

Well we just completed our first multi day trip with our new to us 2007 VTX Wakesetter, First off I must say I love this boat. My last boat was a 1997 Ski Nautique Open Bow. Like most new owners I have been doing a ton of reading and searching on various questions that have come up, so I have a couple questions below if anyone can help me answer it would be greatly appreciated.

While trailering the boat we had a bit of added stress this trip as we stayed on the Parker Strip in AZ, and the launch ramp we used had some good cross current flowing that made trailering a bit of a challenge. Anyway long story short, my wife was driving the boat and once clipped to the trailer I pulled the truck up and walked back to make sure the boat came out properly on the trailer bunk boards when I got to the back of the boat to look I noticed that my wife did not shut down the engine, I reminded her to shut if off quickly. So the boat ran on the trailer out of the water for maybe 30 to 45 seconds.

What do you all think? Should I pull the impeller and replace it or is 30 sec no concern?

2. Dash Electronics

I noticed about 50% of the time the Malibu LCD cruise control information screen and the LCD displays in the lower half of the speedo and tach don't come on for about 10 seconds after the boat is started. Is anybody else's boat doing that? A bit annoying when trying to get a skier going, and I am waiting to get the cruise setup.

3. Watersking?

4. Wakesurfing:

So we tried to free rope wakesurf with no luck. Here is setup, wedge down, Center tank full, port tank full and then tried both port and starboard tanks full. Driver and observer = 450#s. We tried pulling in and out on my new wakesurf rope and never felt the sweet spot. I am guessing I need to add more weight. But I wanted to know what you guys with VTX have found to work.

When you pull a boarder with the Bimini up do you route the rope under of over the Bimini to your tower swivel? We did not need the shade this trip, but I was just wondering for next month?

I know a lot of questions, if you can answer just one I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Doug

2. Turn you key on for a few seconds prior to starting your engine and let the gauges and displays come up.

5. Over the Bimini. The rope won't touch it unless your not pulling anyone.

4. Wakesurfing:

I have a VLX but imagine that you will need more weight. I run with the factory center and rear (whatever side you are riding on) ballast full, plus a 750# fat sac in v drive locker (again the side you are riding on), 400# in bow and 400# on side. You might not need this much weight, but a good starting point would be to add the 750 in the rear. What board were you riding? This can also be a reason why you could not free surf.

That amount of time isn't much to get too concerned over. I would visually inspect the impeller, but more than likely it's just fine.

2. Dash Electronics

This is normal, but never had a rider sat hit it and me needing to wait for the speedo/tach. This should all be done while your pulling away from the rider to tighten up the rope.

3. Watersking?

Add weight up front will help, with the wake hull it's only going to get so good. The diamond hull would have been a better option, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

4. Wakesurfing:

This post or this post might help.

Always have the rope over the biminy.

3. Shorten the line. 28 or 32 off and 32-4 mph. I do it all the time. Adding weight to the bow helps also.

4. Full ballast except the non-surf side. Also, wedge slightly up if it is a power wedge. It will work with this set-up stock if you have a full boat. A 750# does make a big difference though.

I did the same thing with my first inboard out at mohave. I ran it for about a minute - everything was fine. Someone recommended I change the impeller, I did but there was nothing wrong with it.

The cross current can really make it a challenge getting an inboard on the trailer. We usually ride in the moabi area and the current is even stronger then in parker. Even though I have put the boat on the trailer hundreds of times, I still hate trailering it at this ride spot. I wish I had tips to give but often times the current is so strong I just have someone walk it on the trailer.

The wake hull can have a nice ski wake. Less gass and weight in the boat will certainly help, or as mentioned load the bow a bit. I almost bought a wake hull instead of a diamond because it does ski pretty well, but I usually ski 34-36 and 15-28 off.