Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 wakesetter traler brakes

seekinasylum

Ok i have never owned a boat trailer w brakes and have never been around this hydraulic setup. Is there a way to not make these brakes work when you back up.It is a boatmate trailer. One of my friends has a mastercraft he said u can put a pin in his but im not seeing this happen on mine.I just dont feel comfortable forcing it in the garage.

You need a 5 pin connector on your truck, this will have a power feed to an electric solenoid that turns off the brakes when you back up.

You can also put in the manual lock out (the pin your friend was talking about) into the actuator.

-Chris

yeah looks just like that pic. I was wondering why it had an extra prong on the plug. Im guessing u hook that to yur reverse lights right. If so i have three diff trucks i swap around to pull w that blows having to wire a reverse on all of them.

yeah looks just like that pic. I was wondering why it had an extra prong on the plug. Im guessing u hook that to yur reverse lights right. If so i have three diff trucks i swap around to pull w that blows having to wire a reverse on all of them.

ahhh, I feel so sorry for you and your possible 3 tow vehicles :biggrin: Just fab yourself a clip that will fit in that slot and attach it to the trailer. What kind kind of hookups do all of your tow vehicles have, I'm assuming all of them a 4-way?

Edited by Ndawg12

Tahoe has rv 7 plug i think, w a 4 plug adapter in it all my other trucks have 4 plug and 6 plug hook ups. Yeah i just looked a it and guess i could stick a dime or something in there for now lol. I just hate wiring but guess you leave me no choice. They dont make an adapter for a 7 to 5 do they.

Tahoe has rv 7 plug i think, w a 4 plug adapter in it all my other trucks have 4 plug and 6 plug hook ups. Yeah i just looked a it and guess i could stick a dime or something in there for now lol. I just hate wiring but guess you leave me no choice. They dont make an adapter for a 7 to 5 do they.

I have 2 of them from NAPA. One is 7 to 5 and the other is a 7 to 5 or 4 combo.

I have 2 of them from NAPA. One is 7 to 5 and the other is a 7 to 5 or 4 combo.

I think I got mine from Walmart. try the automotive section.

Not to add to the controversy but..

If you don't mind spending a few dollars to avoid the whole issue, have free back brakes swapped out for your existing ones. They allow rolling back wards without actuating the drum brake. I did this for my trailer and just use the 4 prong plug. Works great. Chances are that your trailer may be due for service (it's not that much more than the overhaul itself).

here is an example: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4436&categoryID=151

good luck

Edited by ralong

my trailer has 4 disc brakes so the drum deal prob wont work to well, im tryin to find a 7 to 5 plug been every where but napa. im thinkin bout drillin a hole so i can put a pin in it aslo, thanx for the advice.

I recc. you get the proper adapter, one for each vehicle. Otherwise you can do what burider says but, it doesn't always work out pissa because when you flip the connector, you're taking away the ground wire and using the ball inside the coupler as the ground path back to the truck. But, if you hate wiring, you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Or If you want it in the garage quick you can flip the connector around and turn on your headlights, releasing the solenoid. Then go get your adapter.

I got a five flat yesterday for my tahoe works perfect, i know what your talking about in flipping it, i know about all there is to know on wiring vehicles thats why i dont like it cause i have done it so much im burned out on it and dont really have the time to do it right and solder all of it. I own my own landscaping buisness thats why i have several trucks, and i wired all of them w 4 and 6 pole plugs for all the trailers we use, i didnt think to look yesterday but im wondering if they make a 4 to 5 or a 6 to 5 adaptor, because i know if i have a four flat and a five flat hanging on the back of the truck one of them is gonna get ripped off.

• 4 years later...

i also have an 01 wakesetter on a Dorsey trailer with Drum brakes. The brakes are shot and i am looking to upgrade to disc brakes. Has anyone converted there trailer from drums to discs??

I see a few systems online from Tie Down but not sure what will work with our trailers. Any info will be helpful.

i also have an 01 wakesetter on a Dorsey trailer with Drum brakes. The brakes are shot and i am looking to upgrade to disc brakes. Has anyone converted there trailer from drums to discs??

I see a few systems online from Tie Down but not sure what will work with our trailers. Any info will be helpful.

Tie Down stuff tends to be junk. Take a look at UFP brakes, that is what is used on the current trailers. Another quality option is Kodiak.

• Like 1

Tie Down stuff tends to be junk. Take a look at UFP brakes, that is what is used on the current trailers. Another quality option is Kodiak.

Can i buy just the disc and caliper kits or do i need to replace the actuator unit also?

Yes, they do make a 7 to 5. Should find it at most automotive parts stores.

Blackblubu

Can i buy just the disc and caliper kits or do i need to replace the actuator unit also?

Typically the actuator is matched to the type of brakes, but you would have to look at the specs for what you have and see if it meets the specs required by the brakes you chose. If it were me, I'd just replace it all at once and start fresh.

I don't get why more people don't swap the 5 flat on the trailer for a more common round plug. That way you never have to worry about having the adapter and can switch between vehicles easily. Seems like most tow vehicles now days come with a 7 way round.

I don't get why more people don't swap the 5 flat on the trailer for a more common round plug. That way you never have to worry about having the adapter and can switch between vehicles easily. Seems like most tow vehicles now days come with a 7 way round.

Or just install and adapter cable like the boatmates come with from the factory.

This is basically what comes on the boatmate except theirs is black. You don't see the 5 pin because they make the connection inside the tongue.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Wesbar/787207.html