Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat covers

skyskier

My #1 priority is keeping rain water out, closely followed by ease of use. The CS cover I used with my 2008 LSV did a decent job if it was adjusted properly, but water would pool if anything was off even a little. It did leak a good bit around the tower, but pallet wrap took care of that. On the plus side, that cover was light, trailerable, and very simple to put on and take off. I was all set to go with Evolution for the boat I just ordered, but I saw another thread here where it was noted that water can pool in those covers too. Here is the question.......for water shedding ability and ease of use, which would you choose?

I guess Cory can thank Malibudude and Bill-Airjunky for a potential lost sale :crazy:

Let me try to get you back :biggrin: I can't compare the two but I have an evolution and I have never seen where water entered the boat from the tower legs, and I have a Titan 3 (4 legs). The evolution is probably heavier but that's a good thing in my opinion. I put all my weight into pulling each strap to get it nice and tight, haven't had an issue with pooling either. What's the warranty period on the OEM cover? Evolution is 10 years I think and Cory's customer service is the best around, period.

My #1 priority is keeping rain water out, closely followed by ease of use. The CS cover I used with my 2008 LSV did a decent job if it was adjusted properly, but water would pool if anything was off even a little. It did leak a good bit around the tower, but pallet wrap took care of that. On the plus side, that cover was light, trailerable, and very simple to put on and take off. I was all set to go with Evolution for the boat I just ordered, but I saw another thread here where it was noted that water can pool in those covers too. Here is the question.......for water shedding ability and ease of use, which would you choose?

Water will not pool/collect on the Evolution cover unless it's not installed properly, they also tow very well (unless it's not installed properly). I would choose the Evolution for the quality as well as the unmatched customer service that Cory provides for his customers.

By the way I helped Cory template the 09+ LSV and spent a long time fine tuning it with him so water pooling won't be an issue my friend, it fits like a freakin glove.

newcoverandspeakers001-1.jpg

newcoverandspeakers008.jpg

newcoverandspeakers007.jpg

newcoverandspeakers009.jpg

Edited by 06vlx

I have to agree that if the Evolution covers are installed right, then it's tough to get any pooling.

The deal is that there are 4 hooks on each side. They need to be adjusted to fit the boat (just a velcro thing that can be done in a few minutes). And when you put the cover on each time, you have to walk around & rehook them all under the rub rail after the main cord is pulled tight. This can be tough to do in a boat slip. I usually only hook them if the boat is going to get rained on. And I've run into a few boats where these hooks were never adjusted to fit the boat by the owner or dealer...... and the water pooled up.

The only other exception to that is snow. I don't think there is any way to get around that. A cover that is supported by poles can have permanent damage from snow causing the poles to poke holes in the cover. My Rankin has pooled up a couple times because of snow. I brush off the snow & it tightens right back up with no lasting damage at all.

The cover has elastic in the cover to keep it closed up around the tower legs, but one could use velcro strips to cinch it up tight.

My MC had the factory cover & then a $400 Sunbrella cover from a local shop & both were junk compared to these things. They didn't have the soft material around the windshield, the fit like a glove & were more of a PITA to install.... specifically the straps up & down the sides to the trailer. The hooks are way easier & just as efficient.

Ok, now I can see that Evolution is a superior fit. Thanks for the pix 06vlx, that was the tie breaker for me. Cory should put those on his site. Thanks to all......your first hand experience with Evolution covers helped immensely.

martinarcher

You won't regret it. The Evolution covers rock. There's some more pics of the "hooks" and draw string parts in my thread. Like 06 said, just keep it tight and they fit like a glove. Sounds like Bill just got a bit lazy with his hooks and caused some pooling. Tease2.gif

Check out post #25...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20623-evolution-cover/page__st__20

Ok, now I can see that Evolution is a superior fit. Thanks for the pix 06vlx, that was the tie breaker for me. Cory should put those on his site. Thanks to all......your first hand experience with Evolution covers helped immensely.

that is a good idea, at the least he could put a link to the evolution covers discussions here.

what do you do with the old cs cover once you get the cory cover?

that is a good idea, at the least he could put a link to the evolution covers discussions here.

what do you do with the old cs cover once you get the cory cover?

Since it's an option I'm going out on a limb and guessing he won't get the CS cover.

martinarcher

Thanks Mr. Archer......those pix are the bomb!

No problem. I looked long and hard for pix like I took of mine when I was cover shopping. I knew there are others out there who research and analyze as much as I do. Crazy.gif Glad to help! Rockon.gif

ah yes, my speech impediment...i was curious what to do with my cs cover now that i have an evolution cover.

Hahaha I see. Post it up in the classifieds I'm sure it will go quick for the right price.

? for all of you....Can you get an evolution cover that has more coverage? The back of my boat gets a lot of sunlight on the lift and covering down to the rubrail isn't sufficient. Can you get these to go over the swim platform...or no because of the hooks that attach them?

? for all of you....Can you get an evolution cover that has more coverage? The back of my boat gets a lot of sunlight on the lift and covering down to the rubrail isn't sufficient. Can you get these to go over the swim platform...or no because of the hooks that attach them?

give Cory a call, he can customize however you like.

martinarcher

Cory is more than willing to customize your cover any way you like. I had him add red fabric inside the nose of my cover so it is easy to find the front of it after unfolding it.

Give him a ring and talk it over with him. He'll be more than glad to work with you to make a cover your happy with and it of the highest quality. Rockon.gif

had the factory cover, water pooled in first rain. I ordered an evolution cover, the boat was stuck outside (garage under going some work) in a harsh rain storm last week....absolutely no pooling. Also had to trailer it to the dealer in a rainstorm and the boat was dry when I got it home. can not say enough about the fit and not having to mess with a pole.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Cory yesterday to order a cover. We talked for about 30 minutes and covered everything from how he got into the cover business to his efforts to find a way to recycle canvas scraps. Sooooo cool that he happened to find his recycler on Earth Day! :rockon: This guy is truly passionate about making the very best covers available. When I asked about getting something a little different done to my cover, he said "I have a couple of ideas. Let me think about the best way to do that and I will give you a call tomorrow". I have never even seen one of his covers, but I can tell you he has earned another customer for life. Just a good soul, this guy.

If you believe the warranty is a good indication of quality, how about ten years.........transferable! This makes me think about a cover I bought from (no name) covers about ten years ago. When I ordered the cover, I spoke with the owner to make sure I could trailer with his cover. He said I could trailer with any cover they make. That cover disintegrated at 1.5 years. When I arrived at the lake, the only thing left of the cover was two strings dragging behind the boat. When I called the owner of (no name) covers, he told me none of his covers are trailerable and if I used the cover while trailering the warranty was void. Very different story when the shizz hits the fan. :fingerwag: I asked about a discount on a new cover and the answer was no. Enter Evolution. :cheers: