Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 response tach doesn't read rpm but hour meter still works.

I bought a 2000 response Lx with the LS1, on the test drive all the gauges worked. Went for a ride the other day and noticed the tach doesn't read the rpm's anymore but the hour meter still works. Are there any wiring diagrams or any test i can preform to test the gauge or the source of the tach output?? Or should i just buy an new gauge? any suggestion would be good. Thanks

The hourmeter would simply use a positive voltage signal activated when the key is turned on. The tach relies on a signal from the coil or coil pack to register engine rpm. Troubleshooting would be in order prior to ordering a new tach. There are manuals available on the Malibu website, you might also go over to the Indmar site.

Problem is when you replace the gauge you loose the hours (new gauge will start at zero) but the hours will still be stored on the engine ECM.

-Chris

Yet another thing to consider...when my gauges were still under warranty, my tach died. It was the only gauge that didn't work, so my dealer sent me a new tach and it still didn't work. It turned out to be the MDC that runs the gauges, and upon replacement (for the 3rd time at that point) the original tach worked fine.

I have heard of several instances where a single dead gauge was caused by a bad MDC and not the gauge itself.

well I started a bit of troubleshooting. I couldnt find any loose wires or anything that would look suspect so I pulled the dash panel out. Nothing looked out of the ordinary so I pulled the tach out of the dash panel. One thing I noticed was that the tach has a rattle to it. I pulled the tach apart as far as i could ( bezel, needle and face) and still couldnt find the rattle. The rattle seems to come from behind the board that is rivited in and the back of the plastic housing. I would guess that the gauge isnt supposed to rattle is it?? Any thoughts.???