Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Doesn't engage from neutral

My wakesetter was running well all morning last weekend and in the afternoon after some cruising, the engine would not engage when put into gear. Nothing would happend from neutral to idle...no rpm shift, noise, anything. The local dealer said its pretty significant damage caused from a cracked/broken bell(something). She said it could happen from rapid rpm changes ie: throwing it into reverse from idle...

Does this sound right? I don't ever recall having a massive rpm change like described above...

It could be a couple things.

Most likely a break in the physical connections between the throttle / gear lever and the trans. itself. I would look at that but, you might have an issue where the trans. connects to the rear of the motor (opposite end that the belt is on). Does it look like something got damaged? This is what the local dealer is talking about. If what she thinks happened, you would see what looks like a circular saw blade had gone through the bell housing (which is the rear part of the motor) and broke a lot of stuff.

It seems the 05 models have a problem with dampener failure. Check out this link. Is this what she is talking about?

I know I have read of several 05 members having this problem, and I have followed with interest because I own one.

My wakesetter was running well all morning last weekend and in the afternoon after some cruising, the engine would not engage when put into gear. Nothing would happend from neutral to idle...no rpm shift, noise, anything. The local dealer said its pretty significant damage caused from a cracked/broken bell(something). She said it could happen from rapid rpm changes ie: throwing it into reverse from idle...

Does this sound right? I don't ever recall having a massive rpm change like described above...

Throwing it into reverse from idle is unavoidable. is she saying you shouldn't back your boat up? If you are cruising at 30 and slam it into reverse, I could see her point. Are you sure your trans disengage is not stuck in the disengage position?

It could be a couple things.

Most likely a break in the physical connections between the throttle / gear lever and the trans. itself. I would look at that but, you might have an issue where the trans. connects to the rear of the motor (opposite end that the belt is on). Does it look like something got damaged? This is what the local dealer is talking about. If what she thinks happened, you would see what looks like a circular saw blade had gone through the bell housing (which is the rear part of the motor) and broke a lot of stuff.

So, since I have drive by wire I don't know the answer but I'll throw out the idea. Isn't there a lever where the shift cable ends up that you can manually engage at the transmission? To confirm whether there is a transmission issue or not.

Ya like malibutime says, check out those basics first. I guess I am confused if the OP actually took the boat into the dealer, or if it was just a phone conversation with the dealer.

it wasn't a broken cable because the lever was moving back and forth when moving the throttle from neutral to idle. I called the local nautique dealer and their service guy told me the malibu dockside tech was the best in the business and treats every boat like his own, so that was some nice reassurance. they pulled the boat two days ago, so now just have to wait and see what the damage to the wallet is going to be...