Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IMPELLER?

Do i need to replace my impeller every season? I had no idea this was such a shady part that it should be checked each season? Should it be replaced regardless or whats the deal with the "IMPELLER". Any insite on it for Malibus?

The Impeller is simply a steel hub with rubber fins. All rubber and dry out, crack, and fall apart. I would recommend changing this every season to prevent any kind of damage to your engine. Not worth risking damaage to the engine on a $20 part like an impeller.

Is it a do it yourself type of job or a dealership job?

You can do it yourself. It's more difficult on a V-Drive than it is on a Direct Drive, but it is still do-able if you have even the slightest mechanical skills.

It is a do it yourself type job. Takes like 10 or 15 minutes once you know what is going on.

A number of us have been using the Globe "run dry" impellers by Defender. (see this post). I ran my first one for 2 yrs, almost 200 hrs, and when I pulled it out, it still looked good. The benefit of the "run dry' concept is that they can be run for a total of 15 minutes over the course of the life of the impeller. So a guy like me, who will drain the engine, shower & heater (a sort of "winterize") multiple times in the spring & fall, can start the engine on the trailer for a second just to blow things out, without harming the impeller.

Would this be the correct replacement part? Are new seals and all the other stuff needed or just the impeller wheel?

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=747

I have an 07 VTX about 85 Hrs...

I don't think that's the right impeller. I want to say it's a Johnson 812 or something like that. Check with your dealer, Bake's, or skidim.

Edited by Ndawg12

For later reference,at the end of the season pull out the impeller and rub it down with vasoline. Then put it into a zip lock and hang it in clear site above your work bench for the spring. My have lasted 5 years doing this.

For later reference,at the end of the season pull out the impeller and rub it down with vasoline. Then put it into a zip lock and hang it in clear site above your work bench for the spring. My have lasted 5 years doing this.

:plus1:

I hang mine from the steering wheel.

Interesting because I've heard petroleum based products will break down rubber.

I changed my impeller right when I got the boat so that I was familiar with how it's installed and I wasn't sure if the previous owner ever did in 300 hrs. The impeller was actually in good shape so now it's my spare. If I ever have a problem I have the tools on the boat to change it and clean the tranny cooler on the lake. Then I would buy a new one.

My suggestion is to pull it and inspect it when you winterize, but don't replace it until you need to, always have a spare and always watch your temp gauge.

I changed my impeller right when I got the boat so that I was familiar with how it's installed and I wasn't sure if the previous owner ever did in 300 hrs. The impeller was actually in good shape so now it's my spare. If I ever have a problem I have the tools on the boat to change it and clean the tranny cooler on the lake. Then I would buy a new one.

My suggestion is to pull it and inspect it when you winterize, but don't replace it until you need to, always have a spare and always watch your temp gauge.

Yeah, I don't use vasoline either. I use the silicone goo that comes with a new impeller. However, I do pull mine every winter and leave it out. Otherwise the spines become smashed on one side from sitting all winter in the raw water pump.

EDIT: His lasted 5 years. I guess that could debunk vasoline breaking down rubber. I think another "ok" product to use would be armor all.

Edited by areamike

Impellers are one of those things where 20 guys will give 20 different philosophies on what should or should not be done with the impeller.

I had a Johnson black rubber impeller fail after only 1 season of use. No clue why, but the MC heated up on the AirSanta run Christmas of 2006. 15 minutes to install the backup impeller in & Santa continued on. The next impeller I bought was a Globe. I just decided I was going to run it 2 yrs & see how it went. The rubber was very pliable & all in one piece. The wings were folded over, but straightened out in just a few minutes sitting on the swimstep.

At the same time, one of the guys I ride with has a 2007 Vride that is still running on the original impeller. He's never even pulled it out to look at it. The boat just went over 400 hrs a few weeks ago.

I've seen the Vaseline bit go both ways too. Some say do it, others say don't. I don't even pull my impeller. We use the boat too much in the winter. So 2 yrs & it's done.

If you're going to take the effort to pull it out and inspect it you might as well replace it (especially on a V-drive). What's $35? I replace mine every spring. I had one fail on my first MC during it's second season of use. The boat heated up on the lake and shut down. I pulled the impeller, inspected it, everything looked fine. So, rather than replace it with the spare I carried for such emergencies I put it back in and figured it was some other malfunction. Then I hung my head in shame as a Sea Ray towed me back in. When I got home I called God (good ole Dad). He told me to open the housing, turn the engine over and see if the rubber blades were moving. As always, he was right. The hub was spinning but the blades were motionless. The rubber blades had stripped free from the brass hub. While they looked fine (no cracks, chips, etc) they were useless.