Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 VLX Opinions

BSUBU_Kris

I am considering moving from a 99 Centurion Elite-V to a Malibu. The centurion has been great with no problems but it doesn't have ballast and we have had it since new so just kind of want something different. The slalom wakes on the centurion aren't bad but I wouldn't mind a better wakeboard wake.

Have looked a some used VLX's and am considering a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon engine and power wedge. I still enjoy slalom skiing and know this won't be a tournament boat but still want something with a decent ski wake. I usually ski at 32 to 34 at 15 to 28 off. I will test any boat before I buy but am wondering what folks that have used these boats for a while think of the wakes. I am assuming the wakeboard wake will be significantly better than what I have now.

Also, is there anything I should be looking for with this model / year that could be an issue when purchasing? I do maintenance once a year on the centurion and have never been sidelined when I want to use the boat. I don't want to trade that for something that is not going to be enjoyable because I am having to deal with issues.

Any thoughts and experience owners might be able to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kris

I owned a '03 Centurion Hurricane, same hull as the Elite-V, before jumping to Malibu. The VLX will have a much better wakeboard wake, smoother transitions, easier to build with weight, and not so finicky. The Centurion was a great boat and serve me well, good surf wake, but the Malibu is a big jump in quality.

You might want to look for a diamond hull, which is geared towards slalom and still throws a great wakeboard/surf wake. Bow ballast is an option you might want to aim for too.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search!

I agree with K B. Go for the diamond hull. You will give up a little on the boarding wake but gain a ton on the slalom wake. I just sold my 2003 LSV with the diamond hull and ordered a 2010 LSV with the Diamond. My wife and I both slalom still (along with all types of boarding - wake, skate and surf) and loved the slalom wake of our 03'. Hope our 2010 LSV is as good.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your thoughts here. How do the slalom

wakes on the VLX compare to the Elite-V?

Honestly, I really don't know....never tried slalom behind my VLX. With a wake hull, I'm sure it will be worse.

Here's a great thread about the Diamond vs Wake hulls. You might want to look at a VTX diamond hull, great all around boat. Even though it's a 20' boat, it'll feel a lot larger than an Elite-V since it's a 98" beam. Great deals on them too!

<--2nd page there's a pic of a VTX wake.

Here's a sharp VTX with the diamond hull.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=818953

Edited by k_b_stephens

Thanks for the link. That one looks really nice but doesn't have the wedge. I am willing to purchase anywhere one the West Coast so I really appreciate the link.

Kris

I have a '06 VLX on the standard wake hull and have loved it. It has a great wakeboarding wake, but I don't really care to slalom behind my boat. I have done it and it can be done, but I don't care for the hard bump. If you empty the tanks and get the boat up over 32mph, it makes for an acceptable recreational wake. I have some friends that ski behind my boat all of the time just because we are going out and they can get on their ski.

My previous boat was a '01 Sunsetter VLX, which is on the diamond hull. There was some very mild sacrifice in the wakeboarding wake, but a vast improvement in the slalom wake. Above 28-30mph the wake was a decent enough for going through the course, but not mistake it for a Response.

In the current lineup the VTX on the cut diamond hull is going to give the best combination of v-drive seating, wakeboarding and surf wake, and good slalom wake. We demoed one a couple of times, but ultimately decided to keep our VLX as we liked the wakeboarding wake much more than that from the VTX. Our friends that ski behind the VLX have a DD Ski Nautique, so we go out with them on a regular basis for slalom skiing, and use our boat for wakeboarding and some skiing.