Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Taking care of my hands

Sullivan

Alright, now that I have a fin in my ski, boat is at the lake, water is glass, course is ready my hands are already starting to hurt. This is my first time joining a ski pond and having the right boat and making a serious investment in skiing. I have been skiing solid for the last month and a half and my hands are starting to really callus and maybe start to blister. Any of you guys have any good suggestions? Recomendations on a good pair of gloves or a good handle shape or size?

Your hands will get tougher in time. I use Cornhuskers lotion when mine get really bad/cracked/bleeding, but it's not that big of a deal after a while.

They will get tougher.

But there is a way of wrapping your hand around the handle that seems to help. Murphy showed me how to start at the fingers & wrap my palms around it. Rather than placing the handle in your palm & wrapping your fingers around the handle. Somehow it makes that callous right below your fingers not get pinched as bad. It's a PITA to learn, but eventually it becomes second nature.

I still use gloves too, even in the summer. Hard to find those 1/2 finger gloves too.

- For more info on duct tape click Here

- I'm going to try Masterline's new pro lock gloves this year. Seems like they may help. (any reviews on them so far???)

- From what I've read online it appears that a handle with a diameter of .940" also seems to be quite popular for curing hand issues.

(which I'm also going to try this summer)

- For more info on duct tape click Here

- I'm going to try Masterline's new pro lock gloves this year. Seems like they may help. (any reviews on them so far???)

- From what I've read online it appears that a handle with a diameter of .940" also seems to be quite popular for curing hand issues.

(which I'm also going to try this summer)

Cool, I like the article on the duct tape. Its always been intresting when I have used Duct tape and how to go about wrapping my hands.

Here is a good list of gloves and it looks like they like the Pro Lock gloves: http://waterskimag.com/category/equipment/water-ski-gloves/

Duct taping is great but takes too long and then deal w/ it afterwards... the palm protectors are easy and effective. I tried the prolock and hated them, many times I would regrab the handle and screw up the whole remainder of the pass. I use Accurate's Custom ARS .940" handle.

Oh come on, go back to your subway sandwich rant. :yahoo:

Oh just wait. I'm going there today for Lunch.

How long is your average run? And how often?

Average Barefoot runs: 4-10minutes. And I usually do multiple runs per outing. Last time we were out, I did 5 runs back to back that all were at least 4-5 minute runs. In the summer we foot at least 3-5 times per week. My hands have actually toughened up quite a bit over the years. I only notice tenderness during the winter months when we do not ski as much...I do have calluses across my hands and occasionally they get sore. When that happens, I just change my grip a little.

And I was kidding about the Gloves comment. I heard Ron Scarpa say that once and just thought it was humorous.

I always wear gloves in cold weather and when I slalom.

Oh come on, go back to your subway sandwich rant. :yahoo:

I was thinking surgical gloves. stops all the Sweet onion teritaki sauce from running all over your hands. :biggrin:

I was thinking surgical gloves. stops all the Sweet onion teritaki sauce from running all over your hands. :biggrin:

Does that mean you have taken your mittens off and the lakes are in liquid form now?